Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kuechly and Conner to anchor new age of Eagles LBs
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
How about that for a change? Conner moves out to SAM and Kuechly plays the middle.

Any takers?
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 9 2012, 06:33 AM) *
How about that for a change? Conner moves out to SAM and Kuechly plays the middle.

Any takers?

Count me in again and again. Having not one but two seriously good run stoppers behind the Wide 9 would make me believe again in our chance to have a great defense, capable of carrying us to the big game.

Unfortunately, I don't think Kuechly is around at 15. He may be gone in the first 10. There are better ways to combine our $ and draft pics than to spend a bunch moving up that high.
Zero
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Mar 9 2012, 08:21 AM) *
Count me in again and again. Having not one but two seriously good run stoppers behind the Wide 9 would make me believe again in our chance to have a great defense, capable of carrying us to the big game.

Unfortunately, I don't think Kuechly is around at 15. He may be gone in the first 10. There are better ways to combine our $ and draft pics than to spend a bunch moving up that high.

Kuechly would be ideal but Mychal Kendricks might be an option later allowing them to draft a DT in the first round.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 9 2012, 09:22 AM) *
Kuechly would be ideal but Mychal Kendricks might be an option later allowing them to draft a DT in the first round.

Kendricks would be an excellent choice. He may look like a fireplug but he has speed, athleticism and talent to burn. If they think they could still grab him in the 2nd or go the Henderson FA route, that would allow Andy to do what he likes ie package a pick and move up to grab someone like Tannehill as his QB of the future.
D Rock
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 9 2012, 12:33 PM) *

Any takers?

Sweet. I'd be very happy w that solution o our decade long lb trouble.
koolaidluke
I don't know anything about either of those guys but I am happy with our LBs. I certainly don't want to use high draft picks that could go to a position that actually matters (DL, OL, QB, WR, TE, CB, S).

The Giants showed in the Superbowl that linebackers really just don't matter. It is all about the front 4.

Our biggest hole on D isn't LB anyway. All of our LBs are above average. Our biggest hole is DRC who simply sucks.
_KAMELOT_
I don't like Kuechly. He can't break free from blocks and most of his tackles were after the back got 5-8 yards. We need Hightower or Burfict.
GQSmooth
QUOTE (_KAMELOT_ @ Mar 10 2012, 12:28 PM) *
I don't like Kuechly. He can't break free from blocks and most of his tackles were after the back got 5-8 yards. We need Hightower or Burfict.

Forget Hightower or Burfict. Burfict is slow and stupid. Hightower is over rated.
_KAMELOT_
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Mar 10 2012, 07:51 PM) *
Forget Hightower or Burfict. Burfict is slow and stupid. Hightower is over rated.

Can't agree with you...if someone is overrated, that's Kuechly, imo.
TGryn
Lawlor on the Connor rumor:
http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles...ation-overload/

Mosher said he had heard from a source that the Eagles were interested in Connor. He also mentioned that another source said Connor was more of a backup plan and nothing was likely to happen. The second part is the key to his report. The Eagles have interest in Dan Connor, but as part of Plan B or Plan C or Plan D. He is not an offseason target. He is a contingency plan. And that's exactly what Connor should be. He's not so good you say "get me that guy". He is a serviceable veteran who could do the job if the better options haven't worked out. I watched tape of Connor and that's the way I feel about him. He would be an upgrade on what we had in 2011, but he's not the guy I ideally want to solve our problems at MLB.

http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles-2/luke-at-sam/

The most intriguing scenario is for the Eagles to sign David Hawthorne and then draft Luke Kuechly and put one at MLB and the other at SAM. You could figure out which combination worked best and then go with that. Hawthorne played WLB in Seattle in the 2010 season. He's got starting experience at OLB. Kuechly has the better SAM frame at 6'3, 242. He was mostly a MLB in college, but did play WLB for part of his Freshman season. Kuechly played Safety back in HS.

I truly doubt the Eagles go this way at LB. Adding a key FA LB and then using a Top 15 pick on a LB would be a huge change for them. Expect one or the other. If they did want to be aggressive, the team could add both guys and I think they could make it work.

navyeagles
QUOTE (_KAMELOT_ @ Mar 10 2012, 01:28 PM) *

Burfict was the worst rated LB at the combine.. I woiuldnt touch him until the 7th round.. Trash.
TGryn
Burfict had perhaps one of the worst combine performances in the event's history, both athletically and in interviews. It's hard to believe, but he really should have stayed home.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Mar 9 2012, 11:42 AM) *
Kendricks would be an excellent choice. He may look like a fireplug but he has speed, athleticism and talent to burn. If they think they could still grab him in the 2nd or go the Henderson FA route, that would allow Andy to do what he likes ie package a pick and move up to grab someone like Tannehill as his QB of the future.

Funny that Lawlor comes out now with an evaluation of the Tannehill possibility. He's right on IMO.

"Letís talk about a scenario. Peyton goes to Seattle. Flynn signs with Miami. Cleveland could spend the #4 overall pick on Tannehill or they could decide heís not worth it and they could focus on taking Brandon Weeden with pick 22. If this happens, there is a possibility that Tannehill would be on the board at pick 15. If that happens, there is a very real possibility that the Eagles would take him.

Iíve talked about how trading up for RG3 didnít make all that much sense to me. Tannehill at 15 would be a different story. The problem with RG3 is that the Eagles would have used a lot of resources to make that move. They would have spent multiple picks in multiple years to address a position that wasnít a need. I just donít think you can do that.

Taking Tannehill at 15 is far different. This would be more like the Packers taking Aaron Rodgers when they had Brett Favre already in place. If a good QB drops to you, there is nothing wrong with adding him. You are then spending one pick on the player. And the Eagles may not have any needs depending on what they do in FA. Focus on the word needs. There is always a desire to upgrade positions and focus on youth, but you can consider taking Tannehill doing that very same thing.

I also think there is a major distinction in expectations and pressure. If you trade up using a bunch of resources, that player needs to get on the field soon. How would Mike Vick react to that? Suddenly heís on a major hot seat. If you take Tannehill at 15, he can sit for a couple of years, just like Rodgers. If Vick is playing great, you deal Tannehill. If Vick is up and down, you let them battle for the job.

I donít know for a fact that the Eagles like Tannehill. Iím making an assumption. Heís big and athletic. Heís a good passer. Smart kid. Played for Mike Sherman, who Andy worked with in Green Bay. I still think Tannehill is unlikely to get to 15, but if he doesÖcould be an Eagles target."

The Ole Dutchman rests hi scase.

TGryn
I think we'd have to trade up to around #10/#11 to have a shot at Tannehill, considering he's the next "available" QB in the draft since Luck and RGIII appear to know their destinations already, and the RGIII trade gives some idea how valued QB is these days (e.g. "very")

Swapping picks to #10/#11 would probably cost our 3rd rounder, and I would definitely do that. If it'd take one of our second rounders, I'd be more hesitant but would probably bite the bullet in the end and make the trade. Its not so much that Tannehill is a once-in-a-decade prospect - he isn't - but we're right in the window where we can sit a rookie behind Vick for this year and maybe 2013 as well, and have him ready to take over whenever we move on from Vick. And if we're going to do that, go out and best the best QB prospect we can.

Needless to say, we have to hope that Flynn and Manning end up with teams above us in the draft order (Dolphins/Browns/Seahawks) to cut down the odds a little.
_KAMELOT_
Connor signed with the 'Boys - we got lucky with that. Lofton, Tulloch and Hawthorne should be the Eagles' targets, not Connor.

I pray we pass on Kuechly too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.