Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not sure if it's been discussed
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JaxEagle
Pardon me if I am stating the obvious, but I have not read any of the new threads. I am still pissed.

Anyway, yesterday's gameplan and playcalling smelled like Andy to me. What % of our plays were passes? Over 60% I guess. It was commonly thought that we needed to control the clock, we didn't even try. Our hoss offensive line was never given the chance to get in rhytym of running the ball. Anyway, the playcalls down at the goaline when we failed to get a first down were suspiciously like Andy. After we got the fumble, the play calls were also Andy-esque.

Anybody else think the same?
vermeilman
Yep, it smelled of Reid play calling all the way. Many have written of it. I believe the break down was 30 pass and 15 run. I remember seeing a look on the sideline from Marty that appeared to be one of those "what are you doing Andy" looks. My theory is that when the initial game plan didn't click Reid took over, no longer able to suppress his ego. In any case predictably the crack Philadelphia sports media didn't ask the question at either press conference.

There is no doubt that Garcia was asked to win doing his best McNabb imitation yesterday though. Too bad. Garcia can't do Donny and Donny can't do Garcia.
AustinFan
Nonsense. They tried to run, they were being shut down completely, just like the Giants game when they also went to the pass. Difference was, in the Giants game the offensive line took control in the second half, against the Saints they could never get movement inside.

You can run for 3 yards a play, but if you run for 1 yard, you end up in a lot of 2nd and 9 and 3rd and 8 situations.
vermeilman
Nonsense, as had been proven time and time again you stick with the run and don't panic. It wears the opposition down late in the game. Fat Hollis was sucking air in the first quarter.
Bez
QUOTE(JaxEagle @ Jan 14 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]102539[/snapback]

Pardon me if I am stating the obvious, but I have not read any of the new threads. I am still pissed.

Anyway, yesterday's gameplan and playcalling smelled like Andy to me. What % of our plays were passes? Over 60% I guess. It was commonly thought that we needed to control the clock, we didn't even try. Our hoss offensive line was never given the chance to get in rhytym of running the ball. Anyway, the playcalls down at the goaline when we failed to get a first down were suspiciously like Andy. After we got the fumble, the play calls were also Andy-esque.

Anybody else think the same?
I hear you Jax. But his camper hasnt seen enough regular season games in a row to weigh in. I have a feeling I will be doing alot orf reading for awhile. Hope your good spirits make a comeback soon. Peace. wink.gif BEz
Tileguybob
I think the pass first attitude was instailled early in the week and the line fell back into old habits. If they had been told on Monday that it was their game to win with run blocking they would have been a lot more aggressive. Granted NO loaded the box sometimes, so audible to a pass then. I saw more than a few times when they ran aginst 8 or 9 and passed against LBs backpeddling at the snap.
JaxEagle
agree with all points tileguy - i noticed the same. regardless, to run the ball, you have to give your lineman enough reps to get in sync. smelled like andy to me. next year, i want marty to have sole playcalling duties. andy won't draft a rb just so he doesn't feel pressured to run the ball.
TGryn
At the half, Eagles:
14 yards total rushing, 1.3 yds/rush.
171 yards total passing, 10.5 yds/pass.
Play selection: 17 passes, 11 runs (inc. 3 scrambles by Garcia)

One part of the offense was effective, the other clearly wasn't in the first half. Choosing not to take advantage of the weakness of the NO secondary & their defensive stacking of the line would have been just the kind of bad stubbornness Andy's been criticized for in the past.

End of game stats, Eagles:
123 yards total rushing, 6.2 yds/rush.
232 yards total passing, 7.5 yds/pass.
Play selection: 30 passes, 20 runs (inc. 4 scrambles by Garcia). 2nd half: 13 passes, 9 runs.

On the other hand, Reidweg didn't stop giving Westbrook the ball, and it paid big dividends. Westy's 62 yard TD run was a big part of boosting that yds/rush average, but he also had runs of 18 and 15 yards. Garcia went 6-for-13 in the 2nd half after going 9-for-17 in the 1st half...and remember, Westy had a good 4 drops in there.

