Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fokou Likely to Start at OLB
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
kingmcnabb5
With Chris Gocong nursing a pair of leg injuries, rookie 7th-round pick Moise Fokou is expected to be in the starting lineup vs. Dallas as one of the three leading Linebackers.
canadianeagle
Interesting development. I liked what I saw last week and in the pre-season but wonder if Fokou is ready for the big time.
Flying Dutchman
I like Fokou and think he has good potential if he can muscle up a bit. He supposedly only weighs in now at 228 (per Spads). That is way too light to man the SLB spot. I know there are those who don't appreciate how Gocong blows up blockers OGs or FBs and either holds up the play or turns it into the middle. His play is a key reason we do so well shutting down the run. I have my doubts about the swift, talented but lightweight Fokou being able to provide the same muscle. Gocong destroyed the Giants but I'm afraid the COwgirls and their top ranked running game will destroy Fokou and/or play action him to death.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Nov 7 2009, 02:15 PM) *
I like Fokou and think he has good potential if he can muscle up a bit. He supposedly only weighs in now at 228 (per Spads). That is way too light to man the SLB spot. I know there are those who don't appreciate how Gocong blows up blockers OGs or FBs and either holds up the play or turns it into the middle. His play is a key reason we do so well shutting down the run. I have my doubts about the swift, talented but lightweight Fokou being able to provide the same muscle. Gocong destroyed the Giants but I'm afraid the COwgirls and their top ranked running game will destroy Fokou and/or play action him to death.

We have a fullback on our roster, but I think he is in for one play a game or something like that.
patrock
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Nov 7 2009, 03:15 PM) *

william thomas was listed at 6'-2", 223 and he handled himself pretty well, i reckon. ike reese was 6'-2", 222. akeem jordan is 6'-1", 230. quinton caver (i know he didn't pan out, but was a 2nd round pick) was 6'-4", 230. mark simoneau was listed at 234 the first year he came here to play MLB.

i could find many more examples from around the league, but my point is that OLBs aren't always as big as you think they are, but still hold their own against bigger offensive players. there's no such thing as the prototypical LB.

if fokou gets beat tonight, it'll be because of his inexperience or poor technique more than his size, imo.
mike quick
If Fokou can hold up at the point of attack the way Gocong does, they'll be OK. I honestly have my doubts that he will against the biggest OL in the league.

Best case scenario is that the Eagles jump out ahead and make the Girls one dimensional. If they dont, I think the Cowboys will run all over us and play action pass us to death.

I really dont think they can defend this running attack for 60 minutes.
BWARE
QUOTE (mike quick @ Nov 8 2009, 09:52 AM) *
If Fokou can hold up at the point of attack the way Gocong does, they'll be OK. I honestly have my doubts that he will against the biggest OL in the league.

Best case scenario is that the Eagles jump out ahead and make the Girls one dimensional. If they dont, I think the Cowboys will run all over us and play action pass us to death.

I really dont think they can defend this running attack for 60 minutes.

That tells me that you are a smart person because they wont be able to stop our run or our pass or our special teams, but that is ok because I like the sound of 6-2 and 1st place in the east my prediction 4 sacks, 1 INT, 1 safety. 29 - 20 Cowboys
GQSmooth
Your delusional, Romo is a choker the sooner Dallas realizes it, the better off you will be.
mike quick
QUOTE (BWARE @ Nov 8 2009, 12:12 PM) *
That tells me that you are a smart person because they wont be able to stop our run or our pass or our special teams, but that is ok because I like the sound of 6-2 and 1st place in the east my prediction 4 sacks, 1 INT, 1 safety. 29 - 20 Cowboys

If you recognized a opponents strength as I just did you, you wouldnt be making that prediction.
BWARE
QUOTE (mike quick @ Nov 8 2009, 12:16 PM) *
If you recognized a opponents strength as I just did you, you wouldnt be making that prediction.

I dident say that the Seagulls sucked I just said that they wont be good enough today
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (patrock @ Nov 8 2009, 08:06 AM) *
william thomas was listed at 6'-2", 223 and he handled himself pretty well, i reckon. ike reese was 6'-2", 222. akeem jordan is 6'-1", 230. quinton caver (i know he didn't pan out, but was a 2nd round pick) was 6'-4", 230. mark simoneau was listed at 234 the first year he came here to play MLB.

i could find many more examples from around the league, but my point is that OLBs aren't always as big as you think they are, but still hold their own against bigger offensive players. there's no such thing as the prototypical LB.

if fokou gets beat tonight, it'll be because of his inexperience or poor technique more than his size, imo.

I wasn't talking about LBs in general. It seems to me that for the last 20 years we have always had a larger LB on the outside to complement each of those guys you name. Names like Joyner, Emmons, Jones and Gocong all came in at 240 to 260 lbs. As for Jordan, I was a fan of his when nobody liked the guy and fans everywhere kept saying he was too small, not physical enough and other wildly incorrect statements. He is an exceptional example of a guy who can hit and break up blocking despite his size. Ask Hedgecock for a referral tongue.gif Could Reese fill in everywhere, absolutely but he was never an answer as a starting SAM. I place value on a role which hopefully Fokou can step up and fill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.