Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eckel Says Reid Told McNabb To Stay Home
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
vermeilman
And McNabb did not like it.

Uh oh.
D Rock
Stay home?

When? Stay home and not go to the aints game? Stay home during the off season?

Typical, half the story, post from V Man.

Thnx for nuthin.
vermeilman
Stay home from the Saints game. He said Reid told Donny to stay home and McNabb was not pleased. He also said he is picking up on some "weird" vibes from his sources regarding McNabb, that he does not appear thrilled with life as an Eagle, and that it might be in McNabb's best interest to move on and get a fresh start. Eckel went on to say a trade of McNabb is not wholly out of the question based on info he's picking up.

Talk about stirring up the crap. laugh.gif
D Rock
Thanks for filling in the holes in the initial post. I think the Eagles would be wise to consider EVERY option.

I am a big McNabb fan, but recognize his tendancy for head casery. And as good as he is, has been and likely will be....I have this gnawing feeling that he's never going to fully realize his potential.

All that said, I think it a bit too early to start lobbying for the AJ era.

vermeilman
QUOTE(D Rock @ Jan 17 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]103088[/snapback]

Thanks for filling in the holes in the initial post. I think the Eagles would be wise to consider EVERY option.

I am a big McNabb fan, but recognize his tendancy for head casery. And as good as he is, has been and likely will be....I have this gnawing feeling that he's never going to fully realize his potential.

All that said, I think it a bit too early to start lobbying for the AJ era.

Oh I agree. And you know Eckel, sometimes he's accurate, sometimes he's entirely full of it. But when challenged last night he would not back down. He kept saying there's some "weird" stuff going on regarding Donny and a trade was not beyond the realm of the possible.
Phits
QUOTE(D Rock @ Jan 17 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]103088[/snapback]

I am a big McNabb fan, but recognize his tendancy for head casery.

It's interesting how many Eagles phans have become psycho analysts. We see a player act a certain way and make the assumption that all players in that position should fit that same mold. Meanwhile, in our everyday lives we interact with all sorts of personalities and accept their behavior as that of an individual. why is that our celebrities aren't judged the same way?

"Head casery" may be a term better related to those that feel like they know a person based on the perception that they have from a distance.

I agree that the EAGLES should explore ALL options. If a better QB were available, I would say jump all over it...but since that's not the case and discussion of this manner is more in tune with causing a stir or creating lengthy debates....we are merely chasing our tail.
vermeilman
Gagging during games, never letting go of personal slights, perceived or otherwise = head case. At least a touch of it.
koyboy10
is there a link to this?
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE(Phits @ Jan 17 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]103090[/snapback]

I agree that the EAGLES should explore ALL options.

I heard it said that Bill Walsh, architect of the WCO, once said that Jeff Garcia is the best technician QB for the WCO or something like that. It wasn't made clear whether this included any evaluation of DMaC or not.

My point is, for those in the know, the real insiders, is it possible that DMaC/WCO is a forced fit? I'm not saying it is, and I'm not saying it isn't. I'm simply asking the Q.

One thing is for certain. It is the GM/HC's job to always evaluate. And if there's a hard decision to be made, make it.

It's my personal opinion that DMaC is a good fit for WCO....not great, good.... and that if healthy, he'll be back and start again. And I'm also of the opinion that no one is expendable. No one. That's a hard concept to accept, but I think it's true.

That's my head talking. For the expendable my heart says, please bring back Stallworth. I want this guy in green running fast, blocking and sticking his tongue out at opposing fans.

DMaC? I'm in two minds about.

If their IS validation that there is something weird going on? Then surgery is needed to cure it. We can't afford any more split locker room. And this team showed just how they are capable of rallying and playing as a team. We set an alltime record for consecutive wins. All time. That's huge. And it was done with a backup. That has to make you sit up and take notice and wonder what made it happen. It was more than just a change of play caller you know.

So .... let's see where all this talk leads. Is it nonsense, or real ? Time will tell.

QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 17 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]103092[/snapback]

perceived or otherwise = head case.

the word "alleged" comes to mind.
wishbone
who are we gonna get? There is no one out there
koyboy10
I say we trade him for some young linebacker that we could develop.
vermeilman
QUOTE(koyboy10 @ Jan 17 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]103093[/snapback]

is there a link to this?

