IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
- GroundedBird   Biggest need for 2018-2019 Season   Feb 28 2018, 09:28 AM
- - eagle60   QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Feb 28 2018, 09:28 ...   Feb 28 2018, 11:39 AM
- - eagle60   QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Feb 28 2018, 09:28 ...   Feb 28 2018, 11:39 AM
- - Eyrie   LB depends on whether we keep Bradham or trade Ken...   Feb 28 2018, 02:22 PM
|- - eagle60   QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 28 2018, 02:22 PM) LB ...   Feb 28 2018, 02:48 PM
|- - Joegrane   I hear you but the Safety that looked the worst ha...   Feb 28 2018, 03:15 PM
|- - eagle60   QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 28 2018, 03:15 PM) ...   Feb 28 2018, 03:38 PM
|- - One   QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 28 2018, 03:38 PM) I...   Feb 28 2018, 03:58 PM
- - Eyrie   The correct formula is BPA at a position of need. ...   Feb 28 2018, 06:32 PM
- - eagle60   QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 28 2018, 06:32 PM) The...   Feb 28 2018, 06:49 PM
- - eagle60   QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 28 2018, 06:32 PM) The...   Feb 28 2018, 06:49 PM
|- - Joegrane   You don't think a LB selected at 32 could be t...   Feb 28 2018, 07:59 PM
|- - eagle60   QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 28 2018, 07:59 PM) ...   Feb 28 2018, 08:27 PM
|- - eagle60   QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 28 2018, 07:59 PM) ...   Feb 28 2018, 08:27 PM
- - nephillymike   QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 28 2018, 06:32 PM) The...   Feb 28 2018, 07:44 PM
- - One   QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 28 2018, 07:44 ...   Feb 28 2018, 07:59 PM
|- - nephillymike   QUOTE (One @ Feb 28 2018, 07:59 PM) If th...   Feb 28 2018, 08:20 PM
||- - One   QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 28 2018, 08:20 ...   Feb 28 2018, 09:26 PM
|- - Eyrie   QUOTE (One @ Mar 1 2018, 12:59 AM) If the...   Mar 1 2018, 03:54 AM
- - Eyrie   QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 1 2018, 12:44 A...   Mar 1 2018, 03:49 AM
> Biggest need for 2018-2019 Season
Eyrie
post Feb 28 2018, 06:32 PM
Post #1

Illegal Alien

Group: Members

The correct formula is BPA at a position of need.

We don't need a QB (Wentz), DT (Cox, Jernigan), S (Jenkins, McLeod), RB (Ajayi, Clement), TE (Ertz), or OL (Peters/Vaitai, Wizniewski, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson) in round one. Later rounds would be fine.

We'd need a DE if Curry is traded and Long isn't back, LB if Bradham or Kendricks goes, CB if we're not convinced and WR if Smith is cut.

So we're not locked into just one position.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
eagle60
post Feb 28 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #2

Veteran

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 28 2018, 06:32 PM) *

We don't need a QB (Wentz), DT (Cox, Jernigan), S (Jenkins, McLeod), RB (Ajayi, Clement), TE (Ertz), or OL (Peters/Vaitai, Wizniewski, Kelce, Brooks, Johnson) in round one. Later rounds would be fine.

We'd need a DE if Curry is traded and Long isn't back, LB if Bradham or Kendricks goes, CB if we're not convinced and WR if Smith is cut.

That's how you get into trouble. If all of our starters are coming back how do you define position of need? At 32 you're not drafting a guy who can start for you anyway in almost all cases. We drafted Agholor to start and it took him until year 3 to be decent.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 28 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #3

Veteran

That's how you get into trouble. If all of our starters are coming back how do you define position of need? At 32 you're not drafting a guy who can start for you anyway in almost all cases. We drafted Agholor to start and it took him until year 3 to be decent.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 28 2018, 07:44 PM
Post #4

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

I am a BPAPON advocate but I eliminate a lot fewer positions than Eyrie. I eliminate QB and maybe but probably not DL. All else is fair game.

One facet of PON is that, to be successful, a draft pick has to have opportunity to play. No QB will play with Wentz here, sans injury. However, at every other spot, you can draft a guy who after one year could be a significant contributor and blossom into a starter. Even DT, DE, you can get a guy who plays 40-50% of the snaps. Not so with QB. Same at S, a guy could play 30% of the snaps with how we use our DB.

