Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, If They Paid Hollis Would We Still Be Playing?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
vermeilman
He wanted an extra $500,000.
Buddysballs
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 14 2007, 11:18 PM) [snapback]102598[/snapback]

Possibly.. but I doubt it. I think this game really came down to that horrible series at the goal line.. passing on 3rd and short and then going for the chickenshit fieldgoal on 4th down. Also the punt at the end of the game too.

Birdbrain
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 14 2007, 10:18 PM) [snapback]102598[/snapback]

Funny you bring this up, Vman. I was thinking about our off-season needs and the first thing that came to mind was a good 4-3 Nose Tackle. I'm not sure how Hollis played against all the other teams but he was sure fired up against us. Maybe it was just that feeling of getting snubbed. Still, I'd like to get a bigger "Bubba" down there in the middle. Truthfully...I really wanted Ngata in last year's draft. dry.gif
vermeilman
QUOTE(Birdbrain @ Jan 14 2007, 11:46 PM) [snapback]102607[/snapback]

Funny you bring this up, Vman. I was thinking about our off-season needs and the first thing that came to mind was a good 4-3 Nose Tackle. I'm not sure how Hollis played against all the other teams but he was sure fired up against us. Maybe it was just that feeling of getting snubbed. Still, I'd like to get a bigger "Bubba" down there in the middle. Truthfully...I really wanted Ngata in last year's draft. dry.gif

Hollis had a real good year until his suspension. I think Hollis started juicing because he realized he has one more shot at a pay day. Supposedly the steroids he took were to help with weight control. If Hollis had been given his extra $500,000 he would have stayed, wouldn't have juiced, would have helped our run D and perhaps hurt the Saints. At least that's worth considering. And I wanted Ngata too, but no, they said he didn't fit JJ's system. blink.gif
koolaidluke
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 14 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]102611[/snapback]

And I wanted Ngata too, but no, they said he didn't fit JJ's system. blink.gif

But Rayburn does? All Ngata is is a better version of Rayburn.

He wasn't on the board though, so there was nothing we could do. I still think Bunkley will be pretty good.
TGryn
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 14 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]102611[/snapback]

If Hollis had been given his extra $500,000 he would have stayed, wouldn't have juiced, would have helped our run D and perhaps hurt the Saints. At least that's worth considering. And I wanted Ngata too, but no, they said he didn't fit JJ's system. blink.gif

But how motivated would Hollis have been here after getting that payday, continuing as a semi-starter in JJ's system and remaining in the same environment he'd been in for the past 10 years? And Ngata went before our selection, so its not like they passed on him, he wasn't on the board at #14 where we picked Bunkley.

If we're going to go down that path, might as well bring up Burgess and Brock again, while we're at it.
AustinFan
Everyone is brilliant in hindsight, did you watch Hollis in 2005? He was no run stopper, he was on his last legs.

And if I'm the Saints, I ain't counting on him in 2007. Sometimes you can pick up someone and get one good year out of him, but you have to be smart enough to know when there's nothing left in the tank and cut your losses.

Run stoppers do play to a much older age than one gap DTs, but usually the really big guys like Washington, Traylor, Sapp - Hollis isn't that big, he's just fat (345 lbs).
bullwinkle
No. He gets caught with steroids earlier in the year with our luck, and they are totally out of his system by December. If the NFL was watching his play, they really should have got suspicious before September was over.

PS
I'm just responding to the title of the first post of the thread. I didn't read the post.
BgBry44
No....Hollis would be on the sideline sucking air just like every other game he played in an Eagles uni.
vermeilman
QUOTE(BgBry44 @ Jan 15 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]102704[/snapback]

No....Hollis would be on the sideline sucking air just like every other game he played in an Eagles uni.

Hey, Hollis was our best run stopper when healthy bro, without question.

QUOTE(bullwinkle @ Jan 15 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]102675[/snapback]

PS
I'm just responding to the title of the first post of the thread. I didn't read the post.

laugh.gif ka.gif
BgBry44
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 15 2007, 01:35 PM) [snapback]102708[/snapback]

Hey, Hollis was our best run stopper when healthy bro, without question.
laugh.gif ka.gif

I'd agree, but he wasn't that reliable. For every play he'd blow up, he'd take one off. He might have helped, but even with him the result of the game wasn't going to change.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.