No link bro. It was Eckel doing Eckel on WIP last night.
TGryn
Consider the source, consider the source...
koyboy10
alright thanks dudes
Phits
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 17 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]103092[/snapback]

Gagging during games, never letting go of personal slights, perceived or otherwise = head case. At least a touch of it.

"We" continue to speculate as to the reasons he vomits during games, yet we only speculate to the negative. "We" hold onto these personal slights a lot longer than he does, so perhaps "we" have the head problems. When he dismissed personal attacks against him and refused to comment, "we" also said that he was "cowardly" and not much of a leader. when he comments on personal attacks "we" respond by saying "let it go and just play football" and "stop being such a whiner".

Intense media scrutiny will always cause any action to be perceived as crazy or eccentric.

This is not being a "head case" it's called being human.
D Rock
because after all, EVERY great quarterback leaves it on the field.

"It" being lunch of course.

Yup, no head casery here.

Hey Phitts, where there is smoke...there is often fire, my friend.

igglesblogman
This whole idea that McNabb doesn't "fit" the Eagles offense, while Garcia is considered some kind of maestro, is just bizarre.

Check out their career numbers, they are eerily similar:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/146325

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133361

And that's despite the fact that McNabb began as a rookie with a steep learning curve, whereas Garcia matured by playing a few seasons in Canada.
D Rock
I don't think their is anything even remotely similar about the two players. I love the job Garcia did backing up Nabby this year, but I think it the ultimate in foolishness to offer Jeff another deal.

Nabby is our QB. I for one, would be psyched and confident with AJ as his primary backup for the duration of McNabb's time in philly.

Phits
QUOTE(D Rock @ Jan 17 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]103110[/snapback]

because after all, EVERY great quarterback leaves it on the field.

"It" being lunch of course.

Yup, no head casery here.

Hey Phits, where there is smoke...there is often fire, my friend.

Understood, but does ANY Great player display ANY sign of anxiety? and does that make them a head case?
D Rock
A nervous twitch is one thing. But, losing your lunch on national television? Priceless.
Phits
QUOTE(D Rock @ Jan 17 2007, 05:30 PM) [snapback]103118[/snapback]

A nervous twitch is one thing. But, losing your lunch on national television? Priceless.

well that would be a degree of acceptability. It has been said Aikman used to throw up before every game. This is a player that won 3 SB's in a highly coveted position on "America's Team" while in the national media on an almost daily basis...yet he "exemplifies" the field general that a QB should be, and is not considered to be a head case.
D Rock
You "emboldened" the word "every," when the word "BEFORE" is more telling. As in, he tossed his cookies BEFORE every game and thus, NOT on the field and, NOT on national television. So too, twoyboy never saw his locker room divided even though he had a loud mouthed, JERK of a me-me-me receiver working hard to make every issue about himself.

Apples and Oranges
AustinFan
Michael Irvin was never a head case in the same league as TO, for one thing, Jimmy Johnson would have had him out the door way before it ever got to that point. And Irvin knew he was expendable, Aikman and Smith were the key players, he was #3.

McNabb has been tossing his cookies since Syracuse, nothing "head case" about it, it's probably due to overexertion, which happens to other athletes.
vermeilman
Fascinating stuff. This is surely one of the most pro front office, pro Reid, pro status quo boards around, yet Eckel's suggestion has not created the righteous backlash I expected. Maybe Donny's days are numbered. Who would have thunk it? hunch.gif
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE(koyboy10 @ Jan 17 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]103093[/snapback]

is there a link to this?

here's a link to get WIP by internet

http://www.610wip.com/

QUOTE(Phits @ Jan 17 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]103117[/snapback]

Understood, but does ANY Great player display ANY sign of anxiety? and does that make them a head case?

The name Bradshaw comes to mind.

QUOTE(igglesblogman @ Jan 17 2007, 05:24 PM) [snapback]103115[/snapback]

This whole idea that McNabb doesn't "fit" the Eagles offense, while Garcia is considered some kind of maestro, is just bizarre.

Let's just say when Bill Walsh is quoted about someone on the Eagles roster? I sit up and listen. I defer to his words, and I was just passing on what I heard with a question and that's all.

QUOTE(AustinFan @ Jan 17 2007, 06:12 PM) [snapback]103122[/snapback]

which happens to other athletes.

Well I gotta say, I'm 61 years old and wathced athletes in different parts of the world both in person andon the box in a whole variety of sports and I've NEVER seen anyone upchuck once let alone with such regularity as our boy Donnie. There's SOMETHING there which leads to it and nobody's ever explained it away for me.

