Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DJax 5 yrs 51 mil
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
bebina
Wow I really didn't expect him to get that much but hey its is what it is.

Details here http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/142677605.html
koolaidluke
greatest crime in history
HOUSEoPAIN
I'm glad we kept him but I'm surprised at the kind of money he's getting. Sadly, this will do little to deflate the egos and behaviors of young asshole skill players - "whine, get in trouble, holdout, and look what happens"

Oh well. Hopefully there's some sort of behavior clause in that contract.....
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (bebina @ Mar 14 2012, 04:56 PM) *

The way its structured they could get out of it after 2 years and with about 15-18m guaranteed, it looks like Rosencrud was not as aggressive as usual. The numbers look better from a distance, but the FO left an escape route. This year they only have like a 3M cap hit from him...freeing up 6M in the process with the tag no longer valid. For all Koolaid's bitchin, DJax draws double teams all the time, freeing up either Maclin or Celek to haul in more catches. Pretty good deal for him and the club.
bebina
QUOTE (bebina @ Mar 14 2012, 04:56 PM) *

That guaranteed number is much better than the santonio holmes contract that some wanted us to match but not go over...

If he plays like he did '10-'11 he'll be a steal

But if he plays like last year afraid to go down the middle giving up on plays, dropping multiple balls then he'll be overpaid imo.
koolaidluke
first of all, you don't really want to send Desean down the middle, that's a misuse of his skills. Give him space so he can work his speed.

Now I am hearing that Mathis won't be resigned. He was the best LG in football last year. I am devestated. We really can't afford to be fucking around with our OL right now. What in Gods name is going on?
koolaidluke
<i>If he plays like he did '10-'11 he'll be a steal</i>

Oh great, so he can hold out again next year and declare himself underpaid? Science has proven DeSean sucks.
bebina
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 14 2012, 05:29 PM) *
<i>If he plays like he did '10-'11 he'll be a steal</i>

Oh great, so he can hold out again next year and declare himself underpaid? Science has proven DeSean sucks.

lol you must be the biggest djax hater of all time for 2 seasons straight you hate for djax has made me lmao...keep it coming....they have more tan enough money for mathis they have 20 million in cap space with the signings and extensions today...no excuse for them not resigning him and a lb...and they will have even more cap space when they trade away asante
koolaidluke
the word is no Mathis. This is terrible. I can live with DJax, I can't live without Mathis. I would rather have never been born that have the Eagles not resign Evan Mathis.
BirdsWinBaby
well there ya have it...the eagles have solidified their intention to run a finesse offense centered around a 4 TD a year guy....i had hoped for better but in retrospect, its all AR knows

as for the contract number, even if its the 18mill guaranteed, the eagles made a wise choice if Djax is their focus. this year a franchise tag was 9-10million. next year it would no doubt be more. so instead of giving him two franchise tags for 20+, they get him for 2yrs/18million with an option to keep him longer and also give him a salary that he can take into the locker room with pride (even if he will never see most of it)

disappointed that they think Djax is what they need....but good move if that is a given
Rick
Very glad we kept him. Just hope he comes back strong.
Birdman420
I'm good with this also he's an asset if he shows up. What to be done with the tag now?
Dreagon
As mentioned above, it makes more sense than to franchise him on a year by year basis.
TGryn
There's been some games where we've seen defenses playing their safeties way back, primarily because they've seen that DJax can burn teams deep if they try and play their standard defense. McCoy's success, and to a lesser degree that of Celek and Maclin and Avant, comes from exploiting all that extra space & not having the safeties sneaking up to try and take away McCoy's running holes. Its a pretty good combination when all the pieces are on the field.

That's also what you're paying the big $$$ for, not just Jackson's individual stats. When we had guys like Thrash and Small at that spot, that wasn't something defenses had to plan for. Even single-note deep threat guys like Pinkston and Jells didn't bring that, because teams knew they could usually put a single corner on them and they wouldn't be hurt too much.
HobbEs
For all Koolaid's bitchin, DJax draws double teams all the time, freeing up either Maclin or Celek to haul in more catches. Pretty good deal for him and the club

This. Not to mention there's not a single WR in the league that brings such a unique skill set to the table.

