Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another gun to your head...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HobbEs
Hypothetically speaking...if the playoffs are out of reach (at some point this season) do you bench McNabb and start Kolb?
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 13 2008, 11:42 AM) *
Hypothetically speaking...if the playoffs are out of reach (at some point this season) do you bench McNabb and start Kolb?

no...allow Dmac to play to keep his value as high as possible. would be bad to broadcast that he is done here...even if most know it already
GQSmooth
What has Kolb ever done to show he should start?
Phits
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Nov 13 2008, 03:11 PM) *

Correction, what has Kolb ever done to prove he should start over McNabb? It reminds me of the Chargers going with Rivers and showing Brees the door.
Eyrie
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Nov 13 2008, 04:56 PM) *
no...allow Dmac to play to keep his value as high as possible. would be bad to broadcast that he is done here...even if most know it already

QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Nov 13 2008, 07:11 PM) *

Agree with both.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 13 2008, 02:45 PM) *
Correction, what has Kolb ever done to prove he should start over McNabb? It reminds me of the Chargers going with Rivers and showing Brees the door.

The big difference being that Brees was coming off his best year and still young. I don't argue with the general sentiment, but there is a huge difference between where Donnie is at this point in his career (age and health) compared to where Brees was. Although, if memory serves, Brees was coming off a shoulder injury.

I still don't think you bench Donnie this season. This mess is far from his fault. He's miscast in our system and very few, if any quarterbacks could thrive with the lack of running game we have provided him.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 13 2008, 11:42 AM) *

No
bullwinkle
I don't understand why people are focusing on the offense. We lost 36-31. If your defense is goving up 30 points or 200 yards rushing to good teams, it is what needs to be given priority.

IMHO, the safety position needs to be our top priority. Next is some beef on the DL. Screw these speedballs!
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (bullwinkle @ Nov 13 2008, 04:14 PM) *
I don't understand why people are focusing on the offense. We lost 36-31. If your defense is goving up 30 points or 200 yards rushing to good teams, it is what needs to be given priority.

IMHO, the safety position needs to be our top priority. Next is some beef on the DL. Screw these speedballs!

im not letting the D off the hook..but IMO all of that is water under the bridge at the end of the game if the offense has the ball and a good shot to win the game

like last year when the offense DIDNT put up a ton of points against chicago....they put up enough to win if the D didnt blow it at the end. to me that loss was on the D even though the offense could only muster 16 points.....you could make the case that they should have scored more in that bear game and you could make the case that in the Giant game the D should have held them to less points

if the offense or defense has a chance to get the W at the end i put it on them

nephillymike
No.

Can we bench Reid instead?
D Rock
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 14 2008, 05:13 AM) *
No.

Can we bench Reid instead?

I was thinking the same thing. That said, I would also consider sitting Dawk or Mikel and getting some reps for Demps.

JaxEagle
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Nov 13 2008, 06:38 PM) *
if the offense or defense has a chance to get the W at the end i put it on them

Completely disagree. If a defense holds a team to zero points and is up 3-0 at the end of the game and gives up a touchdown to lose 7-3, you blame the defense??? Sorry, not me.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 13 2008, 11:42 PM) *
I was thinking the same thing. That said, I would also consider sitting Dawk or Mikel and getting some reps for Demps.

Given that we are on the outside looking in (different if we were still firmly in contention for the top prize), I think you let Dawk play out the string with the dignity that he deserves and then he retires at season's end.
D Rock
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Nov 14 2008, 12:58 PM) *
Given that we are on the outside looking in (different if we were still firmly in contention for the top prize), I think you let Dawk play out the string with the dignity that he deserves and then he retires at season's end.

That's certainly a noble attitude, but if you're going to put the team first... there are 52 others and an entire staff of coaches to think of. If you're "playing out the string" certainly the best thing for the TEAM is get some reps for the guy who's going to need to be up to speed next season.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Nov 14 2008, 07:58 AM) *

That's the honorable approach Jag and one that is easy to understand. But, if they want to have any hope yet this year and again next year, you get him out of there fast and find out if Demps has the ability to grow in the position. He can't hurt you worse with his mistake than Dawk does with his long gone ability. He could come up with a few plays that might help. Sadly for Dawk that is a really rare possibility.
D Rock
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 14 2008, 06:50 PM) *
That's certainly a noble attitude, but if you're going to put the team first... there are 52 others and an entire staff of coaches to think of. If you're "playing out the string" certainly the best thing for the TEAM is get some reps for the guy who's going to need to be up to speed next season.

QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Nov 15 2008, 04:52 AM) *
That's the honorable approach Jag and one that is easy to understand. But, if they want to have any hope yet this year and again next year, you get him out of there fast and find out if Demps has the ability to grow in the position. He can't hurt you worse with his mistake than Dawk does with his long gone ability. He could come up with a few plays that might help. Sadly for Dawk that is a really rare possibility.

Great Minds . . .

bowdown.gif jumpclap.gif bowdown.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.