A close friend of mine went to school with and knew Donnie at Cuse and my close friend has always thought he was over-rated ... don't shoot me, just telling you what he thought, and he used to be in Donnie's close company.
McPhila
Good old VMan. Nothign can ever be ok...there always has to be something with this guy.

Last time I checked injuried players don't make the trip on the road. Didn't see Kearse either.

You're basically a fucking joke and everyone should know it.

QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 17 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]103099[/snapback]

No link bro. It was Eckel doing Eckel on WIP last night.

Eckel. WIP. VMan.

These things all have one thing in common.

rolleyes.gif
mike quick
QUOTE(McPhila @ Jan 17 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]103135[/snapback]

Good old VMan. Nothign can ever be ok...there always has to be something with this guy.

Last time I checked injuried players don't make the trip on the road. Didn't see Kearse either.

You're basically a fucking joke and everyone should know it.
Eckel. WIP. VMan.

These things all have one thing in common.

rolleyes.gif
Thanks for the quote laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 17 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]103127[/snapback]

Fascinating stuff. This is surely one of the most pro front office, pro Reid, pro status quo boards around, yet Eckel's suggestion has not created the righteous backlash I expected. Maybe Donny's days are numbered. Who would have thunk it? hunch.gif

No, it is just that sane people consider the source you use as a bitter, ex-Eagles beat writer. How many times do his "hot leads" have to turn to shit before you start taking his rumors with a boulder of salt. I will bet anything you want 5 Is back.
vermeilman
QUOTE(Reality Fan @ Jan 17 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]103146[/snapback]

No, it is just that sane people consider the source you use as a bitter, ex-Eagles beat writer. How many times do his "hot leads" have to turn to shit before you start taking his rumors with a boulder of salt. I will bet anything you want 5 Is back.

Look, Eckel is a columnist now, that's a promotion bro. He writes about the Birds or anything else he wants whenever he wants. So I guess I don't get the "bitter ex-eagle beat writer" spin. But having said that I understand that Eckel is hardly infallible, he's right alot, but he's also wrong---alot. And understand that Eckel was not saying McNabb is gone. He said it wasn't unthinkable based on what he was picking up. What I find interesting is that when I first heard him go off I thought it was madness, and I'm not sure I've changed my mind. But the fact that people here are not bouncing off the walls---other than McPhila of course, poor child---tells me that there has been something of a cooling towards McNabb in the fan base, or maybe its just a recognition that he is often injured and its time to be thinking toward the future. In any case this is fascinating..
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE(Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Jan 17 2007, 06:39 PM) [snapback]103129[/snapback]

A close friend of mine went to school with and knew Donnie at Cuse and my close friend has always thought he was over-rated ... don't shoot me, just telling you what he thought, and he used to be in Donnie's close company.

That's really amazing since as a Cuse alumnus myself, I have followed Donnie closely his whole career and remember well how he excelled. His performance on the field was sensational. At the same time his leadership of a great group of future NFLers like Marvin Harrison, Kevin Johnson, Keith Bulluck, Donovin Darius, Eric Downing, Dwight Freeney, Morlon Greenwood, Roland Williams, Tebucky Jones, Will Allen/Petersen, Rob Konrad and of course our own Kaseem Sinceno biggrin.gif was highly regarded except obviously by your nationally renowned "insider". I thought it interesting that the 99 Cuse team, the best academic team in school history with 100% graduation percentage and a ton of academic all americans chose DMAC as its leader. All Donnie did on the field was lead them to 3 Big East championships and 4 post season bowl games. While doing so he earned his degree not in sand pile but in communications from the highly respected Newhouse School of Communications. He sure must have fooled those dummies. His being a repeated all-pro and proven himself to be arguably the most decent, humble, easy going star in Eagles history just proves that he is still fooling everybody. We are just the latest dummies to be fooled.

