Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just a temporary home.
Eagles Forum > Forum Administration > Technical Help and Forum Suggestions
wizardsandwars
Hey guys.

Regardless of our reasons for being here, we've all felt strongly enough about how things were going over at igglephans, that we wanted to make a place of our own. I've received enough interest that I've been talked into building a new site.

Feel free to use this boad as a temporary home until that new site can be completed.

A few things I'm going to need right off the bat....

First, please let me know how you like this software. I'm seriously considering using this, becasue it is a little easier to manage, and has more functionality that the boad software at igglephans.

Second, we need a name. As a temporary name, I've registered the domain 'www.eaglephans.com', until we can come up ith something better. It would be great if someone could start a thread with theier suggestions. THen we could narrow it down an have a poll.

Third, I'd like to see some of your thoughts on what this site should be, in terms of management, and administration. What hsould be allowed, and wat shouldn't.

Fourth, I'm not going to appoint mods and moderators just yet. As the forum grows, we will have nominations, and polls to determine who runs this place.

Fifth, this place will be funded by a small wel placed ad at the top of the page, as well as a 'paypal' donation button. One these are in place, feel free to click on the ad, or donate a often as possible. Contributions are not required, and all profit will go back into the board, in terms of T-shirts made for long standing members.

Finally, lets not take this all too seriously, and lets post some football posts, ok, The draft is tomorrow, and I want to see AF's draft analysis.

Thanks to all, and welcome.
AustinFan
The one thing I do like about the Igglephan software is the ability to have "sub-strings" and to cruise down them as discussion branches, rather than one long string where you can have various sub-topics intermixed and go crazy trying to follow the discussion. But I can understand that might be more complex to set up.
Eyrie
I agree with that but I'm happy with this. It's the same layout I'm used to on the tropical fish board I post on anyway.
wizardsandwars
I agree about the sub strings thing, I like them too.

Unfortunatly, none of the up to date forum software vendors offer that anymore. Going back the the DC Forums that igglephans uses is a possiblity, but unforutnatly, that software isn't nearly as easy to manage, and it doesn't have alot of the really important features I like to see, such as subscribing to email notifications when someone posts in a thread you're watching.

This one has all the bells and whistles.
Eyrie
Then it's settled - we keep this one.
wizardsandwars
There are a few more choices out there. I'm familiar with most of them though, and this one is the best so far. Plus I'm proficient in php, the language that it was written in, so minor changes shouldn't be a problem. Unless someone else has a better idea, i'm strongly in support of using this one.
JaxEagle
QUOTE(Arlingtonfan @ Apr 23 2004, 12:43 PM)
The one thing I do like about the Igglephan software is the ability to have "sub-strings" and to cruise down them as discussion branches, rather than one long string where you can have various sub-topics intermixed and go crazy trying to follow the discussion. But I can understand that might be more complex to set up.

I totally agree with this post, but if it is a huge negative for managing the board, then maybe we can live without it. The ability to see how many new posts since your last post and see what post a certain other post was in response to is a plus of the igglephans board software... i'll miss that... the way this one works it seems to be a hassle if the thread gets really long, whereas it wasn't a hassle with the other board because you had several ways of parsing through the posts quickly (post number or branch routing)
D Rock
QUOTE(JaxEagle @ Apr 23 2004, 06:46 PM)
QUOTE(Arlingtonfan @ Apr 23 2004, 12:43 PM)
The one thing I do like about the Igglephan software is the ability to have "sub-strings" and to cruise down them as discussion branches, rather than one long string where you can have various sub-topics intermixed and go crazy trying to follow the discussion.  But I can understand that might be more complex to set up.

I totally agree with this post, but if it is a huge negative for managing the board, then maybe we can live without it. The ability to see how many new posts since your last post and see what post a certain other post was in response to is a plus of the igglephans board software... i'll miss that... the way this one works it seems to be a hassle if the thread gets really long, whereas it wasn't a hassle with the other board because you had several ways of parsing through the posts quickly (post number or branch routing)

I also agree, but am willing to deal with what makes most sense for all concerned.

I have seen long threads presented with this format become rather unruly.
wizardsandwars
Well, the main reason all of various forum vendors wen to this type of format is because it helps a post saty 'on topic' and linear. With the Igglephans sofrware, it was definatly very very easy to get off on a tangent.

Not that I won't miss it, it's jsut that this format has some positives too. Also, there is a great 'show posts since my last visit' feature that works pretty cool. Check it out when you get the chance.
Eyrie
QUOTE(D Rock @ Apr 23 2004, 08:03 PM)
I have seen long threads presented with this format become rather unruly.

LOL - on the tropical fish board there is a thread in General Discussion (non-fish topics) with almost 5500 posts and is 366 pages long. Been running since Oct 03. Unsurprisingly it's called "The last one to post in this thread is the winner".

Even less surprisingly I've never posted in their General Discussion area.
AustinFan
Question: Is there a way to have titles for replies. Or does that require a whole different structure? It would be nice to compress a string to titles to quickly move to a specific reply.
wizardsandwars
Not with the standard software.

There may be an 'mod' or 'hack' out there that enables that, but I'm not sure I'll have time soon to look, or if I found something to install it.

There are, however, a ton of different ways to view the various posts here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.