Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "My goal is to be the starting SAM"
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
My goal is to be the starting SAM [strongside]," Gocong said recently after a workout at the NovaCare Complex. "I'm looking forward to seeing what they're going to do, so we know what's going on in the future.
Gocong said this has turned into a long offseason already, since his season was pretty much offseason, as well. He's very anxious to see where he ends up. Asked whether he would be more comfortable at end, he said he might be, at first, because he played there so much in college. But he said he would be very disappointed.

Link...
vermeilman
Fascinating article, thanks for posting it. And for whatever its worth Spadaro has resumed beating the "GoCong is the next coming at SAM" drum. He had backed off it for awhile.
AustinFan
He may be "the next coming at SAM" - he certainly has the talent package.

The reason we should all hope its true is Gocong is a unique athlete, if he can master SLB it makes our defense a lot stronger because he provides more options for JJ.

But even as a DE, he compares with anyone who'd be available this year with our 1st rd pick:

(40 10 yard, 225, SS, cone, VT, LJ)

Gocong 6-2 263 [4.70 1.61 28 4.09 7.06 38.5 10'3]
Spencer 6-3 261 [4.70 1.64 30 4.43 7.14 32.5 9'4]
Woodley 6-1 266 [4.79 1.65 29 4.42 --- 38.5 9'9]
Moss 6-6 250 [4.70 1.59 16 4.41 7.21 30.5 10'0"]
Johnson 6-2 270 [4.84 1.63 33 --- 7.50 34 9'10" ]
Bazuin 6-3 266 [4.77 1.59 25 4.75 7.09 30 9'1"]

He's one heck of an athlete, and it's not like he had a so-so college career.
vermeilman
Freddie Mitchell is one hell of an athlete and had a real good college career, at a Divison I-A school, not I-AA. Oh, and he actually played the position in college that he was drafted to play.

Same for McDougle.

How'd they work out? laugh.gif
AustinFan
Mitchell was a very good college WR who illustrates the problem of projecting 21 year olds - he gained 10 lbs of muscle, and lost his exceptional quickness and became a possession receiver - except he ran bad routes.

McDougle, Haynes and Pace were all drafted with consecutive picks, Osi was picked #50 in the same draft - this is why drafting is not an exact science. Oh yeah, Osi was a small college DE - guess that pick worked out, eh?
vermeilman
QUOTE(AustinFan @ Apr 25 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]111499[/snapback]

Mitchell was a very good college WR who illustrates the problem of projecting 21 year olds - he gained 10 lbs of muscle, and lost his exceptional quickness and became a possession receiver - except he ran bad routes.

McDougle, Haynes and Pace were all drafted with consecutive picks, Osi was picked #50 in the same draft - this is why drafting is not an exact science. Oh yeah, Osi was a small college DE - guess that pick worked out, eh?

Ok, let me get this straight. The Eagles moved up to take McDougle at 15, the Giants took Osi in the second round (#56 by the way.) McDougle bombs, Osi is a player, and this as evidence to support the GoCong hype? Brilliant. laugh.gif
bullwinkle
He was just trying o point out that even top 15 picks bomb out. Look at the QBs, (Couch & Smith), that went right before and after McNabb. And don't forget about Ricky Williams. Other teams make mistakes too in case you haven't noticed.
nephillymike
"Gocong said this has turned into a long offseason already, since his season was pretty much offseason, as well. He's very anxious to see where he ends up. Asked whether he would be more comfortable at end, he said he might be, at first, because he played there so much in college. But he said he would be very disappointed.

"I want to say my role in this defense is at linebacker," Gocong said. "

I think the Eagles are doing themselves and Gocong a diservice. He is a DE. They need a backup DE. They don't know if he can play SAM. By not knowing what they have, they will enter this weekend's draft uncertain whether they need a SAM or a DE. They already lost a year from him, it is unwise to lose another. Stick him at backup DE, cut McDougle and draft a LB or trade of a veteran LB to fill the need. They need the solution this year, not next.
AustinFan
Wrongo. There are only a couple true "SAMs" in this draft, Bradley and Sartz. DeOzzie is a MLB who'd have to learn to play SAM, Timmons is too small, etc.

