Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 Eagles Receiver Among 10 Best in NFC East
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
footballboss
Who do you guys think is the best WR in the NFC East?

This site ranked the Top 10 in the NFC East...
10. Devin Thomas, Redskins
Devin was able to work his way into the starting role of the Washington Redskins last season and finished the season with 10 starts under his belt. Against the Superbowl Champion Saints, Thomas had 7 catches for over 100 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns. Look for Thomas to become a household name in 2010.

9. Roy Williams, Cowboys
As the Cowboys selected Dez Bryant in the 1st round of the NFL Draft, Roy Williams became the 3rd best receiver on the Cowboys roster behind both Bryant and Miles Austin. Williams has not found his way in Wade Phillips system yet, but will hope to get back on track this season. If he does not however, his days in Dallas will be over.

8. Jeremy Maclin, Eagles
Maclin had a decent 2009 season with flashes of greatness as a speedy deep threat. As he continues to learn the game, look for Maclin to breakout this season and help youngster QB Kevin Kolb establish a career.

7. Hakeem Nicks, Giants
Hakeem came in as a rookie last season and translated perfectly into the Giants’ offensive scheme. Nicks averaged 16.8 yards per catch, averaging more than 2 yards more than any other Giants’ receiver.

6. Mario Manningham, Giants
Manningham is speed. As this youngster continues to become a student of the game, he continues to improve as one of the NFC East’s best receivers. The Giants have a great spread scheme in which he, Hakeem Nicks, and Steve Smith provide solid targets for Superbowl Champion QB, Eli Manning.

5. Santana Moss, Redskins
Year in and year out Santana Moss puts up great numbers. As his performance begins to decline due to age, look for this veteran to have one last solid season as he’ll be receiving from the best QB he’s ever had the opportunity to receive from, Donovan McNabb.

4. Dez Bryant, Cowboys
Coach Wade Phillips is saying that this may be the most extraordinary talent he has coached in his 33 years in the NFL. Bryant impressed in the Cowboys’ rookie mini-camp, but will need to get in better shape if he wants to become one of the best young receivers in the league.

3. DeSean Jackson, Eagles
DeSean is a deep threat in every sense of that saying. Jackson exploded onto the seen a couple years back and continues to cause havoc for his opponents. Averaging 18.6 yards a catch, look for DeSean to continue his reign of dominance.

2. Steve Smith, Giants
Because Steve Smith is not a flashy receiver, you may not feel that he is among the top 3 receivers in the NFC East. Let’s take a look at his numbers though. Steve Smith caught 107 passes for 1220 receiving yards and 7 touchdowns. He started in all 16 games and averaged more than 76 yards a game. When it comes down to it, Steve Smith is the most consistent receiver on this list.

1. Miles Austin, Cowboys
Can you say break-out season? Wow, what a treat it was to see Miles explode onto the scene last season. If I told you that he only started in 9 games, could you believe that he hauled in 81 balls for 1,320 yards? Imagine if he started the other 7 games… Miles Austin will enter the 2010 season as the best receiver in the NFC East and one of the best receivers in the NFL.

http://pathtothedraft.com/?p=2077
Dreagon
QUOTE (footballboss @ May 17 2010, 12:56 PM) *
Who do you guys think is the best WR in the NFC East?

This site ranked the Top 10 in the NFC East...

http://pathtothedraft.com/?p=2077

I agree with their number one pick...but how the hell is Roy Williams or Dez Bryant even on that list? Des has proved nothing yet, and Roy has not lived up to expectations. Right now I would put Crayton over either of them. And thats just on my own team.
Eyrie
I'd be very surprised if two Eagles weren't on the list, since a top ten will almost certainly be the two starters on each team, plus the two best third WRs. But you've missed out Avant.

Top three could be in any order, although I think Austin probably is the best in the division. Only question will be if he can repeat in 2010 whereas the other two have more than one season of success.
SLOiggles
Maybe I'm in the minority of football fans across the country...but I'm still not willing to buy Miles Austin as this elite receiver. Yes, he did well last season...but I want him to prove it for a full season as the go-to guy in that offense before I say he's the best receiver in this division. This article is deceiving also when it mentions that Miles Austin didn't start seven games. After Austin's emergence in week 5, we was a heavy target every week after. He might not have started a game here or there, but don't tell me that he could have ballooned his numbers that significantly.

Maybe it comes across as biased, but to me there is nobody in this division that has the playmaking capabilities as DeSean and no one is more dangerous every time he steps on the field. He simply changes games. DeSean found his way into the end zone in 12 of the 17 games we played last season.

Not meaning to hate on the article...I'm just not going to label a one-year flash in the pan as a perennial all-pro. Prove it to me next year, when the most pressure you'll ever have in any year of your career is being applied. For Dallas, it's never been more of a Super Bowl or Bust year.
D Rock
QUOTE (SLOiggles @ May 19 2010, 01:46 AM) *
Maybe I'm in the minority of football fans across the country...but I'm still not willing to buy Miles Austin as this elite receiver.

