Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I reserve my judgement until
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
If they beat the Gnats on Sunday, then they are contenders again, and I think they can, will they? not sure.

Reid is 48-20 in Nov/Dec and 11-5 the last two years, with teams not as talented as this one. If they get hot, like the Gnats last year, they have a good shot.

First quarter yesterday McNabb was pressing to make throws in tight coverage, by the second quarter the OLine stepped up and gave him more time for receivers to open up and away they went. He looked like crap in the first three series, but so did the guys around them, and then THEY ADJUSTED and the offense took off. Yeah they still have issues in the Red Zone, but the OT TD catch tells me they are starting to think outside the box.

I don't doubt for a minute that Andrew's absence on the line has affected the running game, and that is why they don't want to IR him..
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 3 2008, 01:32 PM) *
If they beat the Gnats on Sunday, then they are contenders again, and I think they can, will they? not sure.

I think it's possible because they are playing very well right now and are much more desperate than the Giants. The seem to have finally put it all together. That said, I have to predict a Giants victory.

I don't doubt for a minute that Andrew's absence on the line has affected the running game

I do, they have been running just fine except for short yardage, and even that seems to finally be coming around.
TGryn
But the Giants have the ultimate SECRET WEAPON...so secret, they've been afraid to activate him since week 1...he's well-rested, and anxious for REVENGE. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the next greatest thing since Raheem Brock...its time fooooor...

MCDOUGLE POWER!!! dj.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (TGryn @ Nov 3 2008, 06:52 PM) *
MCDOUGLE POWER!!! dj.gif

Ouch! bowdown.gif

On that subject, the decision to keep Howard looks to have paid off. He seems to be the player we thought we'd signed and not the anonymous non-performer of the last two years.
D Rock
Howard is playing very well. I'm luvin it. But where is Smith?
mike quick
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 3 2008, 05:05 PM) *
Howard is playing very well. I'm luvin it. But where is Smith?
He's on the development program just as we thought when they drafted him. Just like Cole was.

D Rock
Until Smith gets 5 sacks and 38 tackles in HIS rookie year, he'll not be "just like Cole."

Just sayin is all . . .
chrslbrt
Can we get back on topic, but anyways, I think we can stun the giants. The cowboys have nobody on offense. Plus theyre desperate. I think the Seahawks could have blown them out too. I think we have a good matchup in our offense vs. defense. But the only matchup is Burressvs our short corners. I think we'll do fine without Sheppard if he isnt back, because Dawkins was doing well in coverage. If he is back, that should help against the other recievers. But Plaxico kinda scares me. Does anybody know his stats against us last year?
slick_mik58
Both teams are looking very strong right now, I can<t wait for this game I think it'll be as good of a game as the Dallas one was earlier in the season, but I see Philly pulling this one out they are hungry to get back to the top of the division.
bullwinkle
The OL and DL really need to come through for us to win this game. As usual, Lito won't be available for a big game. And nobody can tell me Westbrook is close to 100%. And DJ is beginning to wear down. We can beat the Giants if our lines play their "A" game and McNabb loosens up his shoulder before the game instead of during the game.
mike quick
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 3 2008, 06:00 PM) *
Until Smith gets 5 sacks and 38 tackles in HIS rookie year, he'll not be "just like Cole."

Just sayin is all . . .
I case you haven't noticed, the Eagles happen to be getting production out of their current DE's. They weren't in '05. Had Kalu been producing, Cole wouldn't have started half the season.

Dont ignore the facts now.
Zero
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 3 2008, 01:32 PM) *
... the OT TD catch tells me they are starting to think outside the box.

IMO, that play was partially intended to give the Giants something to look at and loosen up the goal line defense.
D Rock
QUOTE (mike quick @ Nov 4 2008, 01:34 AM) *
I case you haven't noticed, the Eagles happen to be getting production out of their current DE's. They weren't in '05. Had Kalu been producing, Cole wouldn't have started half the season.

Dont ignore the facts now.

Who's ignoring the fact when saying "Smith is 'just like' Cole?"

That's plumb silly.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mike quick @ Nov 3 2008, 10:32 PM) *
He's on the development program just as we thought when they drafted him. Just like Cole was.

You draft someone in the fifth round to develope them, you don't reach for a project in the third.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 4 2008, 06:22 PM) *

That's plumb silly.

So was taking Reach in the third.
TGryn
If you look at the guys who were taken around Smith's spot in the 3rd, though, none of them is doing much so far either (except Zuttah):

77 Pat Sims Bengals DT Auburn: 18 tackles, 1 sack
78 Shawn Crable Patriots LB Michigan: Deactivated all season
79 Antwaun Molden Texans DB Eastern Kentucky: 11 tackles
80 Bryan Smith Eagles DE McNeese State: Deactivated all season
81 Early Doucet Cardinals WR LSU: 8 receptions, 50 yds
82 DaJuan Morgan Chiefs DB North Carolina State: 12 tackles
83 Jeremy Zuttah Buccaneers G Rutgers: 5 starts

The two DEs taken just ahead of Smith in the 3rd:
66 Kendall Langford Dolphins DE Hampton:16 tackles, 2 sacks
72 Chris Ellis Bills DE Virginia Tech:0 tackles

The two DEs taken right after Smith:
92 Cliff Avril Lions DE Purdue:9 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF
102 Jeremy Thompson Packers DE Wake Forest:4 tackles

The two "name" players from the 3rd, Penn State's Dan Connor (4 tackles) and WR Mario Manningham (1 reception) are pretty much invisible so far, also.
mike quick
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 4 2008, 01:22 PM) *

That's plumb silly.
Your ignoring the fact that they are in VERY different circumstances. If the '05 DL had the depth and production this current line has Cole wouldn't have seen much playing time at all.

The 2 people are comparable because they had similar size and skill sets coming out of the draft. Cole was developmental too, Just like Smith. See how that works? Its really pretty simple.

D Rock
QUOTE (mike quick @ Nov 5 2008, 12:05 AM) *
Your ignoring the fact that they are in VERY different circumstances.

I am?

You're the one that said smith was "just like Cole." Now they're "VERY different circumstances."

But I'm ignoring facts? You're making em up as you go along. Yer hilarious.

If Jim Johnson thought Smith was capable of giving him 5 sacks in spot duty, he'd be on the field. Cole's sacks came EARLY in his rookie season. He didn't get any in the last 5 games that he started.

mike quick
*insert bang head on wall smiley*
Eyrie
QUOTE (TGryn @ Nov 4 2008, 08:08 PM) *
The two DEs taken just ahead of Smith in the 3rd:
66 Kendall Langford Dolphins DE Hampton:16 tackles, 2 sacks
72 Chris Ellis Bills DE Virginia Tech:0 tackles

The two DEs taken right after Smith:
92 Cliff Avril Lions DE Purdue:9 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF
102 Jeremy Thompson Packers DE Wake Forest:4 tackles

I think that proves the point that the pickings for a DE in the third round were poor, and since it wasn't a position of need for us we should have looked at another position or even traded the pick for something next year. Cole, Parker, Abiamiri and Clemons were already here after all and that's ignoring McDougle and the until-then-disappointing Howard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.