IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Projecting the roster, Based on who we currently have
Eyrie
post Mar 3 2018, 06:36 AM
Post #1

Illegal Alien

Group: Members

I've deliberately ignored guys from the practice squad as they're unlikely to contribute but it does give us an idea of where we stand prior to free agency and the draft.

2 QB Wentz, Foles
4 RB Ajayi, Clement, Smallwood, Barner
3 TE Ertz, Celek, ???
6 WR Jeffrey, Smith, Agholor, Hollins, Gibson, Johnson
4 OT Peters, Johnson, Vaitai, Beatty
4 G Wizniewski, Brooks, Seumalo, Warmack
1 C Kelce

5 DE Graham, Curry, Long, Barnett, Means
5 DT Cox, Jernigyn, Vaeao, Qualls, ???
6 LB Hicks, Kendricks, Ellerbe, Goode, Grugier-Hill, Gerry
5 CB Darby, Mills, Jones, Douglas, ???
5 S Jenkins, McLeod, Watkins, Maragos, ???

3 ST Elliott, Lovato, ???

That's 24 on offense, 26 on defence and 3 STs. I have five vacancies right now - TE, DT, CB, S and P.

The problem then arises with potential cap moves that could see Foles, Celek, Smith, Curry and Kendricks leaving simply to get us under the cap without adding anyone. And we don't have a lot of high draft picks to fill the holes. Roseman will need to be creative with restructuring existing deals as well.

So we have a strong core but need to make the right moves. Keeping Bradham and Burton is very important, and Graham shouldn't be expensive as the third S.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
One
post Mar 3 2018, 07:08 AM
Post #2

Zero retired

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 3 2018, 06:36 AM) *
That's 24 on offense, 26 on defence and 3 STs. I have five vacancies right now - TE, DT, CB, S and P.

If I'm not mistaken they have a punter on the roster ... Johnston. I read someplace that they seem to like him. Ohio State I think.

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Mar 3 2018, 11:17 AM
Post #3

Veteran

QUOTE (One @ Mar 3 2018, 07:08 AM) *
If I'm not mistaken they have a punter on the roster ... Johnston. I read someplace that they seem to like him. Ohio State I think.

I think that Howie will accumulate some more picks one way or another. Vinny and Kendricks might get traded. I hate to see them go.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Mar 3 2018, 11:53 AM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

I think One is correct about Johnston at Punter.

Moving Curry would take a DeMarco Murray type of deal. Howie's done it but I'm betting against it. I think the talk is just leverage to get Curry to renegotiate a more reasonable deal. I don't think it will happen and it could cost the Eagles C. Long. The dead $ would keep the Eagles from cutting Curry.

I heard that the current $9 mil over the cap includes more than the top 51 players. The cap is based on the top 51 so they are in slightly less bad shape than the $9 mil suggests.

So they probably don't need to move Curry if they move Foles, Kendricks, T Smith, B Celek, maybe C Long. That's probably more than $20mil in cap after replacing their roster spots with rookies.

However they also have extensions to address--B Graham, J Elliott, N Agholor, Hicks, R Darby, Ajayi and resigning of N Bradham.

I'd expect some of them to wait until mid season or even after next season. For example, if the eagles draft a feature RB in round 2 (N Foles pick), they may not resign Ajayi for 2019. They may just sign a less expensive veteran big back like L Blount. They'll have to make room for CW's $20+mil cap hit in 2019 and I think the only big cap hit that will likely come off is J Peters.

Once CW gets paid this run is over. They'll have to rebuild with draft picks.

I've deliberately ignored guys from the practice squad as they're unlikely to contribute but it does give us an idea of where we stand prior to free agency and the draft.

2 QB Wentz, Foles
3 TE Ertz, Celek, ???
1 C Kelce

The problem then arises with potential cap moves that could see Foles, Celek, Smith, Curry and Kendricks leaving simply to get us under the cap without adding anyone. And we don't have a lot of high draft picks to fill the holes. Roseman will need to be creative with restructuring existing deals as well.

So we have a strong core but need to make the right moves. Keeping Bradham and Burton is very important, and Graham shouldn't be expensive as the third S.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Mar 3 2018, 12:33 PM
Post #5

Veteran

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 3 2018, 11:53 AM) *
I think One is correct about Johnston at Punter.

Moving Curry would take a DeMarco Murray type of deal. Howie's done it but I'm betting against it. I think the talk is just leverage to get Curry to renegotiate a more reasonable deal. I don't think it will happen and it could cost the Eagles C. Long. The dead $ would keep the Eagles from cutting Curry.

I heard that the current $9 mil over the cap includes more than the top 51 players. The cap is based on the top 51 so they are in slightly less bad shape than the $9 mil suggests.

So they probably don't need to move Curry if they move Foles, Kendricks, T Smith, B Celek, maybe C Long. That's probably more than $20mil in cap after replacing their roster spots with rookies.

However they also have extensions to address--B Graham, J Elliott, N Agholor, Hicks, R Darby, Ajayi and resigning of N Bradham.

