Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IMO, three keys to winning Sunday night...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
1. The Eagles absolutely have to have good OL play
2. McNabb needs to run one early to keep the rush somewhat contained
3. Plaxico needs to be held in check
mike quick
I'll add.
Stop the run,
Balanced offense,
win the turn over diff,
pressure Sheli with front 4
Matt
Your forgot one other thing.

Don't play like crap in the first quarter like we did against Seattle
bullwinkle
I think the OL and DL will determine the outcome. If our DL beats their OL, then we can take away the run. If we need safety help to take away the run, then it could be a long game. I'd like to see Dawkins help with Buress if he can play this week like he did last week.
igglesblogman
I'd add that we need to hit something big early to back off their coverage. With the Seahawks we saw the return of the "bully our WRs at the line and see if they can get free" defense that we had so much trouble with last year.
Wingspan
I'm thinking they should just find a way to score more points than the giants.
bullwinkle
QUOTE (igglesblogman @ Nov 4 2008, 11:29 AM) *
I'd add that we need to hit something big early to back off their coverage. With the Seahawks we saw the return of the "bully our WRs at the line and see if they can get free" defense that we had so much trouble with last year.

I think that is where the TE will be important. They won't jam our WRs unless they have help deep. That should leave the middle of the field vulnerable to the TE if we can afford to let him out instead of staying in to block. A few good runs by McNabb would also loosen that up.
D Rock
Pressure Eliza and we win. It's that simple.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 4 2008, 01:27 PM) *
Pressure Eliza and we win. It's that simple.

I think that's a bit too simple...and not giving the G-men enough credit. What happens if they do the same to Donnie? Say to the tune of 12 sacks. I don't think it will play out that way, but I think the Giants can beat us even with a poor day from Elisha. I actually think his play in the face of pressure is probably his greatest strength.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 4 2008, 02:30 PM) *
I think that's a bit too simple...and not giving the G-men enough credit. What happens if they do the same to Donnie? Say to the tune of 12 sacks. I don't think it will play out that way, but I think the Giants can beat us even with a poor day from Elisha. I actually think his play in the face of pressure is probably his greatest strength.

Keep in mind that we didn't have westy in that game....and no DJax either
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 4 2008, 02:33 PM) *
Keep in mind that we didn't have westy in that game....and no DJax either

Relax buddy...I wasn't pinning that on Donnie. I was simply saying that the Giants have proven they're just as capable (if not more) at getting at our QB as we are theirs. If they do the same, us getting to Elisha is essentially canceled out.

I said a last week I thought the Giants were the best team in football. I still feel that way. It's the NFL, so I certainly think we can beat them. I think if we make the same mistakes we've made the past several weeks, this team will make us pay for them.

If our guys plays 4 quarters at a high level...the game is ours for the taking.
chrslbrt
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 4 2008, 05:48 AM) *

This is the only one that scares me. That height advantage sure does help. They might put Hanson to press and have somebody deep over the top. Wait, thats a bad(horrible) idea. Lets have Samuel man Burress up. And still maybe have someone ever him. Make him work for 55 mil ;D
koolaidluke
1. Stop the run: the Giants O is based around their power running game
2. Don't allow big plays
3. Get to Sheli and force turnovers
4. score 20 points

I see the Giants as a better team than us, so we while we can beat them, we need to play very well to do so.
chrslbrt
No, the keys to the game are:
1.Run the ball
2.Run the ball some more
3. Stop Plaxico
4. Force Eli to choke.
D Rock
QUOTE (chrslbrt @ Nov 5 2008, 12:44 AM) *
No, the keys to the game are:
1.Run the ball
2.Run the ball some more

You've watched this team right? As much as we all would love to see that, it aint happ'nin.

Bocadelphia Eagles John
I have to agree that scoring more points than them would be a good start to help improve our chances.

chrslbrt
By "this team", you mean us(the Eagles) right, not the giants? If thats correct then ya, your right, We'll never have a huge running game, as usual. If you were talking about the Giants, then I disagree. We CAN run the ball down NY's throat, we just wont do it.
Reality Fan
The Giants are a good team but they are just coming into the tough part of their schedule. They have had a generally easy schedule to this point and they have taken advantage of it. Even the Dallas game was much easier with the QB merry go round there. I am not so much worried about our offense, I think we will do ok there, no 12 sack repeat, we just need to clamp down on the D side.
D Rock
I agree, but would suggest that the D will NEED the offense to avoid those quarter long stretches of 3 and outs in effort to "clamp down."
Eyrie
And that brings us back to Reid's run phobia. Whilst getting the next first down is all important, against a better team (and sadly the VaGiants are) we need to control the clock and make their DL think twice before coming after McNabb.

I'd prefer a 50-50 run/pass ratio on sunday, but will settle for 45/55. I predict Reid will end up with 35-65 though sad.gif and that will be a factor in why we lose rather than a reflection of us chasing the game in the fourth quarter.
Pila
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 4 2008, 11:48 AM) *
1. The Eagles absolutely have to have good OL play
2. McNabb needs to run one early to keep the rush somewhat contained

I only have two keys. Stop their run and protect McNabb.
JYDPDX
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 5 2008, 02:37 PM) *
And that brings us back to Reid's run phobia. Whilst getting the next first down is all important, against a better team (and sadly the VaGiants are) we need to control the clock and make their DL think twice before coming after McNabb.

I'd prefer a 50-50 run/pass ratio on sunday, but will settle for 45/55. I predict Reid will end up with 35-65 though sad.gif and that will be a factor in why we lose rather than a reflection of us chasing the game in the fourth quarter.

dead on.
bullwinkle
You can add knee issues to Westbrook's ankle and rib problems. If he plays, he will only be at 75% at best. If we're going to run, then Buckhalter has to be given a much larger role this week.

Here is an interesting article on the Giants DL coach. It sounds like he is as much a part of their success as Spagnuolo. Link to the article
SLOiggles
meh, it's in the bag...we're going to win this game. Fuck NY
D Rock
QUOTE (SLOiggles @ Nov 7 2008, 12:06 AM) *
Fuck NY

jumpclap.gif jumpclap.gif jumpclap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.