IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not a numbers guy
One
post Feb 23 2018, 11:10 AM
Post #1

Zero retired

Group: Members

I read through this and it seems pretty reasonable. I'm sure there are a couple of moves that will attract debate, especially with Foles. And, I like his draft reasoning for potentially trading him ... the opposite of kicking the can.
Also: another thing to keep in mind here is that the Eagles will be tight on cap space in years to come, not just this off season. With that in mind, draft picks are more valuable than ever to this team. They need to find cheap, young talent.

So yes, I would trade Foles for the right offer. Howie Roseman will, too, in my opinion. I think a second-round pick plus something else is the move that will materialize.

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 23 2018, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Veteran

QUOTE (One @ Feb 23 2018, 11:10 AM) *
I read through this and it seems pretty reasonable. I'm sure there are a couple of moves that will attract debate, especially with Foles. And, I like his draft reasoning for potentially trading him ... the opposite of kicking the can.[indent][/indent]

Believe me One every team values draft picks no matter who they are and I'm not talking about for talent reasons either. They are extremely overvalued IMO because of one reason-they are relatively cheap labor. MLB is now going to be in a fight too because teams are now trying to go the young talent route and the player's association is claiming collusion with free agents because the offered contracts are coming down. Personally I think that these owners enjoy making money more than anything else and they are starting to figure things out.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 23 2018, 07:24 PM
Post #3

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 23 2018, 12:30 PM) *
Believe me One every team values draft picks no matter who they are and I'm not talking about for talent reasons either. They are extremely overvalued IMO because of one reason-they are relatively cheap labor. MLB is now going to be in a fight too because teams are now trying to go the young talent route and the player's association is claiming collusion with free agents because the offered contracts are coming down. Personally I think that these owners enjoy making money more than anything else and they are starting to figure things out.

Draft picks smaft picks.

Give me players.

If you want a feel for it, take a 2nd and a 4th. Go each year for ten years and put our 2nd round pick with our 4th round pick and tell me how many of those iterations you trade for Foles as a backup who will likely play two games early and maybe one game when Carson is dinged later in year. His value in those three games to this team that should be in the mix again is more than the overwhelming majority of those combos of picks.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 23 2018, 07:56 PM
Post #4

Veteran

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 23 2018, 07:24 PM) *
Draft picks smaft picks.

Give me players.

If you want a feel for it, take a 2nd and a 4th. Go each year for ten years and put our 2nd round pick with our 4th round pick and tell me how many of those iterations you trade for Foles as a backup who will likely play two games early and maybe one game when Carson is dinged later in year. His value in those three games to this team that should be in the mix again is more than the overwhelming majority of those combos of picks.

True, but is he worth the talent that will most likely walk out the door by keeping him? That 2 and 4 just might be good enough to replace some firepower that we will inevitably lose this year and next and somebody needs to fill their cleats. And you can go ahead and flame me but there is a ton of bad Nick Foles tape out there. A year ago he was wandering around the woods because nobody wanted him. I think the thoughts of other teams backing up the truck loaded with draft picks are a bit premature.

BTW Mike, I agree with you that I would rather have a player over a potential draft pick. But as I pointed out it's always about the money and that's why they are so valuable.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Feb 23 2018, 08:55 PM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

You have to have young, cheap talent in order to be successful and stay under the cap. The Eagles are a great example of that. They have a QB who should be chewing up $20+ mil in cap space but isn't because he's on his rookie contract.

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 23 2018, 07:56 PM) *
True, but is he worth the talent that will most likely walk out the door by keeping him? That 2 and 4 just might be good enough to replace some firepower that we will inevitably lose this year and next and somebody needs to fill their cleats. And you can go ahead and flame me but there is a ton of bad Nick Foles tape out there. A year ago he was wandering around the woods because nobody wanted him. I think the thoughts of other teams backing up the truck loaded with draft picks are a bit premature.

BTW Mike, I agree with you that I would rather have a player over a potential draft pick. But as I pointed out it's always about the money and that's why they are so valuable.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Feb 24 2018, 06:07 AM
Post #6

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 24 2018, 12:24 AM) *
Draft picks smaft picks.

Give me players.

You've been banging this drum for years biggrin.gif

I'd be inclined to agree with you about trading late round picks for proven players to do a job for a year or two but I'd keep picks in the first three rounds for drafting future stars as the upside of getting the right player outweighs the downside of a draft bust.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 24 2018, 06:27 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 24 2018, 06:07 AM) *
You've been banging this drum for years biggrin.gif

I'd be inclined to agree with you about trading late round picks for proven players to do a job for a year or two but I'd keep picks in the first three rounds for drafting future stars as the upside of getting the right player outweighs the downside of a draft bust.

I lost my other drum , as with Doug, there is no need for a Run the Ball Andy rant!

A guy has to have some meaning in life! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 24 2018, 08:16 AM
Post #8

Veteran

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 24 2018, 06:27 AM) *
I lost my other drum , as with Doug, there is no need for a Run the Ball Andy rant!

Free agency is for filling holes for the most part and the draft is for 2nd year players to play. I don't think that you can rely on rooks outside of the first 5-10 to start for you.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 24 2018, 08:16 AM
Post #9

Veteran

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 24 2018, 06:27 AM) *

Free agency is for filling holes for the most part and the draft is for 2nd year players to play. I don't think that you can rely on rooks outside of the first 5-10 to start for you.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Feb 24 2018, 02:35 PM
Post #10

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 24 2018, 11:27 AM) *

Roseman traded for Darby and Ajayi. And you still want more? ohmy.gif

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 24 2018, 04:06 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 24 2018, 02:35 PM) *
Roseman traded for Darby and Ajayi. And you still want more? ohmy.gif

True.

During Howie's hiatus, he visited and we chatted about a few things:

1. Running the ball, and the positive effect it would have on the play action passing game and the improvement in the line's ability to protect.

2. Taking advantage of the inflated market value of draft picks and trading them for players.

3. Incorporating the "No One Likes Us" Song into team settings.

It went well.

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2018 - 05:08 AM