Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JoePa Stadium?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HOUSEoPAIN
Really?

Basically, PAs registered voters approve 46-40 for renaming Beaver Stadium after Joe Paterno, and also the road leading to the stadium. The problem is obvious, as the article shows - everytime we hear the name 'Paterno' for the rest of our lives, we're going to think of kids beig molested with impunity by his DC for over a decade, and rightly so. While the poll was obviously designed to stir shit (ESPN style), there's a growing movement to rename the stadium. Will it happen?
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 16 2012, 03:01 PM) *
Really?

Basically, PAs registered voters approve 46-40 for renaming Beaver Stadium after Joe Paterno, and also the road leading to the stadium. The problem is obvious, as the article shows - everytime we hear the name 'Paterno' for the rest of our lives, we're going to think of kids beig molested with impunity by his DC for over a decade, and rightly so. While the poll was obviously designed to stir shit (ESPN style), there's a growing movement to rename the stadium. Will it happen?

As a Penn State dad, and a kid who more than 50 years ago was abused by his parish priest, my half century long support of Joe Pa died when I found out he was a pedophile supporter. Inaction is almost as devastating as action and is hated every bit as much by the abused. I would never give them a single cent again. I will always look at him as a great coach but a cowardly failed hypocrite of a man. This renaming would be a dishonor to all the kids abused in his workplace and under the supposed care of his long-time right hand man.
Rick
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Mar 16 2012, 04:49 PM) *
As a Penn State dad, and a kid who more than 50 years ago was abused by his parish priest, my half century long support of Joe Pa died when I found out he was a pedophile supporter. Inaction is almost as devastating as action and is hated every bit as much by the abused. I would never give them a single cent again. I will always look at him as a great coach but a cowardly failed hypocrite of a man. This renaming would be a dishonor to all the kids abused in his workplace and under the supposed care of his long-time right hand man.

Well-said from someone who (unfortunately) knows what it's like to be the victim.

I think it would be ridiculous for them to do so. I hope they're not considering it.
TGryn
I suspect the eventual trials will shift that opinion quite a bit, though which way remains to be seen.
D Rock
I agree that it would be in very poor taste to name anything other than a jail cell after Mr. Paterno.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 16 2012, 06:18 PM) *
I agree that it would be in very poor taste to name anything other than a jail cell after Mr. Paterno.

cheers.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Mar 16 2012, 04:49 PM) *

Yeah man. I'm sorry for what happened to you and many others, personally I wouldn't lose any sleep over putting child molesters to death, I think it's a crime equal to murder, in many cases above murder. I hope these boys go on to overcome their demons and live fulfilling lives, and the best way to start that is tough justice for Sandusky. I loved Paterno as did tens of millions of people, but you simply cannot excuse his knowledge of what was going on. God knows I tried talking myself out of his part in this when it first came out, maybe he didnt know, maybe he didnt have proper information whatever, but sadly it appears he knew full well what happened and didn't make sure it was stopped. As TGryn mentioned, the trial will reveal more info, and we can decide for ourselves the level of knowledge and cover-up everyone involved had. It's a real damn shame.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 16 2012, 08:20 PM) *
I hope these boys go on to overcome their demons and live fulfilling lives, and the best way to start that is tough justice for Sandusky.

TG is right, time will answer many questions. Still the problem as I have known it is simple, it is a demon you can never escape. It's like combat experiences, they haunt you for the rest of your life. My dear lady and I played golf and then went to dinner with very good friends yesterday. When unexpectedly a related question came up I had to come out to them about my childhood. I ended up blubbering and teary eyed as the pain and shame once more rushed back. This is not easy and I feel strongly for those kids, God help them!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.