Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On eve of FA, Eagles have 11 UFAs
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
TGryn
2012 Eagles unrestricted free agents:
DE Victor Abiamiri, RB Ronnie Brown, T King Dunlap, WR DeSean Jackson, DT Derek Landri, DT Trevor Laws, LG Evan Mathis, DE Juqua Parker, FB Owen Schmitt, WR Steve Smith, QB Vince Young

They obviously franchise tagged DJax, but I was hoping they've been able to reach an agreement with Landri and Mathis. In fairness, the number of contract extensions made in the NFL the past week has been fairly sparse. Some of that may be because the actual cap number teams had to play with wasn't known until yesterday, but it looks like every team is approaching FA with a "let the market set your worth" approach towards their own players, even for guys they would like to have back.

According to http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...as-of-march-11/ we're currently ~$9 million under the cap, which places us 19th in total cap space. They can clear $8.5 million by moving Asante Samuel, $3 mil by cutting Patterson, and ~$2 mil by cutting Justice.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 12 2012, 03:03 PM) *
DE Victor Abiamiri, RB Ronnie Brown, T King Dunlap, WR DeSean Jackson, DT Derek Landri, DT Trevor Laws, LG Evan Mathis, DE Juqua Parker, FB Owen Schmitt, WR Steve Smith, QB Vince Young

They obviously franchise tagged DJax, but I was hoping they've been able to reach an agreement with Landri and Mathis. In fairness, the number of contract extensions made in the NFL the past week has been fairly sparse. Some of that may be because the actual cap number teams had to play with wasn't known until yesterday, but it looks like every team is approaching FA with a "let the market set your worth" approach towards their own players, even for guys they would like to have back.

According to http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...as-of-march-11/ we're currently ~$9 million under the cap, which places us 19th in total cap space. They can clear $8.5 million by moving Asante Samuel, $3 mil by cutting Patterson, and ~$2 mil by cutting Justice.

Mathis and Landri can't sign new contracts until Tuesday after 4 pm per league rules, and outside Schmitt would you really miss the rest?
TGryn
I can't find the link now, but I read yesterday that this is the largest free agency class ever, and there's a good chance there could actually be more players available in a couple of weeks than there are now, as teams cut more vets to free up cap room. The gist of the article was that teams who are patient and don't commit large amounts of their cap early on could find some excellent opportunities out there, with a huge glut of vets realizing the phone isn't ringing and they need to bring down their contract demands.

Given that the Eagles don't have excess cap space to throw around this year, it could make sense to do deals like Herremans' and Cole's and husband their cap until things settle down. That'll be frustrating from a "no news YET?!?" thing, but as I try to tell myself, they're not playing games for a long time, and come August we won't care if a guy was signed in mid-March or in April.
bebina
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 12 2012, 04:03 PM) *

The one's in bold are the only one's I would resign
bebina
QUOTE (bebina @ Mar 14 2012, 04:44 PM) *
The one's in bold are the only one's I would resign

I'd rather wait it out to see what else is out there...I would still jump on the lb wagon right now though and getting asante far away from this team must be a priority
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.