Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unbelievable
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HOUSEoPAIN
Manning(ham)

The real story of this off-season seems to be which franchise the 36-year old convalescent can destroy. Manningham just signed with the 49ers, and it's looking more and more like Manning could be with them next year, as Alex Smith meets with the Dolphins and Seahawks.

I understand some franchises prepping for a 'one-and-done' run, but do the 49ers not realize that without that worthless disgrace punt returner causing 2 turnovers they would've been in the Super Bowl? And has anyone yet seen Manning throw? Even if he turns out to be a superstar still, you're immediately going to have to go back to finding your future QB. Very surprising.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 18 2012, 05:38 PM) *
Manning(ham)

The real story of this off-season seems to be which franchise the 36-year old convalescent can destroy. Manningham just signed with the 49ers, and it's looking more and more like Manning could be with them next year, as Alex Smith meets with the Dolphins and Seahawks.

I understand some franchises prepping for a 'one-and-done' run, but do the 49ers not realize that without that worthless disgrace punt returner causing 2 turnovers they would've been in the Super Bowl? And has anyone yet seen Manning throw? Even if he turns out to be a superstar still, you're immediately going to have to go back to finding your future QB. Very surprising.

Even if Manning comes back and is only 50% of what he "was", he will b a 100% upgrade over Alex Smith.
Dreagon
I'm really curious to see how much some team ends up mortgaging so they can end up with a 36 year old QB who may very likely be out of the NFL with the next hit he takes. It's not like he's that mobile either, so whoever is paying this huge wad of cash better have a good offensive line to protect it.

That said, San Francisco makes a lot of sense.

I'm beginning to wonder if Manning even WANTS to replace Tebow.
Rick
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 18 2012, 07:08 PM) *
I'm really curious to see how much some team ends up mortgaging so they can end up with a 36 year old QB who may very likely be out of the NFL with the next hit he takes.

Name one team who doesn't have a QB who is 1 hit away from being out of the NFL. That's the nature of the game regardless of age.

I do, however, understand what you're getting at. I'm not sure I'd franchise the farm to get him although not a bad weapon to have but at what cost...
koolaidluke
WTF? What is all the sympathy with this Alex Smith criminal? He sucks and had he been a decent QB the 9ers would have made the Superbowl. Sure, he's better than Donovan McNabb, but McNabb was the greatest fraud in NFL history.

Given that the whiners D will likely not be as dominant this year they are going to need a real QB to win it all, and now they have that.

And Manning doesn't necessarily only have a year left. A guy like him could play at a high level until he is 40. He is very durable and doesn't take a lot of punishment.
TGryn
In the spirit of the Not-For-Long league:
Smith, 2011: 445 passes thrown, 16 starts, 27 years old
Manning, 2011: 0 passes thrown, 0 starts, 35 years old

I'd be happy to see the 49ers lose Smith and sign Manning, since its unlikely PM makes it through the season and their Plan B is second-year man Colin Kaepernick. Manning right now has echoes of Unitas in San Diego '73, or Namath with the Rams in '77. Older QBs coming off injury and moving to new teams for one last paycheck isn't a recipe for success.
koolaidluke
He isn't playing for a paycheck, he is playing for another ring. He could easily have 4 years left. And he's a big upgrade over worthless Alex Smith.
Dreagon
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 19 2012, 07:15 AM) *
He isn't playing for a paycheck, he is playing for another ring. He could easily have 4 years left. And he's a big upgrade over worthless Alex Smith.

And that's why I think he'll end up in San Francisco. I know he has had a great career, but you know it's gotta stick in his craw every time he looks over to see Eli polishing two trophies. He's going to want to balance that out.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 19 2012, 07:25 AM) *

Don't forget 3,100 yds in a Gore-driven offense, with 17 td/5 ints and a 90 QB rating. I think it was a big mistake to even be entertaining bringing him to SF, now Smith is all pissed off and even if it doesn't happen this is how locker room and attitude problems start *ahem* DJax. Every NFL QB might be 'one hit away' from getting knocked out of the league, but there's a reason teams typically don't mortgage their franchises for 36 year olds coming off of devastating injuries, regardless of their past success.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 19 2012, 07:25 AM) *

Don't forget 3,100 yds in a Gore-driven offense, with 17 td/5 ints and a 90 QB rating. I think it was a big mistake to even be entertaining bringing him to SF, now Smith is all pissed off and even if it doesn't happen this is how locker room and attitude problems start *ahem* DJax. Every NFL QB might be 'one hit away' from getting knocked out of the league, but there's a reason teams typically don't mortgage their franchises for 36 year olds coming off of devastating injuries, regardless of their past success.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.