I'd expect some of them to wait until mid season or even after next season. For example, if the eagles draft a feature RB in round 2 (N Foles pick), they may not resign Ajayi for 2019. They may just sign a less expensive veteran big back like L Blount. They'll have to make room for CW's $20+mil cap hit in 2019 and I think the only big cap hit that will likely come off is J Peters.

Once CW gets paid this run is over. They'll have to rebuild with draft picks.

I think that Ajayi moves on after this season. They can't commit to him with those knee problems. Why on earth would they keep Beatty? He's horrible. Hopefully a rookie takes his spot or maybe Gordon comes along. They had another rookie who buried some people in the preseason (Polish kid?) who was on the PC for awhile too.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Mar 3 2018, 01:51 PM
Post #6

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (One @ Mar 3 2018, 12:08 PM) *

I'm not including unproven players at this stage, even when the team's PR fluff claims they really like someone. Those guys could earn their spot on the team or never be heard of again except when cut.

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Mar 3 2018, 05:33 PM) *
I think that Ajayi moves on after this season. They can't commit to him with those knee problems. Why on earth would they keep Beatty? He's horrible. Hopefully a rookie takes his spot or maybe Gordon comes along. They had another rookie who buried some people in the preseason (Polish kid?) who was on the PC for awhile too.

Beatty is at this stage a mediocre veteran who probably won't be here for 2018, but he's currently on the roster which is why I included him. For next season I expect him to be replaced by either a T or C, depending on whether Seumalo is viewed as a G/C or G/T. And Seumalo needs to play better this year when called on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Mar 3 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

2 QB Wentz, Foles
3 TE Ertz, Celek, ???
1 C Kelce

Aren't Ellerbe and Watkins free agents? I thought I heard they didn't make an offer to Watkins.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Mar 3 2018, 04:30 PM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

Most people I've heard say Seumalo is a Center. I wonder if he'll be active most weeks next year when both Peters and Big-V are active.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 3 2018, 01:51 PM) *
I'm not including unproven players at this stage, even when the team's PR fluff claims they really like someone. Those guys could earn their spot on the team or never be heard of again except when cut.

Beatty is at this stage a mediocre veteran who probably won't be here for 2018, but he's currently on the roster which is why I included him. For next season I expect him to be replaced by either a T or C, depending on whether Seumalo is viewed as a G/C or G/T. And Seumalo needs to play better this year when called on.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Mar 3 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #9

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 3 2018, 08:02 PM) *
Aren't Ellerbe and Watkins free agents? I thought I heard they didn't make an offer to Watkins.

If so, then we have two more holes to fill.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Mar 3 2018, 10:29 PM
Post #10

Hall of Famer

One of those spots is for injured LB Hicks.

Backup Safety will be an interesting one to watch. I expect them to draft a S in the mid rounds. They'll still need one veteran.

Watkins was a 3rd or 4th round pick at CB but also learned Safety as well. I hope R Douglas learns S like Watkins did. Douglas is a natural ball hawk. I'd rather have him guarding a Gronk than a true Safety such as Corey Graham.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 3 2018, 06:07 PM) *
If so, then we have two more holes to fill.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Mar 4 2018, 05:36 AM
Post #11

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 4 2018, 03:29 AM) *
One of those spots is for injured LB Hicks.

Backup Safety will be an interesting one to watch. I expect them to draft a S in the mid rounds. They'll still need one veteran.

Watkins was a 3rd or 4th round pick at CB but also learned Safety as well. I hope R Douglas learns S like Watkins did. Douglas is a natural ball hawk. I'd rather have him guarding a Gronk than a true Safety such as Corey Graham.

I have Hicks in my 53, although that is with fingers crossed as the guy is cursed.

I'm quietly optimistic that Graham will be back at S, so if we move Douglas there then we can draft a nickel CB to go with Jones, Darby and Mills.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Mar 4 2018, 02:39 PM
Post #12

Hall of Famer

Okay I see your point.

If R Douglass is wiling to be a CB/S like J Watkins is currently, then the Eagles could draft a developmental slot CB in the middle rounds.

B Boykin was a 4th rounder in that successful 2012 draft who played slot CB and ST gunner quite well. Unfortunately he seemed to have attitude problems.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 4 2018, 05:36 AM) *
I have Hicks in my 53, although that is with fingers crossed as the guy is cursed.

I'm quietly optimistic that Graham will be back at S, so if we move Douglas there then we can draft a nickel CB to go with Jones, Darby and Mills.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Mar 4 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #13

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Mar 4 2018, 07:39 PM) *
Okay I see your point.

If R Douglass is wiling to be a CB/S like J Watkins is currently, then the Eagles could draft a developmental slot CB in the middle rounds.

B Boykin was a 4th rounder in that successful 2012 draft who played slot CB and ST gunner quite well. Unfortunately he seemed to have attitude problems.

Boykin played well for us, then left for the Steelers where he did nothing for a year and may then have gone out of the league. Quite a fall from grace.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eagle2720
post Mar 5 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #14

Veteran

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 4 2018, 07:49 PM) *
Boykin played well for us, then left for the Steelers where he did nothing for a year and may then have gone out of the league. Quite a fall from grace.

He was never used correctly by Chip and thus left, and is still on the Ravens, however he was injured this year.

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 04:15 AM