Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the flyers are actually doing...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
patrock
all hail the modern day bullies. that was quite a game and feat the flyguys accomplished last night and never forget that it's been done with a career minor league goalie. simply unbelievable! all this team did was barely squeeze into the playoffs and play like a team with nothing to lose, just like the well-remembered banner comment on the eagles' corporate strategy...be competitive every year, make the playoffs, and see what happens.

philly is a strange sports city these days with the phillies being expected to get to the world series every year as one of the dominant teams in baseball. the sixers have fallen off the sports pages as one of the worst teams in the NBA. the eagles and flyers are somewhere in between, being good enough to make the playoffs in their sports, but probably not go far in them. except that the flyers have gone far this year and have a reasonable chance of bringing home the stanley cup!

i grew up in the time when philly was the "city of champions" and this era is beginning to feel similar. beginning in early '08, it was the arena league soul who brought us our first championship. okay, maybe not quite in a league with the others, but it was a start. then the phillies brought the world championship home later that year. villanova won the 1AA football championship this past december, following another world series appearance by the fightins'. and in june of this year, the flyers might just lead a parade of their own down broad street.

accross the street from the wachovia center, all the eagles have contributed to this mix is the oppurtunity to celebrate and commemorate their last NFL championship...50 years after the fact. it's time for lurie, banner and reid to step it up and join the others. just being good isn't good enough. make it happen somehow. keep the city's momentum going. bring home the lombardi now!
TGryn
What the Flyers have accomplished so far isn't that different from what the Eagles did in '08: play just well enough to get to the playoffs, then get hot once they were there.
xsv
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 25 2010, 08:25 AM) *
What the Flyers have accomplished so far isn't that different from what the Eagles did in '08: play just well enough to get to the playoffs, then get hot once they were there.

Except they won the conference finals.

To me, that's the difference between the '10 flyers, and about 200 other runn 'o the mill stories you could tell about any NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL team.

In other words, it's "quite far different" actually.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (TGryn @ May 25 2010, 08:25 AM) *

Yep, I would definitely consider winning an OT shootout on the final day of the season to make the playoffs "just well enough" biggrin.gif

With that said:

GO
FLYERS!!!
Reality Fan
of course the Flyers were picked to win the Stanley Cup by the Hockey News to start the year, that is a bit different...

That being said, I love it, have been a Flyers fan since I was a teenager and started following hockey, have been to countless games and love the new coach.

I started to lose interest when Stevens was named coach because he just was just so uninspiring and I hated his system.

Great to see them so aggressive again.
SLOiggles
I'm curious how the majority of you feel about the finals. As a Chicago fan in all other sports other than football, I'm not too knowledgeable about this flyers team.

Chicago's run through these playoffs have been on excellent goaltending and outstanding defense in front of the crease. Campbell and Keith have been great and they've gotten a lot out of Sopel. The problem is that sometimes they can get lackadaisical and that's when Niemi starts looking ordinary.

Have the flyers been committing a high number of penalties? Which goaltender is hotter? I'm hoping that it's a good series, of course, my vested interest differs from all here...but if these games are anything like the San Jose series I'll be pleased regardless of the outcome. (make no doubt about it, San Jose played very well and didn't choke, they were beaten)
Reality Fan
While Leighton and Boucher have made some great saves it is the defense in front of them that has been incredible. The only game Montreal won was when that D broke down. They push all of the shots to the wings and makes it much easier for the goaltender cutting down the angles. My guess is that these are going to be some low scoring games.
patrock
QUOTE (SLOiggles @ May 25 2010, 09:59 PM) *
I'm curious how the majority of you feel about the finals. As a Chicago fan in all other sports other than football, I'm not too knowledgeable about this flyers team.

Chicago's run through these playoffs have been on excellent goaltending and outstanding defense in front of the crease. Campbell and Keith have been great and they've gotten a lot out of Sopel. The problem is that sometimes they can get lackadaisical and that's when Niemi starts looking ordinary.

Have the flyers been committing a high number of penalties? Which goaltender is hotter? I'm hoping that it's a good series, of course, my vested interest differs from all here...but if these games are anything like the San Jose series I'll be pleased regardless of the outcome. (make no doubt about it, San Jose played very well and didn't choke, they were beaten)

the flyers certainly benefitted greatly from montreal taking out washington and pittsburgh. they don't seem to excel against teams with great superstars, rather winning and playing well with "grit" in the words of jeremy roenick. if the flyers can outhustle and outphysical the blackhawks, it'll be a good, long series.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.