Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Conlin accused of child molestation
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Good to see more of these stories coming to light...for the sake of further educating the public.

http://deadspin.com/5869737/legendary-colu...uirer-bombshell
BirdsWinBaby
The Philadelphia Inquirer's top investigative reporter, Nancy Phillips, has written a story containing what we're told are allegations of child molestation against sportswriter Bill Conlin, a longtime columnist at the rival Daily News.

rival? its the same company...i will wait to read the story
mcnabbulous
All judgement should be reserved in any case like this. Allegedly (according to the always reliable Twitter) it has to do with molesting a girl 40+ years ago.

That's all the info I've seen thus far.

Edit: girls
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 20 2011, 02:46 PM) *
All judgement should be reserved in any case like this. Allegedly (according to the always reliable Twitter) it has to do with molesting a girl 40+ years ago.

That's all the info I've seen thus far.

Edit: girls

If I read the story correctly there are (reportedly) 3 girl and 1 boy relatives, plus 3 more girls from the Whitman Rd school. I understand their feelings even now 40 years later. It has been more than 50 for me and I am still furious. Eliminate all statute of pervert protections aka limitations!!
TGryn
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking...s_children.html

http://deadspin.com/5869867/a-guide-to-the...nst-bill-conlin

* Looks like the statue of limitations shields Conlin from any prosecution, except in the court of public opinion.

* The number of accusers on-the-record against Conlin in the article is pretty damning. The sequence of events has the ring of truth to it, also, with the story not coming out until after Conlin's wife died, then the relatives started comparing experiences. I can definitely believe that happening.

* I also have to say, and maybe this is just me, but to my eyes an innocent guy doesn't immediately offer his retirement/resignation upon being accused, even if it means putting his pension at risk.
Zero
In my view, it doesn't matter how long it's been or who the perp is. Any level of child abuse is inexcusable and needs to be punished quickly and severely. Children are defenseless victims and the future of the species. There's a reason one should never place himself between a bear and it's cub and the same should appy to humans with similar consequences.
BirdsWinBaby
i agree that there should be no statute of limitation on abuse as long as the time elapsed hasnt precluded the ability to prove guilt....but i find it very odd that this isnt just a case of a pedophile abusing children secretly. according to the story parent after parent after parent KNEW of this abuse and did nothing aside from 'hey man dont do that anymore'? WHY? cuz he was really sorry and cried? time after time? one guy says Conlin molested his son ANNNND his daughter? WTF?

Conlin is allegedly allowed to roam thru a family full of small children as the dangerously creepy old uncle and nobody called the police? no adult wanted to protect their children or other family members? but suddenly in 2011 they want complain about a limitation law? seriously?

pedophilia warrants death in my view so i dont have any sympathy for Conlin, but the adults who let the abuse go unreported and unpunished until 2011 are just as culpable. if this is true i am very pissed at every single adult who allowed (yes...allowed) their child to be abused
mcnabbulous
I'm not suggesting that the parents actions are justified, but the act itself is rather taboo and inevitably was even more so 40 years ago. The biggest concern is the possibility (and I would imagine probability) of more victims since. It's conceivable that the parents in those days assumed that a stern warning was capable of changing his future actions...which seems naive by today's standards.

Once again, it's not a good excuse, but I think it's at least conceivable that JoePa may have downplayed things when passing the information along to Curley/Schultz because of the nature of the subject. I've never had that type of conversation with a 77 year old man, but I can imagine it to be uncomfortable and unnatural.
Flying Dutchman
They found tons of evidence in the pervert priest's case back 50+ yrs ago. They supposedly shipped him out west for treatment. They then proceeded to assign him to various parishes and high schools around Camden Diocese where he went right back to his passion for teenage boys. Eventually they even made him monsignor and gave him a prestigeous parish to rule. t took 40 years and the growth of the internet and SNAP an organization for abused survivors for me to locate a bunch of other guys who suffered as I did from the same POS. If anything one's anger can easily explode after so many years when the lid is taken off. I seriously considered the possible forms of retribution. See for ages I was told by my Dad is forget it. It turns out the church had threatened him with excommunication if he spoke up. They pressured our families into being "good Catholics for the sake of the Catholic church!" I am sure they will eventually find more things happened over time with both Conlin and Sandusky. They just don't change.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Dec 21 2011, 12:06 PM) *
I am sure they will eventually find more things happened over time with both Conlin and Sandusky. They just don't change.

Once again, Dutch...your insight on this subject is appreciated. Obviously, no one can relate the way you can.

Based on your personal experience, the actions of the parents in this case seem pretty standard, right? People likely thought Conlin could be "fixed" with a stern warning.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 21 2011, 12:31 PM) *
Once again, Dutch...your insight on this subject is appreciated. Obviously, no one can relate the way you can.

Based on your personal experience, the actions of the parents in this case seem pretty standard, right? People likely thought Conlin could be "fixed" with a stern warning.

That plus they had the typical beliefs of their generation ie.
1 The topic of molestation is not something for public discussion
2 Any public discussion would bring shame on the family (somehow being a victim was a sin/crime as serious as being the perp) because YOU cast the family in poor light
3 If you sweep it under the rug the problem will just go away (for the parents anyway, no-one gave any consideration to the short and long-term effects on the victim)
4 Any adult who commits such an act would certainly refrain from further abusive conduct once warned, simply because as an adult they had complete control over their actions.

It was a hard lesson about the inate hypocrisy of our govt. and religious institutions.
Flying Dutchman
Sadly, two more vics have gone public since yesterday bringing their number to 6.
TGryn
This is an old thread, but wanted to note for anyone who missed it that Conlin died earlier this week. I hope some good can come to someone of that; he never faced charges in court, so I doubt his victims/accusers feel much sense of justice or satisfaction from his passing.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20140109...isgrac.html?c=r

Bill Conlin, a Daily News sports columnist whose writing sparkled with incision and erudition, but whose career ended in the disgrace of child-molestation accusations, died yesterday in Largo, Fla. He was 79. Conlin resigned from the Daily News on Dec. 20, 2011, shortly before the publication of stories in the Inquirer about accusations that he molested seven children in the 1960s and '70s.

Six women and one man told the Inquirer that Conlin had abused them in Margate and Washington Township, Gloucester County. Because the assaults happened decades ago, no criminal charges could be filed.

Conlin died in the Largo Medical Center, to which he had been admitted with multiple illnesses, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diabetes and a colon infection.
Jax
Altogether very sad story.
mcnabbulous
Does anyone know what ever came of the allegations? Did he every address them?
HOUSEoPAIN
I thought this fucker was a depraved maniac when he decided not to vote Nolan Ryan into the HOF - now THIS?!?!?

If there's a hell, he's certainly there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.