In most years you say you plug gaps with FA. With our cap, we can't afford to be players in FA.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Feb 28 2018, 07:59 PM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

You don't think a LB selected at 32 could be the starting #3 LB for base defense--Kendrick's replacement? I think that LB would be on the field for 30% of the snaps. They had former 7th rounder Joe Walker in that role for a while after the injury to Hicks.

Jordan Matthews, a high 2nd rounder, was productive as a rookie slot WR. Officially that is not a starter but an active role.

If they select a RB at 32, I assume Smallwood or Pumphrey would get cut and the rookie would assume Smallwood's role.

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 28 2018, 06:49 PM) *

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 28 2018, 07:59 PM
Post #6

Zero retired

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 28 2018, 07:44 PM) *
I am a BPAPON advocate but I eliminate a lot fewer positions than Eyrie. I eliminate QB and maybe but probably not DL. All else is fair game.

One facet of PON is that, to be successful, a draft pick has to have opportunity to play. No QB will play with Wentz here, sans injury. However, at every other spot, you can draft a guy who after one year could be a significant contributor and blossom into a starter. Even DT, DE, you can get a guy who plays 40-50% of the snaps. Not so with QB. Same at S, a guy could play 30% of the snaps with how we use our DB.

In most years you say you plug gaps with FA. With our cap, we can't afford to be players in FA.

If the BPA is QB there will be good offers to gain value in a trade out. And let's not forget that Dallas drafted Aikman then spent a first rounder on Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft and traded him to N.O. for a one and a three the following year and then a two the next year. QBs have insane value, witness some of the trades the Eagles have made (Feeley, Kolb, Bradford, Foles). If a QB is the BPA you either trade out or draft him for future value.

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 28 2018, 08:20 PM
Post #7

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

QUOTE (One @ Feb 28 2018, 07:59 PM) *
If the BPA is QB there will be good offers to gain value in a trade out. And let's not forget that Dallas drafted Aikman then spent a first rounder on Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft and traded him to N.O. for a one and a three the following year and then a two the next year. QBs have insane value, witness some of the trades the Eagles have made (Feeley, Kolb, Bradford, Foles). If a QB is the BPA you either trade out or draft him for future value.

Good point.

What are you on the night shift these days of retirement?

The old guy Z was tucked in by 8:00.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 28 2018, 08:27 PM
Post #8

Veteran

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 28 2018, 07:59 PM) *
You don't think a LB selected at 32 could be the starting #3 LB for base defense--Kendrick's replacement? I think that LB would be on the field for 30% of the snaps. They had former 7th rounder Joe Walker in that role for a while after the injury to Hicks.

Jordan Matthews, a high 2nd rounder, was productive as a rookie slot WR. Officially that is not a starter but an active role.

If they select a RB at 32, I assume Smallwood or Pumphrey would get cut and the rookie would assume Smallwood's role.

Probably not. It didn't work out very well at 15 the last time that we drafted for need there (Marcus Smith). Johnson and Cox are the only 2 first rounders that I can think of in the last decade that started from day 1 and Johnson went #4. Even Aggie and Graham took 3 years to develop. Then you have The Fireman.....

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 28 2018, 08:27 PM
Post #9

Veteran

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 28 2018, 07:59 PM) *

Probably not. It didn't work out very well at 15 the last time that we drafted for need there (Marcus Smith). Johnson and Cox are the only 2 first rounders that I can think of in the last decade that started from day 1 and Johnson went #4. Even Aggie and Graham took 3 years to develop. Then you have The Fireman.....I did forget The Messiah though!!

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 28 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #10

Zero retired

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 28 2018, 08:20 PM) *
Good point.

What are you on the night shift these days of retirement?

The old guy Z was tucked in by 8:00.
laugh.gif

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Mar 1 2018, 03:49 AM
Post #11

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 1 2018, 12:44 AM) *

Good logical explanation.

But I'd add that what we do this year has to take into account that we only have one pick in the first three rounds so #32 has to be a contributor (subject to the usual caveats about blown picks). The positions I listed are those where I see the rookie getting the most game time compared to other positions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Mar 1 2018, 03:54 AM
Post #12

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (One @ Mar 1 2018, 12:59 AM) *

I don't think there is such a thing as BPA at #32 as there are too many players of equivalent quality available. It's not like we're picking at #2.

That means you're looking at BPAPON, and if some other team sees a player they want then I'm open to trading - say for a mid second and mid third, with us throwing in a fifth or sixth as a sweetener.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2018 - 04:46 AM