IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> What do you need in return to trade Foles, Both Pre Knowledge or Carson's health and post knowledge
nephillymike
post Feb 17 2018, 07:00 AM
Post #1

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

Group: Members

From what most are saying, we likely won't know of Wentz ability to get back to his old form until after training camp begins.

So, let's say August 1st is the date we know if he will be ready to be the old Wentz for the opener.

What would you need in return to trade Foles before Aug 1st and what would you need after August 1st?

Give me the answer in the round of the draft picks you would take. For this exercise, assume any significant starters we accept as part of the trade are worth fourth round picks (like Ajayi, Darby)

For me, before August 1st, I need a 1st and a 4th (or significant starter) to take that risk.

After August 1st, I need a 2nd and 5th or better, as Wentz style of play still leaves potential injury down the line.

Anyone?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 17 2018, 07:17 AM
Post #2

Zero retired

I said a #2 and a potential starter in another response, that's before 8/1. Before 8/1 would have to be picks for this draft, after 8/1 means the other team is more desperate and the price goes up to a #1 and a player.

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Feb 17 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

The guy only has one year remaining on his contract, although it is team friendly. They'd have to be able to do an extension at the time of the trade. You won't get as much for a 1 year rental.

Teams know the Eagles have an elite O Line. He is not going to perform as well behind an average O Line. He does not have the mobility to do so. There is film of 2014 behind the patchwork Eagles O Line. He was brave in the pocket but battered and then injured.

Teams know he'll want to get a starting job. They know the Eagles are going to accommodate him.

Teams also know that the Eagles need to create cap space.

All of that will keep the Eagles from getting max compensation.

I'd settle for a (mid) 2nd from the Cardinals and I'd even throw in a 4th or 5th rounder. I want the cap space and a 2nd day pick. So I'd trade him before this year's draft.

If after June 1st I'd be looking for a 2019 2nd and a solid backup LB.

I've heard mixed views from sports writers about the timing of the trade.

One says the Eagles get more cap relief if they do the deal before June 1. However OTC says they get more cap relief if they wait until after Jn 1-- $7 mil
https://overthecap.com/player/nick-foles/773/ change the 2018 drop down list to "trade post Jn 1"

Another points out that the Eagles owe Nick several mill$ in roster bonus or similar some time in the Spring.

If you trade Nick after the draft you don't get a pick to use this year on a player to replace someone like Kendricks ($7mil if cut after Jn1)

The number of QBs available this off season is greater than usual, that includes the guys in Minn and the deep QB draft.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 17 2018, 07:00 AM) *
From what most are saying, we likely won't know of Wentz ability to get back to his old form until after training camp begins.

So, let's say August 1st is the date we know if he will be ready to be the old Wentz for the opener.

What would you need in return to trade Foles before Aug 1st and what would you need after August 1st?

Give me the answer in the round of the draft picks you would take. For this exercise, assume any significant starters we accept as part of the trade are worth fourth round picks (like Ajayi, Darby)

For me, before August 1st, I need a 1st and a 4th (or significant starter) to take that risk.

After August 1st, I need a 2nd and 5th or better, as Wentz style of play still leaves potential injury down the line.

Anyone?

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 17 2018, 12:26 PM
Post #4

It's interesting that you demand much more after 8/1 even though, at that time, our risk is lower and his use to use is lower compared to if we do the trade then as opposed to the spring when we won't know much about Wentz.

The unfortunate thing about it as I see it is our return for a trade is greatest when it is riskier for us to do it and our return will be lower later in the off season when it will presumably be less risky.

Unless some other team's starter goes down in August and we get a Bradford type windfall...............

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Feb 17 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

a 2018 2nd rounder is worth more than a 2019 2nd.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 17 2018, 12:26 PM) *
It's interesting that you demand much more after 8/1 even though, at that time, our risk is lower and his use to use is lower compared to if we do the trade then as opposed to the spring when we won't know much about Wentz.

The unfortunate thing about it as I see it is our return for a trade is greatest when it is riskier for us to do it and our return will be lower later in the off season when it will presumably be less risky.

Unless some other team's starter goes down in August and we get a Bradford type windfall...............

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 17 2018, 06:05 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 17 2018, 03:58 PM) *
a 2018 2nd rounder is worth more than a 2019 2nd.

Yeah but you said you'd give them back a 4th or 5th which makes thiscyears 2nd less valuable.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Feb 17 2018, 08:25 PM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

I don't know how much more valuable a 2018 #2 is than a 2019 #2

Not too long ago the Eagles traded a mid round pick on the day of the draft. In return they got a pick one round higher in the following year.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 17 2018, 06:05 PM) *
Yeah but you said you'd give them back a 4th or 5th which makes thiscyears 2nd less valuable.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Feb 18 2018, 06:05 AM
Post #8

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Feb 18 2018, 01:25 AM) *
I don't know how much more valuable a 2018 #2 is than a 2019 #2

Not too long ago the Eagles traded a mid round pick on the day of the draft. In return they got a pick one round higher in the following year.

It's always been a rule of thumb that a pick goes up a round if it's for next year. So you'd expect a 2019 #1 to trade away that 2018 #2 and we'd have to give up our 2019 #2 to get a 2018 #3.

There will of course be some variation based on where next year's pick is expected to be - a Browns pick is more valuable than a Patriots pick.

And then there are the surprises, such as the 2019 #2 that we traded when we moved up for Wentz. I don't think anyone anticipated it to be the last pick of the round, which makes the Wentz deal a little cheaper than expected.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2018 - 08:34 PM