IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> OC interviews today
The Franchise
post Feb 19 2018, 08:03 PM
Post #1

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

QUOTE (One @ Feb 19 2018, 03:47 PM) *
Doug is interviewing both Duce and Groh for OC today. Here ...

We won our first Super Bowl largely through unconventional means. Who cares about the status quo? Duce can be the run coordinator, and Groh the pass coordinator. I imagine they work well, and there's no reason yet to think either would have ego issues with that.

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Rick
post Feb 19 2018, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 19 2018, 08:03 PM) *
We won our first Super Bowl largely through unconventional means. Who cares about the status quo? Duce can be the run coordinator, and Groh the pass coordinator. I imagine they work well, and there's no reason yet to think either would have ego issues with that.

Exactly. They won because of the unconventional things Dougie P was willing to do. Shaking up the NFL!!!!

+Quote Post
mcnabbulous
post Feb 20 2018, 09:26 AM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Rick @ Feb 19 2018, 07:03 PM) *
Exactly. They won because of the unconventional things Dougie P was willing to do. Shaking up the NFL!!!!

Finally people are getting on board. I've only been clamoring for this for a decade.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 20 2018, 11:14 AM
Post #4

Veteran

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 20 2018, 09:26 AM) *
Finally people are getting on board. I've only been clamoring for this for a decade.

We all agree that Doug was a great play caller last season. Isn't it amazing how smart you get when guys actually catch the ball??? Let's not make Doug out to be a genius too fast though. I thought from the beginning that his biggest achievement was assembling a great coaching staff. Don't forget that just last fall people were talking about Schwartz taking Doug's place. My point is that I think the biggest strength that Doug has is surrounding himself with good people that he can trust to carry out what he wants done. I think that losing Reich and Flip might be a much bigger loss than people are thinking.

+Quote Post
mcnabbulous
post Feb 20 2018, 11:27 AM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 20 2018, 10:14 AM) *
My point is that I think the biggest strength that Doug has is surrounding himself with good people that he can trust to carry out what he wants done. I think that losing Reich and Flip might be a much bigger loss than people are thinking.

People that tend to do this don't usually stop doing it. Doug will be alright.

Doug's biggest strength is that he bucks conventional NFL football wisdom. He listens to smarter people as it relates to probabilities and risk/reward. The NFL is filled with guys that are afraid to make mistakes.

He does what Chip was supposed to do.

In many ways, Howie is the same way. He identified market opportunities and value in trading for veterans. We likely don't win that title without the acquisitions of guys like Darby and Ajayi. No one wheels and deals like Howie.

As much as people mocked Lurie for his gold standard comments, we've really found a sustainable model for consistent success over a 20 year span. Which is not easy at all.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 20 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #6

Veteran

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 20 2018, 11:27 AM) *
People that tend to do this don't usually stop doing it. Doug will be alright.

Doug's biggest strength is that he bucks conventional NFL football wisdom. He listens to smarter people as it relates to probabilities and risk/reward. The NFL is filled with guys that are afraid to make mistakes.

He does what Chip was supposed to do.

In many ways, Howie is the same way. He identified market opportunities and value in trading for veterans. We likely don't win that title without the acquisitions of guys like Darby and Ajayi. No one wheels and deals like Howie.

As much as people mocked Lurie for his gold standard comments, we've really found a sustainable model for consistent success over a 20 year span. Which is not easy at all.

I admit that I didn't want anything to do with Howie. I thought that he was the reason the whole front office was screwed up. Prospected coaches didn't want anything to do with us. We were a mess. Man was I wrong!! Nobody can argue the job that he did this year. He was amazing. Nuff said there.

Groh got the job, but Duce got the title (and a nice raise I would imagine). He is now Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs.

+Quote Post
Birdwatcher
post Feb 20 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 20 2018, 05:52 PM) *
I admit that I didn't want anything to do with Howie. I thought that he was the reason the whole front office was screwed up. Prospected coaches didn't want anything to do with us. We were a mess. Man was I wrong!! Nobody can argue the job that he did this year. He was amazing. Nuff said there.

