Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Everyone remember Michael Haddix?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I remember when the Eagles drafted him then HC Marion Campbell exclaimed, "you can't teach speed." Haddix was a bust as a #1 pick on a declining team that needed a RB desperately. It seems his son is drawing interest by the NFL now despite not playing football.
You know the NFL is a copy cat league. Well today Michael Haddix Jr. who is the son of former Eagles number one draft pick and running back Michael Haddix Sr., will workout for the Birds as a prospective tight end candidate. Haddix Jr. who stands about 6'6", was a star forward for the Sienna University basketball team. He was preparing to continue his basketball career overseas when he was flooded with workout offers from around the NFL.

If you ask why would NFL teams want to workout a kid who was an outstanding college basketball player and dominated under the boards but never played football. All you need to do is think about San Diego's All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates, and Kansas City's All-Pro tight end Tony Gonzalez and you will have your answer. Haddix has a similar physique to Gates, who was also an outstanding college basketball player but had never played football before getting a tryout from the Chargers. Gonzalez played both college basketball and football but chose the latter and has been an All-Pro for years.

You can see the basketball background in their games as they shield off opposing defenders just as if they were under the boards. Both Gonzalez and Gates do a great job of catching touchdowns by going up and snatching the ball out of the air at its highest point.

I'm sure the Eagles would be thrilled if young Haddix were able to become anything close to Gonzalez and Gates. Of course that's a long way away. The young athlete hasn't received any offers to sign as of yet, but they could be coming. After he works out for the Eagles, he will also workout for the Giants and the Packers. There also a number of other teams who have inquired about scheduling a workout in the future.

I posted the whole story, but if you have unbridled curiosity where I found it, just click here.
The Rock
How could he get offers and sign with a team? He would need to go into the draft. maybe he does not have an agent yet, but the article seems to suggest an offer from a team, not offer to sign with an agent.

no matter.
igglesblogman
QUOTE(The Rock @ Apr 10 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]110735[/snapback]

How could he get offers and sign with a team? He would need to go into the draft. maybe he does not have an agent yet, but the article seems to suggest an offer from a team, not offer to sign with an agent.

I think they were workout offers only. His only chance this year would be as an UDFA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.