Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proxy servers Help
Eagles Forum > Off Topic Forums > Pissing in the Wind
Bez
I have decided that its time to cover my static IP. I have doen some reading up on the proxy server stuff to some degree. I know that some of them are so abused that they are banned from alot of places. I have been to too many places where my IP is posted. Makes me nervous.Peace BEz
Donnie Mac
QUOTE(Bez @ Aug 22 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]81060[/snapback]

I have decided that its time to cover my static IP. I have doen some reading up on the proxy server stuff to some degree. I know that some of them are so abused that they are banned from alot of places. I have been to too many places where my IP is posted. Makes me nervous.Peace BEz

Interesting that you mention that when we're banning proxy servers from seeing, much less reading, the board.
xsv

Interesting that you mention that when we're banning proxy servers from seeing, much less reading, the board.

To elaborate on that a bit, I've implemented some code into the forum that recognizes when a proxy server is being used, and identifies the underlying IP address. That information is still provided every time you visit any website, it's just that not many people use it.

In other words, at least on this website, you're still not hiding your IP address, you're just giving us two, one is yours, and one is the proxy servers.
Bez
QUOTE(Donnie Mac @ Aug 22 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]81065[/snapback]

You can always turn off a proxy to vist sanctuaries like this. But not all places are the same .I know of some that bait members and then send them to a section called the thunderdome where they are picked to pieces mercilessly and then tossed.There is a gun owners section in the place too.They kept flashing my IP at me. I just got the hello out of there.I have had it done to me at other places as well.The news forums like real cities run by Prospero have really loose registration conditions. They make all thier money from adverts and cant afford to be too picky.Its a friggin zoo at most of the locations. I have seen mods play with forums like a puppet master.I just want some backup for the less friendly places I visit . I dont tend to get roudy unless provoked . I have never been mistreated here and even if I was this is sanctuary to me I would remain civil. I will not abuse that privledge. cool.gif Thanks for having me . Peace BEz
xsv
You're more than welcome to use a proxy. I use a proxy at work all the time, so that there are no cookies on my employer owned PC, and so that my temp files only show a generic IP address for all the sites I've been to.

I only meant to make the point that even though you may use a proxy when you visit here, we still know what your real IP address is. I did this so that users that are banned will still be banned even if they use a proxy.
Donnie Mac
I guess I need to delete my incorrect post from earlier in this thread then. sad.gif
xsv
It's my fault I didn't explain it wel enough the first time.

Sorry, bud.

QUOTE(Donnie Mac @ Aug 23 2006, 12:54 AM) [snapback]81139[/snapback]

I guess I need to delete my incorrect post from earlier in this thread then. sad.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.