The passing game was working all night, keep going after them until they take it away from you. As far as I can tell, that's what Marty and Andy were doing in the 1st half, I have no problem with that. They did keep at the run in the 2nd half, though.

In the end, like many games this year, the offense wasn't what lost the game for us, our weak run defense was what did us in.
Flying Dutchman
I spent the off-season talking up the potential for our young Oline to be really good. I spent the season watching and complimenting them as they turned into at least, one of the very best in the NFL. I spent last night wondering who those guys were we had on our Oline. They got beat plain and simple. They may just have been tired and the Aints well rested, but to me we did not execute and our whole rushing game broke down. I saw no evidence of any reversion to their old playmaking for the sake of such. I saw them forced to go back to the passing game when the run failed, again and again and again. Then it got worse as the Big Kid went out. The Oline, like Dawkins, Trotter, Walker and others had a bad day. When they are on, they are the engine that drives playcalling, TOP etc. When they are off, like last night, they drive us into an unhealthy mix with lots of unwanted results.
bullwinkle
I think we would have benefitted if we had a hot audible to go from a running play to a play action pass when they put 9 in the box. I'm surprised they didn't make that half-time adjustment.

The bottom line though is that we lost in the trenches on both sides. Maybe the Saints having that week off made that much of a difference. It would explain the 28-4 record teams in the playoffs with a week off have against teams that don't have a week off.

Next year, we got to cut down on stupid mistakes; the kind that cost us 4 games this year. If Gainters hadn't been out there are the 12th man when we sacked BVrees in the first game, the Saints would have been playing a rested Eagles team in Philly. If our DL wasn't trying to sack QBs early in the year by attacking their face, we would have had a bye. If Cole had waited until after the game to kick some one in the groin, we are home. If McDouble doesn't kick the referee's flag, we are home. This was the most undisciplined DL I have ever seen on the Eagles. We definitely need a new DL coach.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE(Flying Dutchman @ Jan 14 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]102580[/snapback]

I spent the off-season talking up the potential for our young Oline to be really good. I spent the season watching and complimenting them as they turned into at least, one of the very best in the NFL. I spent last night wondering who those guys were we had on our Oline. They got beat plain and simple. They may just have been tired and the Aints well rested, but to me we did not execute and our whole rushing game broke down. I saw no evidence of any reversion to their old playmaking for the sake of such. I saw them forced to go back to the passing game when the run failed, again and again and again. Then it got worse as the Big Kid went out. The Oline, like Dawkins, Trotter, Walker and others had a bad day. When they are on, they are the engine that drives playcalling, TOP etc. When they are off, like last night, they drive us into an unhealthy mix with lots of unwanted results.

Andrews was hurt early, think it got worse as the game progressed. When 1 piece of that 5 man group is faltering, the whole unit tends to suffer. If he wasn't hurt, I bet the line would have dominated by the second half. Young wasn't awful, but he was nowhere near what Big Shawn is.
md717
QUOTE(bullwinkle @ Jan 14 2007, 11:02 PM) [snapback]102591[/snapback]

It would explain the 28-4 record teams in the playoffs with a week off have against teams that don't have a week off.

Interestingly, this week the rested "bye" teams went 2-2 against unrested visiting teams w/o the bye. Indy and NE won, while PHI and SEA lost.
bullwinkle
QUOTE(md717 @ Jan 14 2007, 11:58 PM) [snapback]102612[/snapback]

Interestingly, this week the rested "bye" teams went 2-2 against unrested visiting teams w/o the bye. Indy and NE won, while PHI and SEA lost.

