Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top Priority in Offseason
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
eagleaddict
LB- Even with Gocong, Trotter, McCoy, Jones, Gaither, Daniels, Roper, & Barber, I need to see some major competition. Trotter is clearly losing a step and the rest are mediocre at best. 5 of the 8 are relatively unproven youngsters. This is clearly the year we need to pick up a LB via free agency, especially if we have faith in these youngsters. Trot will be a great mentor for Gaither in the middle, but who can mentor the edges? Give me an OLB in FA AND the draft.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
Good thing I ain't GM because my priority would be to get a contract for 18 before I eat my next meal. No way can I let a guy walk who likes to stick his tongue out at opposing fans. Now way in hell.

Plus I want to buy an 18 replica jersey and I can't unless he's locked up with us..

I would make a lousy GM but at least my team would be entertaining.
D Rock
I believe linebacker is our weakest spot. Considering Gaither is the likely heir apparent to Trotter, I voted OLB.
thegoat77
I hope we bring Stallworth back, but our offense will be good with or without him.

Our defense however, needs a lot of help, starting at LB.
pat
i agree either a line backer or a saftey
Eyrie
Has to be OLB.

With Gaither playing WLB and Trotter having his last season at MLB, there's a gaping hole at SLB (also known as Dhanonymous). I remain to be convinced Gocong is the answer when he's never played the position in the pros.

#2 is a CB over 6' tall.
Flying Dutchman
Keeping Stallworth is my #1 FA move.

Drafting a LB like Posluzny/Willis is my priority 1B, only because there is some hope for our young guys like McCoy/Gaither/Gocong/Daniels/Roper developing.

Drafting a Safety is my #1 priority because if Considine or Dawkins go down we have zilch, nada, nichto to back them up. I would love a Reggie Nelson but he will probably be gone. Michael Griffin may be there. If so he is a prototype Eagle safety. Good speed, big hitter.

BgBry44
I put OLB... That is probably the most glaring weak spot that this team has. It has to be addressed somehow.
Pila
I'm with FD - sign Donte, draft FS/SS, then LB, and finally hire Pila as the Cheerleader's personal Masseuse. In that order.
mprincz
How do I select "a new Aussie punter"? Hold on.....we did?.....YES, I smell a big offseason ahead.
vermeilman
And the answer is a run stuffing, space eating D tackle. It would be nice to have a strong side or weak side linebacker but we were most abused right up the middle, that was the D's biggest weakness. Yes, there were gap problems but more than anything the D tackles were all but useless most of the season. Patterson is undersized and easily moved. Walker shows up only occassionally and who the hell knows about Bunkley. True, Trott is slipping, but give him a hoss up front and his play will improve markedly. Bottom line, if you don't get better play up front it will not matter who you have playing linebacker. It all starts upfront, always has.

Garcia would be great to have back but come on, he's the team's backup. A backup anything cannot be your #1 free agent need.

Stallworth should be re-signed, it is very important that they do so, but Stallworth missed much of this season, has missed significant time every year, and he's a wide receiver---which means he touches the ball how many times a game? 38 catches this year, that's it.

Get a D tackle to stuff the run and this team can go far next year. Move Gaither over to the middle, add a weak side or strong side backer and leave the DT position alone, and we will still suck on D.

Get a run stuffing tackle and, with or without Stallworth, or a big back, or whatever, and we will still be competitive.

Leave the turnstile D tackle situation as it is and we will again have serious defensive issues.
Birdbrain
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 19 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]103429[/snapback]

And the answer is a run stuffing, space eating D tackle. It would be nice to have a strong side or weak side linebacker but we were most abused right up the middle, that was the D's biggest weakness. Yes, there were gap problems but more than anything the D tackles were all but useless most of the season.

I too would love a big Bubba in the middle to clog things, freeing up a faster Patterson to get 'er done inside. And with Kearse back in the fold, our D-line could be downright nasty. Thnk about Kearse at left end, Cole at right end, Howard at right tackle, and some massive gap eater beside him. Talk about SURGE. whipitgood.gif

Still, outside linebackers are right up there as well on my wishlist, because we also got completely torched on stretch plays since our linebackers could not get into the offensive backfield and make plays. Hopefully Gocong will help in this respect.
D Rock
QUOTE(Birdbrain @ Jan 20 2007, 12:48 AM) [snapback]103446[/snapback]

I too would love a big Bubba in the middle to clog things, freeing up a faster Patterson to get 'er done inside. And with Kearse back in the fold, our D-line could be downright nasty. Thnk about Kearse at left end, Cole at right end, Howard at right tackle, and some massive gap eater beside him. Talk about SURGE. whipitgood.gif

Still, outside linebackers are right up there as well on my wishlist, because we also got completely torched on stretch plays since our linebackers could not get into the offensive backfield and make plays. Hopefully Gocong will help in this respect.

Part of me is still holding out hope for Bunkley. I keep thinkin about them stoping him after 40+ reps of 250 on the bench. If he can get it together between the ears, he's got some push. If he develops and presents himself as a player worthy of his draft position (a position most "experts" thought was warranted) we'd have a bunch of bodies there. Likewise, Ramsey showed some promise before hitting the rookie wall.

The other part of me is thinking Bunk may be a lost cause.

In the case of the latter, I'll agree DT is a major need, but in the former...I say OLB (Posluzky)sp?

Birdbrain
QUOTE(D Rock @ Jan 19 2007, 07:05 PM) [snapback]103448[/snapback]

Part of me is still holding out hope for Bunkley. I keep thinkin about them stoping him after 40+ reps of 250 on the bench. If he can get it together between the ears, he's got some push. If he develops and presents himself as a player worthy of his draft position (a position most "experts" thought was warranted) we'd have a bunch of bodies there. Likewise, Ramsey showed some promise before hitting the rookie wall.

The other part of me is thinking Bunk may be a lost cause.

In the case of the latter, I'll agree DT is a major need, but in the former...I say OLB (Posluzky)sp?

Good point about Bunk. Boy, I hope he pans out. The guy could be an absolute MONSTER.

As for Posluzky, do you think we'd have to trade up to get him?
D Rock
I'm no guru, and it's still way early...but everything I'm finding to read on the matter seems to think he could be available to us in the late 1st.

hunch.gif
Reality Fan
How about an Offensive Lineman?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
vermeilman
bowdown.gif
eagleaddict
QUOTE(Reality Fan @ Jan 19 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]103454[/snapback]

How about an Offensive Lineman?
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

lol! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.