Sorrty Boca but to say I disagree with your friend would be a gross understatement. ac6.gif
McPhila
QUOTE(Flying Dutchman @ Jan 17 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]103154[/snapback]

That's really amazing since as a Cuse alumnus myself, I have followed Donnie closely his whole career and remember well how he excelled. His performance on the field was sensational. At the same time his leadership of a great group of future NFLers like Marvin Harrison, Kevin Johnson, Keith Bulluck, Donovin Darius, Eric Downing, Dwight Freeney, Morlon Greenwood, Roland Williams, Tebucky Jones, Will Allen/Petersen, Rob Konrad and of course our own Kaseem Sinceno biggrin.gif was highly regarded except obviously by your nationally renowned "insider". I thought it interesting that the 99 Cuse team, the best academic team in school history with 100% graduation percentage and a ton of academic all americans chose DMAC as its leader. All Donnie did on the field was lead them to 3 Big East championships and 4 post season bowl games. While doing so he earned his degree not in sand pile but in communications from the highly respected Newhouse School of Communications. He sure must have fooled those dummies. His being a repeated all-pro and proven himself to be arguably the most decent, humble, easy going star in Eagles history just proves that he is still fooling everybody. We are just the latest dummies to be fooled.

Sorrty Boca but to say I disagree with your friend would be a gross understatement. ac6.gif

Amazing. 5 is more qualified to be a reporter than most reporters.

happy.gif
Eagle_5
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 17 2007, 05:02 AM) [snapback]103015[/snapback]

And McNabb did not like it.

Uh oh.

INJURED EAGLES PLAYERS DON'T TRAVEL!!!

That's been Andy's policy for 8 years.
vermeilman
QUOTE(Eagle_5 @ Jan 17 2007, 11:18 PM) [snapback]103165[/snapback]

INJURED EAGLES PLAYERS DON'T TRAVEL!!!

That's been Andy's policy for 8 years.

Got it, and that was the substance of the first irate call Eckel received. Eckel is of the opinion there was more to it then that tho. He said Reid specifically told McNabb not to come, and McNabb was pissed. Read my other posts in this thread for context.
Pila
You're so itching for this to be a story. What a pathetic little barnacle.
vermeilman
QUOTE(Pila @ Jan 18 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]103220[/snapback]

No need for the personal attacks sport.
Phits
QUOTE(Pila @ Jan 18 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]103220[/snapback]

In V-Man's defense barnacle is a small marine organism with a shell that clings to rocks and ships and draws food by using slender hairs....so pathetic he might be, but small[little] is just "par for the course."
tongue.gif
vermeilman
QUOTE(Phits @ Jan 18 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]103245[/snapback]

In V-Man's defense barnacle is a small marine organism with a shell that clings to rocks and ships and draws food by using slender hairs....so pathetic he might be, but small[little] is just "par for the course."
tongue.gif

I'm surprised at you Phits, you're not a typical mindless basher. Resist the peer pressure, you're better than that.
Phits
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 18 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]103251[/snapback]

I'm surprised at you Phits, you're not a typical mindless basher. Resist the peer pressure, you're better than that.

I was merely pointing out barnacles are little [small] to begin with, since he called you a pathetic "little" barnacle.

It's not bashing, just helping out with the English language wherever I can. In this case there was no need for two adjectives in his sentence. biggrin.gif
Pila
Not really. I meant that he is a little barnacle, relative to other barnacles, not people. So while all barnacles are tiny relative to us, people, "little" was used to describe his stature among other barnacles, thus I was not being redundant, albeit a "little" anal perhaps.

QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 18 2007, 06:03 PM) [snapback]103231[/snapback]

No need for the personal attacks sport.
I meant it as a compliment, of course - I hold Barnacles in high regard. They're right there next to the shrimp as treasured bottom dwellers critical in nature's recycling shit-to-delicacy process.

You're welcome.
Phits
QUOTE(Pila @ Jan 18 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]103258[/snapback]

Not really. I meant that he is a little barnacle, relative to other barnacles, not people. So while all barnacles are tiny relative to us, people, "little" was used to describe his stature among other barnacles, thus I was not being redundant, albeit a "little" anal perhaps.

In that case, I stand corrected. dry.gif
Pila
Good man. Standing correct helps with posture.
vermeilman
Reid cancelled McNabb's Friday press conference.

Hmmmm....
mike quick
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 18 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]103293[/snapback]

Reid cancelled McNabb's Friday press conference.

Hmmmm....
Good.
vermeilman
QUOTE(mike quick @ Jan 18 2007, 06:55 PM) [snapback]103302[/snapback]

Good.

Yeah I agree, it is good. But I donno fellers, maybe ole Eckel is on to something..
91defense
i think that we have the core of a great team with mcnabb at the healm. he was having a good year until he got hurt and i think that we have much more pressing needs w/o having a qb controversy. the 2 things we need to address are stopping the run and being able to get a 1st down by running on 3rd and 1. having said that, i did post in july that i thought we would have a better year in '07 then this year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.