Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Banner scoring more PR points with fans.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
It's been all over the sports talk shows in Philly. He sure pissed some people off.

For the $10,000 question, can anyone think of why he said this now? (There is an answer to this if you've seen some local Eagles coverage this week)

That's our Joe Montana of the Salary Cap!!

Lock Cousin It in the closet will you Morticia!!

It was so bad the Houseman of the Airwaves chose to argue about it with Steve and Ant for a few minutes and then he did the old redirection play by trying to emphasize the Sixers idiotic bumblings, like anyone cares.
==============================================================
From Bob Brookover of the Inqy:

Low-key Lurie celebrates a high note

By Bob Brookover
Inquirer Staff Writer

Center City office towers are lit in green, team flags fly from cars, and bars boom at game time.

Yes, the Eagles are in the playoffs for the fifth time in six years, preparing for the next round Saturday night against the New Orleans Saints in the Superdome.

Their fans are happy again.

Yet many of them seem reluctant to acknowledge that this is a Jeffrey Lurie and Joe Banner production, that those two men have provided a quality product since taking control of the Eagles in 1995.

Post Your Comment

A Super Bowl title, of course, remains the Holy Grail, but since Lurie bought the Eagles from Norman Braman in late 1994 and made Banner his right-hand man, this team has flourished.

"I feel very good about this team and what we've been able to accomplish, but obviously we have more things to accomplish," Lurie said yesterday in his office at the NovaCare Complex. "Our focus is to try to win Super Bowls."

That focus is shared by the Eagles' coaches, players and fans, but Lurie never really has been embraced by the people who pay to watch his football team. They love his product, to be sure, but the response to the owner is often lukewarm.

The Eagles have played in the postseason eight times in 12 years during the Lurie-Banner era, posting a 9-7 record. Only the Indianapolis Colts (nine times) have made more playoff appearances than the Eagles in that span, and only the New England Patriots, with 14, and the Pittsburgh Steelers (11) have more playoff wins.

Compared to the team's previous eras (or is that errors?) of ownership, Lurie's Eagles have been a rousing success. The Eagles captured their fifth NFC East title in six years this season. During the Leonard Tose (1969-84) and Braman (1985-94) years, the team won two NFC East titles and made eight playoff appearances, going 4-8 in the postseason.

The fans' reaction to Lurie bothers Banner, who also would not rank among the region's most popular people even though he has helped produce a consistent winner.

"I have to tell you, that's personally frustrating to me in a public-relations sense," Banner said. "I know this is controversial, but I don't think there's another owner who would have kept this team in Philadelphia for the economic deal we got on our stadium.

"I'm not trying to belittle the public contribution, but as it relates to what other cities did and other offers we had from other cities, I can't imagine many owners that would have come from someplace else and had the kind of loyalty that he demonstrated to these football fans and this city and the history of the franchise. I don't think anybody recognizes that. I don't think anybody thinks of that."

None of that seems to bother Lurie.

He's too focused on the Eagles' meeting with the Saints Saturday night in New Orleans. Lurie acknowledged that he has a special feeling for this team because he remembers how low things were that late November night in Indianapolis when the Colts crushed the Eagles, 45-21. Lurie's team had lost for the fifth time in six games, and cries for coach Andy Reid's job came from all corners of the city and suburbs.

Neither Lurie nor Banner criticized the coach or the team's tailspin. Instead, they listened to their coach and believed in him.

"Don't worry; we're going to get this straightened out," Reid told Banner.

"I have no worry, I know that," Banner told the coach.

Lurie's conversation with the coach was similar.

"He said this is so fixable," the 55-year-old Lurie said. "And I believed him, too."

Some might call it a blind faith. Banner and Lurie call it a track record that gives them explicit trust in their coach.

"Regardless of whether there is any legitimate criticism of anything done right or wrong, you can't just suddenly lose the context of eight years Andy and the coaching staff have had here," Banner said.

Lurie read from the same page.

"Watching that Indianapolis game was particularly disappointing, because we just didn't play good, physical football," Lurie said. "That more than anything bothered me. But at no time was I ever anything other than completely supportive of the quality of the coaching staff here. That's just how I feel about them.

"I have such confidence in Andy. You're going to have up-and-down blips during the season. You're going to have lots of points where there are obstacles, whether it is injured players or a letdown after a big win."