Yep. You could count on NE to skew this statistic. But I can't explain Indy. Their offense is playing horrible. But all of the sudden, their defense is playing like a dominant defense. I have no explanation as to why they are able to shut down running games in the post-season when they were so horrible against the run all during the regular season.
Zero
QUOTE(TGryn @ Jan 14 2007, 10:34 PM) [snapback]102579[/snapback]

At the half, Eagles:
14 yards total rushing, 1.3 yds/rush.
171 yards total passing, 10.5 yds/pass.
Play selection: 17 passes, 11 runs (inc. 3 scrambles by Garcia)

One part of the offense was effective, the other clearly wasn't in the first half. Choosing not to take advantage of the weakness of the NO secondary & their defensive stacking of the line would have been just the kind of bad stubbornness Andy's been criticized for in the past.

End of game stats, Eagles:
123 yards total rushing, 6.2 yds/rush.
232 yards total passing, 7.5 yds/pass.
Play selection: 30 passes, 20 runs (inc. 4 scrambles by Garcia). 2nd half: 13 passes, 9 runs.

On the other hand, Reidweg didn't stop giving Westbrook the ball, and it paid big dividends. Westy's 62 yard TD run was a big part of boosting that yds/rush average, but he also had runs of 18 and 15 yards. Garcia went 6-for-13 in the 2nd half after going 9-for-17 in the 1st half...and remember, Westy had a good 4 drops in there.

The passing game was working all night, keep going after them until they take it away from you. As far as I can tell, that's what Marty and Andy were doing in the 1st half, I have no problem with that. They did keep at the run in the 2nd half, though.

In the end, like many games this year, the offense wasn't what lost the game for us, our weak run defense was what did us in.

I thought fat boy's comments (whatshisname the sideline commentator) about the noise affecting the OL were on target. I know we practiced it, but I'm sure their D did too and they got the best of us pure and simple. Returning to the pass was the only option and it was working.

No sour grapes, but I still think the officials affected the outcome of the game especially on that last McCallister drive where Cole was blatantly and effectively held on every play. sad.gif
McPhila
Marty = only calls the plays when they work.

Andy = only calls the plays when they don't work.

Give me a break already. Marty ain't perfect.
koolaidluke
QUOTE(Zero @ Jan 15 2007, 06:56 AM) [snapback]102636[/snapback]

I thought fat boy's comments (whatshisname the sideline commentator) about the noise affecting the OL were on target. I know we practiced it, but I'm sure their D did too and they got the best of us pure and simple. Returning to the pass was the only option and it was working.

No sour grapes, but I still think the officials affected the outcome of the game especially on that last McCallister drive where Cole was blatantly and effectively held on every play. sad.gif

Holding is pretty much legal in todays NFL. Defensive linemen are so strong and so fast that if O linemen can't hold them offense will simply no longer exist. I'd like to see the officials show some balance though and let Dbacks play just like they are allowing offensive linemen to do.
JaxEagle
QUOTE(McPhila @ Jan 15 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]102650[/snapback]

Marty = only calls the plays when they work.

Andy = only calls the plays when they don't work.

Give me a break already. Marty ain't perfect.

No, not quite the point McPhila. When we get pass happy, it starts to smell like Andy. Our Oline did play a terrible game, but running the ball takes getting in sync and having a mentality to run the ball. Marty allows that to happen. Andy doesn't let that happen. Thus my conspiracy theory about Reid callign the plays....

Did Reid really call the plays? Who knows.......
McPhila
QUOTE(JaxEagle @ Jan 15 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]102763[/snapback]

No, not quite the point McPhila. When we get pass happy, it starts to smell like Andy. Our Oline did play a terrible game, but running the ball takes getting in sync and having a mentality to run the ball. Marty allows that to happen. Andy doesn't let that happen. Thus my conspiracy theory about Reid callign the plays....

Did Reid really call the plays? Who knows.......

You act as if Marty can't be pass happy. It was working so he stuck with it.

Last time I checked AR was very successful when calling the plays...the only reason people are bitching is because we lost. If we had won that game everyone is praising Marty for adapting.

It's complete horseshit if you ask me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.