It's hard to find college LBs who fit the SAM, which is why teams convert so many college DEs these days, take someone like Robison, who's a better athlete than almost any SAM prospect the last decade. You draft him, you have Gocong, and Daniels as insurance, and keep Jones and Roper in camp just in case. And Spikes could move there if need be.

But if Gocong can make the switch, now you have real options.

Also, with Spikes, Daniels, Gaither and McCoy, you can pull Gocong and Trotter on pass downs or move Gocong to joker.

If Gocong doesn't work out, you lose nothing, as a DE he'd be fourth on the depth chart at best in 2007, if they don't move Ramsey outside on run downs. And he'd be primarily used as a joker, behind Kearse and J Thomas.
igglesblogman
He's already listed as LB/DE on the roster. One way or the other he's going to be on the field this year. Even if they decide he's not quite ready to start at SAM this season, he'll be used as a situational pass rusher.
bullwinkle
I'm sure Gocong is coming into camp lighter than he would be if he were focusing on playing DE. He really can't optimize his body for both roles. So if he flops at SLB this year, we really won't know what he can do as a DE until 2008.
AustinFan
He can play light as a situational pass rusher, in fact, he'd probably be a better pass rusher at 255-260 lbs. If he were to move to DE full time you might want him up at 270-275 lbs to play the run and not wear down.
D Rock
Whatever.

He was brought into play SAM. Considering our GLARING need at the position, it doesn't bode well for him that his status is still up in the air.

AustinFan
HE WAS INJURED.

You gonna tell me that Greenway and Carpenter are in trouble because they didn't start in 2006 either?
nephillymike
He wasn't injured.

He had a stinger.

Yep a stinger.

G. Cobb went on about this a while ago.

The Eagles were looking for an excuse to put him on the IR to learn and that's what they did. That's fine, but they chose the road they wanted to take on this guy.
Zero
Some people call it Redshirt.
igglesblogman
Best case: This year's starting SAM.

Second place: Next year's starting SAM, situational pass rusher.

Third place: Washout at LB, rotation DE and monster on STs (I think the last part is guaranteed).

For a #71 pick, with the upside he has, I'm ok with those odds.
AustinFan
QUOTE(nephillymike @ Apr 26 2007, 08:59 PM) [snapback]111570[/snapback]

He wasn't injured.

He had a stinger.

Yep a stinger.

G. Cobb went on about this a while ago.

The Eagles were looking for an excuse to put him on the IR to learn and that's what they did. That's fine, but they chose the road they wanted to take on this guy.

What do you think a stinger is? It's a nerve injury.

They couldn't PUP him, so they would have had to carry him on the roster while he healed, which means he'd take up space for half a season and force them to expose another young player to waivers. If you figure by the time he gets healthy, with at that point 5 healthy DEs and he won't have had the reps to play LB, why would you want him on the active roster? If they knew Kearse was going to get hurt they wouldn't have put him on the IR.
D Rock
QUOTE(AustinFan @ Apr 27 2007, 12:06 AM) [snapback]111560[/snapback]

HE WAS INJURED.

You gonna tell me that Greenway and Carpenter are in trouble because they didn't start in 2006 either?

NO HE WASN'T.

He had a minor injury that the team used as an excuse to burry him on the IR. He was physically ready to go before mid season. I actually applaud the move seein as he needed the "classroom" time. But let's not kid ourselves and think he was incapable of contributing because of a stinger he got in the pre-season. "PLAYERS" are back on the field after a stinger in a matter of weeks if not "next week."

I'm not saying Gocong wont be a player for us. I'm just saying it's laughable at BEST to claim he WILL be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.