The belief in the coaching staff was rewarded. The Eagles have strung together six consecutive wins and captured a division title that, shortly after Thanksgiving, nobody thought they could possibly win.

"This ranks right up at the top in terms of pride," Lurie said when asked to compare the 2006 team to some of his others. "I think this is such a difficult sport to turn around a season. Nobody ever pointed fingers. You never saw the offense complaining about the defense or the special teams. Nobody complained about the coaches, nobody complained about the schemes.

"We're in this together, and we know we've had great success before, so our thinking was, 'What can we do to play real solid football?' "

Now, the city is lit in green again. Team flags are flying from cars and houses. Toasts to the Eagles are about to be made in bars and homes around the region.

It's playoff time, and since Lurie has been the team's owner and Banner its president, the Eagles have been there two-thirds of the time.

The team and the city have done a lot worse.

Reality Fan
Hmmmm, let's see, the guy has had incredible success, albeit no SB Championships, since buying the team, yet he, being the Eagles, is characterized as a cheapskate, yada, yada, yada.

Now I know, like Steve(what a douchebag he is) and Ant(love em.), everyone will line up and say he never gets bashed, yet it is out there time and time again.

He has been a great owner and no matter how good you think the deal he got here was, he had several paramours that were looking to get a team, so he do doubt had some offers.

More silliness, what is next, ARs kid said something mean on a blog?
philly93kearse
QUOTE(nephillymike @ Jan 11 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]101765[/snapback]

"I have to tell you, that's personally frustrating to me in a public-relations sense," Banner said. "I know this is controversial, but I don't think there's another owner who would have kept this team in Philadelphia for the economic deal we got on our stadium.

"I'm not trying to belittle the public contribution, but as it relates to what other cities did and other offers we had from other cities, I can't imagine many owners that would have come from someplace else and had the kind of loyalty that he demonstrated to these football fans and this city and the history of the franchise. I don't think anybody recognizes that. I don't think anybody thinks of that."

Yeah he should have stayed loyal to us since we have stayed loyal through all the tough years, with no SB wins, and only one SB appearance, he helped make us good but dont come out and say you could have left thats how you lose support not gain it.
Commish
I'm sorry, as an out-of-towner, could you tell me what the big deal is?

As a life-long Eagles fan, I feel it's "my" team. I have emotional ownership, no doubt. Many of us feel that way.

But, last time I checked, I don't own the team. Lurie does. Sure, I've paid for plenty of games, memorabilia and other crap, but that doesn't give me a percentage of the team. On the other hand, Lurie is the guy who coughed up millions and millions of dollars. Does that give him the right to compare his deal to other owners in other markets? Sure does. Do fans have to like his comparison? Absolutely not. But, its the truth. And if they want to use that as just another reason to bitch and complain, that's their loss.

If you ask me, its a non-story.

Aren't we playing a playoff game in less than 48 hours? I'd rather pick on more Aints fans.
vermeilman
Why they let Rat Boy talk is beyond me. Every time he opens his mouth he makes it oh so clear just how much ownership, deep down inside, detest philly fans. Too bad.
Phits
QUOTE(Commish @ Jan 12 2007, 01:05 AM) [snapback]101787[/snapback]

Aren't we playing a playoff game in less than 48 hours? I'd rather pick on more Aints fans.

WHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

E...A...G...L...E...S......EAGLES !!!!
koolaidluke
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 12 2007, 01:18 AM) [snapback]101793[/snapback]

Why they let Rat Boy talk is beyond me. Every time he opens his mouth he makes it oh so clear just how much ownership, deep down inside, detest philly fans. Too bad.

Banner doesn't own shit. Why do people act like he does?
Reality Fan
QUOTE(vermeilman @ Jan 12 2007, 01:18 AM) [snapback]101793[/snapback]

Yes, that makes sense. What is the color of the sky in your world?