For all the Koolaid Lukes out there that complain you can't send him across the middle well that's what Maclin, Avant and Celek are for. DJax opens up that whole middle with his speed on the outside.
canadianeagle
Considering Garcon signed for 43 mill and V. Jackson signed for 55 mill -- I think this is a fair price. BTW. I've heard the actual amount is 48.5 million not 51. No sure which number is accurate.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 14 2012, 05:13 PM) *
Sadly, this will do little to deflate the egos and behaviors of young asshole skill players - "whine, get in trouble, holdout, and look what happens"

Oh well. Hopefully there's some sort of behavior clause in that contract.....

Yer kiddin....I hope.

One of the most exciting young players to have come our way to our luck, you can't walk in his shoes or be generosity minded for him ?

Dude ... if guy gets hurt it's a life time negative experience typically for these guys. Let them get their FAIR share of the HUGE money pie circulating and sit back and enjoy .... djax is not a trouble maker .... far from it .... he's just a young, exceptionally talented stud who is aware of the realities of the short time clock for even the best of them.

Plus ... he's superb, but he's small. One wrong hit one wrong way and his days are done. He has to protect his talent by realistic and appropriate compensation.

I'm pleased for the kid. He's on my team and I say ... PAY HIM WHAT HE'S WORTH AND HE'S WORTH A BUNDLE.

Glad to have you connected by contract DJas .... one of the bright stars on our star packed roster ....

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!!!

BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Mar 15 2012, 08:23 AM) *
Not to mention there's not a single WR in the league that brings such a unique skill set to the table.

and yet....

somehow, some way, some team OTHER THAN the team that has "such a unique skill set" wins a trophy year after year after year after year

how on earth do those other teams "open up that whole middle" without "such a unique skill set?"

welcome to philly. the only place in the NFL where "cant win without a djax" makes sense
Rick
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Mar 15 2012, 02:40 PM) *
and yet....

somehow, some way, some team OTHER THAN the team that has "such a unique skill set" wins a trophy year after year after year after year

how on earth do those other teams "open up that whole middle" without "such a unique skill set?"

welcome to philly. the only place in the NFL where "cant win without a djax" makes sense

Who said anything about not winning without him. It's a valid argument that he makes our current receiving corp better with his speed. This team has a ton of other problems which keep them from winning. Djax is not one of those problems.
HobbEs
Who said anything about not winning without him. It's a valid argument that he makes our current receiving corp better with his speed. This team has a ton of other problems which keep them from winning. Djax is not one of those problems.

And yet these same people who are crying about signing DJax would be pissing and moaning that the front office is cheap if they let him sign elsewhere.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Mar 15 2012, 03:09 PM) *
And yet these same people who are crying about signing DJax would be pissing and moaning that the front office is cheap if they let him sign elsewhere.

perhaps some.....and i get the "never satisfy those fickle philly fans" cliche

but i for one have said several times that i didnt want him here
Rick
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Mar 15 2012, 04:09 PM) *

Personally, I wouldn't say they're cheap. I'd say, many times, they make strange moves. Had they not signed Djax I would understand why they didn't (at this point) but I wouldn't have thought it was a good idea.

Why are you arguing about something which didn't happen is my question. You don't know what people would have thought any more than I would.
HobbEs
Why are you arguing about something which didn't happen is my question. You don't know what people would have thought any more than I would.

Stick around here long enough and you will. laugh.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Mar 15 2012, 04:09 PM) *

Cheers. Kool-aid doesn't count because he's just a troll (or a complete idiot, whichever you prefer) but others who don't like this would turn rabid against the FO pretty fast the first time DJax returns a punt on us wearing a star or 'NY' on his helmet.

I don't think he should've received this much, and I certainly don't like the fact that first-degree douchebaggery by an NFL player has once again been rewarded with top-5 money, but I want him here. He has 28 all-purpose touchdowns, and about 4,500 receiving/rushing yds in 4 years. As someone else mentioned, perhaps his greatest asset is drawing attention away from Maclin and Avant. While I love Maclin, I think he's made to look better than he really is because DJax is on the field. In AR's pass-pass-pass scheme, we need him, unless we managed to draw Mike Wallace away from Pitt which isn't happening.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Mar 16 2012, 08:21 AM) *
Stick around here long enough and you will. laugh.gif

I was just thinking that.........exactly correct......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.