IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> The tough question for me, What approach should the front office take this offseason?
nephillymike
post Feb 17 2018, 06:48 AM
Post #1

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

Group: Members

Now that Graham wants a new contract and the trade discussions have started.

What should they do?

Should they make very few cuts, do some short term extensions to convert salary into bonus for a few guys to free up cap space at the expense of long term cap health?

Or do they do what they normally do and think long term and not change their cap philosophy.

Howie has successfully modified Joe Banner's cap rigidity and may look to keep a better product on the field while spending a few more dollars rather than implement an age based cap philosophy.

I think each version of cap philosophy produces different answers for what our approach is for the following players:

Foles
Graham
Curry
B. Brooks
Bradham
Peters

Do you restructure a significantly above market contract like Curry to pay him more money for an extra year for the ability to convert high salary into signing bonus so that you have more cap to keep the team in tact while extending your commitment to him through age 32?

Do you extend Graham by three years to age 32, to keep him with the team and also free up cap?

Do you do the same to a fiscally sound deal for Brooks, thus exposing the team for another year at age 32?

For Peters, any thought of a one year extension to ease the cap burden?

Do you pay Foles his money as a backup?

My cap moves in another thread were based upon no extensions for people before the contracts were up. Graham seems intent on getting one, and in order to produce enough room, I think we are going to have to some of those counterintuitive moves detailed above. Or make deeper cuts to a Foles, Peters or Curry than I had anticipated.

This is getting a little tricky.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
samaroo
post Feb 17 2018, 07:07 AM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Howie has earned my trust to put a team together, and Doug has earned my trust to lead it. I haven't felt the need to scrutinize the roster as I usually do. I'm just reading stuff to read it, mostly. And googling Brady memes.

--------------------
Fly. Eagles fly!

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 17 2018, 07:12 AM
Post #3

Zero retired

I think they need to keep Graham and Peters and find a way to keep Bradham. I'd like to see Peters' contract either restructured or reduced to allow for more cap. Leaders are important but shouldn't that include money? Not being a numbers guy, I'd think there's a way to extend Graham to a relatively cap friendly deal that will acknowledge his contributions and how the team feels about him. I think Curry may be a casualty; post 6/1 trade or cut would save the team $9 mil. Leave Brooks alone, he and Johnson give them the best right in the NFL. Foles depends on the market. With Wentz's situation I wouldn't trade him for less than 2 this year and a young, potential starter ... LB would be ideal.

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 17 2018, 03:14 PM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (samaroo @ Feb 17 2018, 08:07 AM) *
Howie has earned my trust to put a team together, and Doug has earned my trust to lead it. I haven't felt the need to scrutinize the roster as I usually do. I'm just reading stuff to read it, mostly. And googling Brady memes.

Very true. I always take a macro view of the off-season anyway, I honestly have no patience for cap talk and all the bullshit that goes into NFL contracts.

Do whatever you can to keep Graham and Bradham. As much as I love Peters, honestly, why wouldn't you try to trade him now?

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post
Phits
post Feb 17 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

I'm glad it's not my job to make those decisions. I'm still basking in our SB win.

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 1981)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2018 - 12:45 AM