How do you gleen that conclusion? How do you arrive at unearthing their deep seated hate of the fans? I got to know what logic you used for that?
bullwinkle
The Eagles owners, despite their flaws are among the best our team has ever had. Cap discipline gives them more chances to succeed year after year. After years of observing, I prefer to have the tight-fisted Lurie running my team than the big spending Snyder. And I feel sorry for sane Dallas fans whose owner thinks he is a football guy.
koolaidluke
The Eagles actually spend the 2nd most cap money of any franchise in the league, behind only the Redskins. If somebody doesn't like Lurban or their cap strategy, that's their perogative, but calling them cheap makes no sense. If Lurie is cheap, every owner besides Snyder is even cheaper.
Zero
My Dad used to tell that "it's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it." Banner should not be representing the Eagles as a PR guy. He doesn't come across as symathetic, compassionate or a "people person" although we read that he is a really decent guy who does a great job. Don't know about the decent guy part but he's done a very good job.
TGryn
Agree with Zero. Banner does a great job as the cap guy, and in multiple articles I've read that he's a good family and community man. However, JB has no sense of PR and how to come across as sympathetic, and has an unfortunate ability to put his foot in his mouth. And for TV, there's nothing he can do about it, but his physical appearence fits the stereotype of "accountant" rather than what fans think a 'football guy' should look like:
IPB Image
and for certain fans, I think there's an unconscious thing of "gee, the guy looks like a dork, why the heck is he working for the Eagles and I'm not?"

Compare to Modrak, for example (on left)
IPB Image
who has the tough-guy "I can kick your a$$ on the field" look down pat, which fits fans' expectations of what someone working in the NFL should look like.
AustinFan
Yep, it's all image, Lurie looks like a wimp, and Banner like a Weasel.

But Banner is right, Lurie put his money on the line, he had nothing to do with Tose being a gambler or Braman a cheap SOB, so what did it matter to him that fans suffered through the incompetence of previous owners. He cam to town with no built in loyalty, turned down better offers, and built the franchise up to its highest level in its history, made the playoffs 8 times in 11 years with four NFCCG appearances and 1 Superbowl. He built first rate facilities for the team, from practice fields to a new stadium, paid top dollar for coaches, and whatever it took to sign FAs his coach wanted. Fans can piss about seat licenses, etc., but look around the league, that's all SOP in this business - and it is a business to Lurie, it's all his assets - just because it's a religion to you doesn't mean he wants to go broke.

Now compare to the losers who own the Phillies, Ed Snider's horrible track record the last decade (the Flyers outspend the league and keep coming up shorter and shorter, the Sixer debacle), or about 28 other NFL owners.

I don't think they want to be deified, but a little respect and appreciation would probably be nice.
JaxEagle
Lurie has impressed me over the years by maintaining a fairly calm and low-profile personality.
snapper
QUOTE(JaxEagle @ Jan 12 2007, 08:42 AM) [snapback]101824[/snapback]

Lurie has impressed me over the years by maintaining a fairly calm and low-profile personality.

I am also impressed with Lurie's stewardship of the team. I believe he's genuinely focused on bring a superbowl to the fans of the Eagles. That nothing would please him more than parading the trophy around the streets all over the city.

Having said that, I don't need Joe Banner telling me that the public contribution to the team wasn't enough and implying that any other owner would have packed up the team and left town. They need to put a muzzle on this guy and lock him up in the counting room where he can do the most good.
JaxEagle
QUOTE(TGryn @ Jan 12 2007, 08:02 AM) [snapback]101821[/snapback]

Agree with Zero. Banner does a great job as the cap guy, and in multiple articles I've read that he's a good family and community man. However, JB has no sense of PR and how to come across as sympathetic, and has an unfortunate ability to put his foot in his mouth. And for TV, there's nothing he can do about it, but his physical appearence fits the stereotype of "accountant" rather than what fans think a 'football guy' should look like:
IPB Image
and for certain fans, I think there's an unconscious thing of "gee, the guy looks like a dork, why the heck is he working for the Eagles and I'm not?"

Compare to Modrak, for example (on left)
IPB Image
who has the tough-guy "I can kick your a$$ on the field" look down pat, which fits fans' expectations of what someone working in the NFL should look like.

Banner is not a good looking man.
D Rock
Holy Crap!!! Who gives a rat's ass what he looks like? Would you prefer Mathew McConaghey? Or George Clooney? What the hell are you guys talking about?

He's not good looking enough for you? You GOTTA be kidding.
JaxEagle
QUOTE(D Rock @ Jan 12 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]101876[/snapback]

Holy Crap!!! Who gives a rat's ass what he looks like? Would you prefer Mathew McConaghey? Or George Clooney? What the hell are you guys talking about?

He's not good looking enough for you? You GOTTA be kidding.

