Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It Just Doesn't add Up
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Covers.com, Eagles are rated 5th in the NFL Power Rankings
Sagarin Ratings, Eagles are rated 10th in their NFL Power Rankings
The Eagles are 4th in Point Differential at +71, behind only the Giants, Titans and Steelers
They are top five in yards differential
They are 6th in offense with 364 ypg
They are 7th in defense with 293 ypg.

It leads me to ask:

Maybe we really are just a yard or two a game from being top tier.

Is this really a 7-3 team disguised as a 5-4-1 under acheiver?
vermeilman
I'm fairly certain their numbers were decent last year as well. Take above average numbers, mix in the worst game day coach in the NFL, and what do ya get?
BirdsWinBaby
assuming the bengals count in both categories (win/loss)...

Avg rank of Offenses the Eagels beat: 24th

Avg rank of Offenses the Eagles lost to: 16th

Avg rank of the Defenses the eagles beat: 20th

Avg rank of the Defenses the Eagles lost to: 10th

stats never tell the whole story but they arent a 'yard or two off' of being "top tier"....they are a hair off of consistently beating the bottom third of the NFL. when the Eagles are a "TOP-TEN' offense along with <giggle> the dolphins, texans, and Bradyless Patriots its time to consider how valuable/indicative those stats really are

i counted the steelers as a win of course but didnt factor in a hurt steeler team they beat that is playing better now. if you watched them then and now its not really necessary. this is the number magic AR has lived off of for 10yrs...its time to move on
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 23 2008, 04:35 AM) *

The argument could be made that we were one play away from beating both the Bears and Bengals, which would have meant 7-3.

But listening to our struggles this season 5-4-1 is about right, if not slightly high.
The Rock
I feel the team can hang with any team in the league, but we do not have the ability to do what is need to rack up the wins. We are not 1 yard or 1 play away from being a strong winning team. I feel we are one coach/gm away. Until that aspect is improved we are a middling team.
Flying Dutchman
And they lead the league in sacks too?
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 22 2008, 11:35 PM) *

No.

In football, the ONLY stat that matters is the win/loss record. You ARE what your record says you are.

All other stats are interesting for analyzing individual or unit performance. But the game is PLAYED to determine an outcome. And when you lose almost as many as you win, you are a mediocre team.

There IS no disguise. It is BLANTANTLY obvious what the Eagles team is this year. You can't hide from your record.

Stats sell papers, and websites, and interest geeks and fantasy players and analysts. But have no bearing on the actual results.

And ONLY the results matter, or count or tell the story.
Eyrie
Of course it's disguised.

This is a 2-14 team sitting at 5-5-1.
bwc2112
I will also add that yes we are lucky to be a 500 team at this point. Although, look at other divisions, their records for top are about the same as ours. Never say Die there is always hope weather today or tomorrow.
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 23 2008, 05:35 AM) *
Covers.com, Eagles are rated 5th in the NFL Power Rankings
Sagarin Ratings, Eagles are rated 10th in their NFL Power Rankings
The Eagles are 4th in Point Differential at +71, behind only the Giants, Titans and Steelers
They are top five in yards differential
They are 6th in offense with 364 ypg
They are 7th in defense with 293 ypg.

It leads me to ask:

Maybe we really are just a yard or two a game from being top tier.

McNabb was the best quarterback in the league according to the numbers before he got hurt in '06. But we were losing. In comes Garcia, and we win out.

McNabb has always put up numbers. His defenders have used those numbers to say he's great. The numbers don't tell the story. They never have.
Nytecat
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 23 2008, 04:52 PM) *
McNabb was the best quarterback in the league according to the numbers before he got hurt in '06. But we were losing. In comes Garcia, and we win out.

McNabb has always put up numbers. His defenders have used those numbers to say he's great. The numbers don't tell the story. They never have.

Although I've never been a fan of McNabb, I used to think he was a legitimate starting quarterback hampered by injuries and, perhaps, trying too hard to force plays.

Now there's no major injury, no obvious reason for self-doubts, and no excuses for McNabb. He's never displayed the all around quarterback ability of a Peyton Manning, a Drew Brees, or a Tom Brady. Reid and his staff have never acknowledged McNabb's shortcomings and retooled the offense to suit him, including an abandonment of the West Coast offense. The Giants, on the other hand, managed to build an effective offense around another quarterback with questionable talent, and now they're the best team in football!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.