Groh got the job, but Duce got the title (and a nice raise I would imagine). He is now Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs.

Not for nothing, his demotion had to have something to do with it, because since he came back he has been on a roll. It is a good example of how failure, when used as a learning tool, can make you better in the long run. I suspect he did a whole lot of soul searching and studied what he did that was wrong in the first place. With Chip as an example of exactly not how to handle an NFL roster, he seems to have found a very un-Chip approach that is reaping serious benefits for all of us. They built a team that was inclusive and supportive of each other, with with a coach who was brilliant, yet totally humble about it, which made him a stronger leader. People will usually follow someone who walks the walk, rather than tells them how great he is...we could all learn a lesson from Doug in that respect.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 20 2018, 07:03 PM
Post #8

Veteran

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Feb 20 2018, 06:08 PM) *
Not for nothing, his demotion had to have something to do with it, because since he came back he has been on a roll. It is a good example of how failure, when used as a learning tool, can make you better in the long run. I suspect he did a whole lot of soul searching and studied what he did that was wrong in the first place. With Chip as an example of exactly not how to handle an NFL roster, he seems to have found a very un-Chip approach that is reaping serious benefits for all of us. They built a team that was inclusive and supportive of each other, with with a coach who was brilliant, yet totally humble about it, which made him a stronger leader. People will usually follow someone who walks the walk, rather than tells them how great he is...we could all learn a lesson from Doug in that respect.

So do you look at Howie as a "football guy" now??? That's tough to answer from the outside.

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 20 2018, 07:10 PM
Post #9

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Feb 20 2018, 07:08 PM) *

Chip was the 'football guy,' and Howie is the skinny nerd who never even played touch football. One received a humiliating and deserving permanent exit from the league, and the other just got Philly their first SB.

Knowing the game isn't that hard. Gaining access to NFL-level positions without having a playing career IS hard. There's likely thousands of geeks out there who would make better coaches/execs than people currently employed, but lack of pedigree matters too. Oh well, Howie has earned his praise.

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 20 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #10

Veteran

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 20 2018, 07:10 PM) *
Chip was the 'football guy,' and Howie is the skinny nerd who never even played touch football. One received a humiliating and deserving permanent exit from the league, and the other just got Philly their first SB.

Knowing the game isn't that hard. Gaining access to NFL-level positions without having a playing career IS hard. There's likely thousands of geeks out there who would make better coaches/execs than people currently employed, but lack of pedigree matters too. Oh well, Howie has earned his praise.

How much of this was Howie and how much of it was Douglas we will never know. I just wish that we could keep this FO together forever but I know that will never happen. I know this about Howie, he can make it happen. I'm assuming Douglas is feeding him his information and he's acting on it. I think that Douglas will be a GM pretty soon too but we have him for another year at least. He could be gone before our next draft though.

+Quote Post
Birdwatcher
post Feb 20 2018, 07:51 PM
Post #11

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 20 2018, 07:03 PM) *
So do you look at Howie as a "football guy" now??? That's tough to answer from the outside.

NO, but I do think he has surrounded himself with better 'football' guys than he did in the past. Figuring out who they were and bringing them on board was his major accomplishment. He also found coaches who could inspire players to excel, look at how much Algholor improved this year. He always had the talent, it was a confidence problem, and Doug found a way help him get it back. No small feat mind you, how many talented guys come into the league and crash and burn because they can't handle the mental aspect? Considering NA was already in that process, his rebound is that much more impressive.

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 20 2018, 07:54 PM
Post #12

Zero retired

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 20 2018, 07:47 PM) *
How much of this was Howie and how much of it was Douglas we will never know. I just wish that we could keep this FO together forever but I know that will never happen. I know this about Howie, he can make it happen. I'm assuming Douglas is feeding him his information and he's acting on it. I think that Douglas will be a GM pretty soon too but we have him for another year at least. He could be gone before our next draft though.
Exactly. Howie knows how and Douglas knows who. Put the two together and we get LII.

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st June 2018 - 01:51 AM