Totally Agree. I think DJax causes just as many headaches for Dcoordinators.

I also find the placement of Nicks ahead of Maclin as interesting. I think Nicks was easily the better player last season and their draft positions will have them linked throughout their careers.
Zero
QUOTE (SLOiggles @ May 18 2010, 09:46 PM) *
Maybe I'm in the minority of football fans across the country...but I'm still not willing to buy Miles Austin as this elite receiver.

For Dallas, it's never been more of a Super Bowl or Bust year.

Agree on both counts. Miles certainly surprised a lot of people and did a really nice job but one year doesn't put anyone in the HOF. Both he and the whole team will now be facing the pressures of being the "favorite" in the NFC East and the team some people seem to think is the team to beat in the conference. It will be interesting to see how they perform with a target on their asses.
EaglePride615
i really dont like this board. i know this is bold but my favorite eagle JASON AVANT, should be on that list. now with that said ill put up my list
1 miles
2 djax
3 steve smith
4 santana moss
5 mario manningham
6 jeremy maclin
7 hakeem nicks
8 devin thomas
9 jason avant
10 dez bryant
now i know there will be arguments, but as a gm those are the guys id like. sure there will the guys that say roy should be up there... but has he actually done anything important. now i know jason avant on there is a head scratcher but that man gets the job done. whenever he catches the ball its a first down it seems.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
what a phony ranking to conjecture. It's like rankiing the top 4 starting centers in the NFC East.

What a waste of space ....

So says Boca John ....
canadianeagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 18 2010, 09:54 PM) *
Totally Agree. I think DJax causes just as many headaches for Dcoordinators.

I also find the placement of Nicks ahead of Maclin as interesting. I think Nicks was easily the better player last season and their draft positions will have them linked throughout their careers.

While i think one can make an argument for Nicks, I just don't see how you can claim that Nicks was "easily" the best player. Maclin had more receptions while Nicks had more yards. Both players show a lot of promise and can be expected to contribute more next year.
D Rock
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ May 20 2010, 09:22 PM) *
While i think one can make an argument for Nicks, I just don't see how you can claim that Nicks was "easily" the best player. Maclin had more receptions while Nicks had more yards. Both players show a lot of promise and can be expected to contribute more next year.

Nicks also had more TDs. And he didn't cost the VaGiants the expense of moving up in the first round.

Phits
I'm not sold on DJax as an elite WR. I reserve judgment until the end of the upcoming season. I'd like to see how he does without the constant long ball. I'm also concerned about his durability. He is a sizzling PR and a very good WR, but being an "elite" WR is a different category. I look forward to Maclin's development, and think he will be the better of the 2 in the long run....I could give a rat's ass about the rest of the division.
canadianeagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 21 2010, 10:42 AM) *
Nicks also had more TDs. And he didn't cost the VaGiants the expense of moving up in the first round.

I would agree that Nicks was the better value - at least in their rookie season. It will be interesting to see what they do from here on out.

Just curious DRock. Clearly you are aware of your Bias towards the Eagles as you seem to be more honest about them than most. If you could trade Maclin for Nicks straight up. Would you do it?

Maybe it is my own bias getting in the way but I really think that Maclin fits this team better and will end up being a better reciever.
Reality Fan
I am not in agreement on the Nicks vs Maclin at all. There are several problems with the comparison. Maclin shared the deep balls with Jackson. Nicks was the only real deep threat for the Giants. The Giants also have no real TE whereas the Eagles have Celek who caught a bunch of balls. That being said, Maclin had more grabs, returned kickoffs and provided t, a common misconception I pointed out in another post.he intermediate threat to compliment Jackson. The Giants threw nearly as much as the Eagles a common misconception I pointed out in another thread. The difference is that the Giants don't throw to their RBs. the Eagles doubled them in that regard. Hicks is not "easily" the better rookie WR and there is no clear evidence that he is even the better WR. They were seperated by 10 spots in the draft and Maclin was expected to go much higher. All in all, I think it was silly to even post a list like this and the real test will be to see how each WR matures. Watching each game it seems like Maclin is more of "the real deal" and Nicks is more opportunistic. Their 2nd seasons will be the true indicator.
D Rock
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ May 22 2010, 12:38 AM) *
I would agree that Nicks was the better value - at least in their rookie season. It will be interesting to see what they do from here on out.

Just curious DRock. Clearly you are aware of your Bias towards the Eagles as you seem to be more honest about them than most. If you could trade Maclin for Nicks straight up. Would you do it?

Maybe it is my own bias getting in the way but I really think that Maclin fits this team better and will end up being a better reciever.

I obviously hope you're right about Maclin being better. Would I make that trade straight up today? I probably would. I like Maclin. I just think Nicks seems to have a lil sumpin special to his game. They're pretty equal from most measurable points of view. But we seem to agree that Nicks was the better value from a draft perspective. It'll be interesting indeed to see who's the better player 2-3 years from now.

Hopefully the iggles got this one right.

wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.