D Rock - take a chill pill one time. I was just trying to make a funny comment...
D Rock
LOL

Well, back to the drawing board funny man.

tongue.gif
Phits
QUOTE(JaxEagle @ Jan 12 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]101872[/snapback]

Banner is not a good looking man.

You got that right. He should have Angelina Jolie or Halle Berry stand in for his media pix.
JaxEagle
QUOTE(D Rock @ Jan 12 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]101879[/snapback]

LOL

Well, back to the drawing board funny man.

tongue.gif

Phits got the joke...
D Rock
That must feel good...

rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif
Pila
As usual, I'm always an exception. I'm in fact a fan of Banner and Lurie. And I agree with Banner that Lurie doesn't get a fair treatment from fans. Perhaps the timing of what he said wasn't appropriate, but his comments ring true to me.

Having said that, Banner was precisely the type of likeness geek I killed playing dodge ball back in teenhood. Of course, he can now just buy my wife and kids if he wanted to...

I'm sorry, Joe - you know, kids are cruel and shit...
JaxEagle
QUOTE(D Rock @ Jan 12 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]101884[/snapback]

That must feel good...

rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif

hunch.gif
Phits
QUOTE(D Rock @ Jan 12 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]101884[/snapback]

That must feel good...

rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif

Yo mama
D Rock
QUOTE(Phits @ Jan 12 2007, 08:28 PM) [snapback]101891[/snapback]

Yo mama

Bravo Phits.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE(snapper @ Jan 12 2007, 09:22 AM) [snapback]101830[/snapback]

I am also impressed with Lurie's stewardship of the team. I believe he's genuinely focused on bring a superbowl to the fans of the Eagles. That nothing would please him more than parading the trophy around the streets all over the city.

Having said that, I don't need Joe Banner telling me that the public contribution to the team wasn't enough and implying that any other owner would have packed up the team and left town. They need to put a muzzle on this guy and lock him up in the counting room where he can do the most good.

Unfortunately he is right. It seems that people just like to pick on him cause he looks llike a wimp. Its time the real fans in Philly stand up for the best ownership this team has EVER had. After going through the worst of Eagles ownership and coaching in their history, I thinks its high time we give credit to Lurie and Banner.....its way, way, way overdue. They have been right again and again. Screw WIP and their idiots. Stand up for the Eagles!!!
vermeilman
QUOTE(Flying Dutchman @ Jan 12 2007, 07:17 PM) [snapback]101932[/snapback]

Unfortunately he is right. It seems that people just like to pick on him cause he looks llike a wimp. Its time the real fans in Philly stand up for the best ownership this team has EVER had. After going through the worst of Eagles ownership and coaching in their history, I thinks its high time we give credit to Lurie and Banner.....its way, way, way overdue. They have been right again and again. Screw WIP and their idiots. Stand up for the Eagles!!!

Screw you, he's wrong.
D Rock
blink.gif

Wow

That was convincing.

rolleyes.gif
nephillymike
The reaction here was about what I expected. I admit the timing is not good for a discussion, but we can't be a Eagles message board and not mention the hottest topic of the day, IMO.

Kim Etheridge of PR was on the monring show and I think he acquitted himself quite well. Of course the morning guys didn't have a clue of what questions to ask him to pin him down on some issues but basically he kep on saying to the morning team that if THEY knew what the deal was for the stadium they'd feel different about Jeff. After asking him a few times to elaborate the deal, he finally gave in and said

1. The state contributed $85 M towards the stadium.
2. The City gave no upfront money, but gave them a maintanance allowance for expenses which they would have had to do anyway if they were at the Vet still. The contributed the land, which needs to be returned to the city if the stadium is demolished.
3. That Lurie had better offers but he declined on the details of those offers.
4. That Lurie told him to not consider moving the team anywhere, local or distant, but just get a deal that wouldn't hinder their ability to compete in the capped NFL.

My question to Banner would have been this. Jeff bought the team for $100+ (?) million back in '94 (?), the team, after the new stadium, is worth almost a billion dollars, top three (?) of the NFL. Under which deal and which city do you think in hindsight that the value of your organization today would be more than it is now, had you opted for the other deal? Everyone knows that the fair market value of an organization is based on balance sheet, net worth, cash flow, fan base, merchandise sales and revenues from stadium deals, parking and concessions. Forbes analysts must see your deal with this loyal fan base as being extrememely valuable, such that it is top three of the NFL. Did they see some value that really isn't there or are there other perks of your deal with this city that make is so valuable? Don't you really have a lucrative deal here relative to other teams Joe?

My guess as to the reason he said this now was Ed Rendell.

The locals may have seen on Comcast Post Game show. When the subject of the field condition came up, Rendell said that he just had to say something and the others gave him the pulpit for a minute. He said for years, when the field was the city's responsibility, he heard non stop complaints from people, and you know who you are. (ie Banner). Well it's your responsibility now and it ain't that easy is it? All people knew it was a direct shot at Banner. Fast Eddie went out of his way to slam the PR machine and methinks that as he's known to do, Banner just fired back the best way he knew how, bring up the stadium and how lucky we are to still have them here. BTW, if anyone remembers, Banner did threaten to leave when the deal was not moving along to thier liking. Fast Eddie took a shot and Banner fired back. PR be damned!

When will they get a real PR man and keep him away from the media? He doesn't do Jeff any favors. He is a huge reason why Jeff doesn't get the love he yearns for. Am I the only one who remembers Saint Jeffrey and his weekly hugfests with the tailgaters early in his tenure??
Tileguybob
QUOTE(nephillymike @ Jan 12 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]101945[/snapback]

Am I the only one who remembers Saint Jeffrey and his weekly hugfests with the tailgaters early in his tenure??

I sure do. He was mobbed like Elvis when he walked through the lot. Then as the team went sour at the end of the Rhodes era he just disappeared from the radar.
Reality Fan
QUOTE(nephillymike @ Jan 12 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]101945[/snapback]

The reaction here was about what I expected. I admit the timing is not good for a discussion, but we can't be a Eagles message board and not mention the hottest topic of the day, IMO.

Kim Etheridge of PR was on the monring show and I think he acquitted himself quite well. Of course the morning guys didn't have a clue of what questions to ask him to pin him down on some issues but basically he kep on saying to the morning team that if THEY knew what the deal was for the stadium they'd feel different about Jeff. After asking him a few times to elaborate the deal, he finally gave in and said

1. The state contributed $85 M towards the stadium.
2. The City gave no upfront money, but gave them a maintanance allowance for expenses which they would have had to do anyway if they were at the Vet still. The contributed the land, which needs to be returned to the city if the stadium is demolished.
3. That Lurie had better offers but he declined on the details of those offers.
4. That Lurie told him to not consider moving the team anywhere, local or distant, but just get a deal that wouldn't hinder their ability to compete in the capped NFL.

My question to Banner would have been this. Jeff bought the team for $100+ (?) million back in '94 (?), the team, after the new stadium, is worth almost a billion dollars, top three (?) of the NFL. Under which deal and which city do you think in hindsight that the value of your organization today would be more than it is now, had you opted for the other deal? Everyone knows that the fair market value of an organization is based on balance sheet, net worth, cash flow, fan base, merchandise sales and revenues from stadium deals, parking and concessions. Forbes analysts must see your deal with this loyal fan base as being extrememely valuable, such that it is top three of the NFL. Did they see some value that really isn't there or are there other perks of your deal with this city that make is so valuable? Don't you really have a lucrative deal here relative to other teams Joe?

My guess as to the reason he said this now was Ed Rendell.

The locals may have seen on Comcast Post Game show. When the subject of the field condition came up, Rendell said that he just had to say something and the others gave him the pulpit for a minute. He said for years, when the field was the city's responsibility, he heard non stop complaints from people, and you know who you are. (ie Banner). Well it's your responsibility now and it ain't that easy is it? All people knew it was a direct shot at Banner. Fast Eddie went out of his way to slam the PR machine and methinks that as he's known to do, Banner just fired back the best way he knew how, bring up the stadium and how lucky we are to still have them here. BTW, if anyone remembers, Banner did threaten to leave when the deal was not moving along to thier liking. Fast Eddie took a shot and Banner fired back. PR be damned!

When will they get a real PR man and keep him away from the media? He doesn't do Jeff any favors. He is a huge reason why Jeff doesn't get the love he yearns for. Am I the only one who remembers Saint Jeffrey and his weekly hugfests with the tailgaters early in his tenure??

Name just about any other city in the US and you have your answer. Any city, with good fans or bad, will support a team that wins in the NFL. The key is winning and guess what the Eagles do? They may not have won a SB yet, but they win.
vermeilman
Or you could try to address Mike's post. I mean you did quote it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.