IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> Now that we won a Super Bowl and Have a Franchise QB, What are reasonable Expectations for the Next Decade?
nephillymike
post Feb 11 2018, 11:19 PM
Post #1

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

Group: Members

Since 1999, there have been nine different franchise QBs that won a Super Bowl:

Warner with Rams
Brady with Pats
Roethlisberger with Steelers
Manning with Colts
Manning with Giants
Brees with Saints
Rodgers with Packers
Flacco with Ravens
Wilson with Seahawks

For the tenure of these franchise QBs with these teams after they won their first SB, here is how they did. All but Warners Rams run and Manning's Colts run are still going on.

There have been 68 combined total seasons since 2000, which was the year following the Rams first SB win.

Those teams have made the playoffs 66% of the time and missed them 34%.
They've lost in the WC round 14%
Lost in the Divisional Round 23%
Lost in the conference championship 11%
Lost in the SB 9%
Won the SB 9%

The Pats made the playoffs 14 of 16 and are the best
The Ravens only made the playoffs 1 of 5 and are the worst.

So, what if we were average for a SB winning team and did the following in 10 yrs:

Miss playoffs 3 - 4 times
Make playoffs 6- -7 times
Lose in WC once
Lose in Divisional Round twice
Lose inthe conf championship once
Lose in the SB once
Win the SB once

Is that good enough, on more SB win in the next ten years? If we do this, we are better than the average of anyone excluding the cheating Patriots.

I'd like to win two more, but that may be unrealistic.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 12 2018, 12:11 AM
Post #2

Veteran

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 11 2018, 11:19 PM) *
Since 1999, there have been nine different franchise QBs that won a Super Bowl:

Warner with Rams
Brady with Pats
Manning with Colts
Manning with Giants
Brees with Saints
Rodgers with Packers
Flacco with Ravens
Wilson with Seahawks

For the tenure of these franchise QBs with these teams after they won their first SB, here is how they did. All but Warners Rams run and Manning's Colts run are still going on.

There have been 68 combined total seasons since 2000, which was the year following the Rams first SB win.

Those teams have made the playoffs 66% of the time and missed them 34%.
They've lost in the WC round 14%
Lost in the Divisional Round 23%
Lost in the conference championship 11%
Lost in the SB 9%
Won the SB 9%

The Pats made the playoffs 14 of 16 and are the best
The Ravens only made the playoffs 1 of 5 and are the worst.

So, what if we were average for a SB winning team and did the following in 10 yrs:

Miss playoffs 3 - 4 times
Make playoffs 6- -7 times
Lose in WC once
Lose in Divisional Round twice
Lose inthe conf championship once
Lose in the SB once
Win the SB once

Is that good enough, on more SB win in the next ten years? If we do this, we are better than the average of anyone excluding the cheating Patriots.

I'd like to win two more, but that may be unrealistic.

If Ely can get two I don't see why not Carson can't get us a pair.Isn't Doug's favorite saying "yet"!

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 12 2018, 07:21 AM
Post #3

Zero retired

I think what makes those different than this Eagles team is that it wasn't our franchise QB who was playing down the stretch and in the SB.

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Feb 12 2018, 03:25 PM
Post #4

Illegal Alien

I don't think another two SuperBowl victories with Wentz is that far fetched, but equally the NFL is ferociously competitive so it will be incredibly difficult.

Someone has to be the next dynasty so it may as well be us. Can't think of any other team I'd want to don that mantle.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 12 2018, 03:53 PM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 11 2018, 11:19 PM) *
Warner with Rams
Brady with Pats
Manning with Colts
Manning with Giants
Brees with Saints
Rodgers with Packers
Flacco with Ravens
Wilson with Seahawks

The Saints can still win it all, as can the Packers. It's funny that if not for having to go through NE every year, the Steelers would have at least a couple more rings. They've lost 3 conference championships to the Pats, and would've been 4 this year if not for the Jags. The Seahawks had their chance to repeat and should have if not for that idiot Carroll.

We won it all with several key starters injured, including our franchise QB. Our defense is rock solid and will only get better, and players will want to come here. Anything can happen in a year, much less 10, but we have to expect at least a couple more deep playoff runs.

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 12 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #6

Hall of Famer

Expectations? I really can't say. I'm still coming to grips they actually won the SB. Still hard to believe.

Do I want to see more SB wins? Absolutely. Do I, "expect," them? Absolutely not. It's VERY hard to win a SB much less multiple SBs. So many factors.

I can't say I'm content if they never win another but, I'm not quite as intensely hoping for a SB win now that they've finally won one.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 12 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #7

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

Well, looked at another way,

Final four three times in ten years
The SB twice in the decade
Win it once in the decade.

I've seen worse. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 12 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #8

Veteran

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 12 2018, 03:53 PM) *
The Saints can still win it all, as can the Packers. It's funny that if not for having to go through NE every year, the Steelers would have at least a couple more rings. They've lost 3 conference championships to the Pats, and would've been 4 this year if not for the Jags. The Seahawks had their chance to repeat and should have if not for that idiot Carroll.

We won it all with several key starters injured, including our franchise QB. Our defense is rock solid and will only get better, and players will want to come here. Anything can happen in a year, much less 10, but we have to expect at least a couple more deep playoff runs.

No matter how good you are you have to be lucky. It seemed like everything that has happened TO us in the last 50 years went FOR us this year starting with a rooky's 61 yard kick to beat the Giants. Then in the Atlanta game the bad pass that Nick threw at the end of the half that bounced off the Atlanta safety and Smith caught it and we got a FG. I could go on, but you get the idea. I'm not saying that we weren't the best team in the NFL this year because we were, but we got a lot of breaks too including home field advantage right when we needed it. We'll be in the hunt as long as Wentz stays healthy and it should be a fun ride for the next 10 years. I got one that I thought that I thought that I'd never see and it sure would be fun seeing another!

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 13 2018, 05:58 AM
Post #9

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 12 2018, 09:25 PM) *
No matter how good you are you have to be lucky. It seemed like everything that has happened TO us in the last 50 years went FOR us this year starting with a rooky's 61 yard kick to beat the Giants. Then in the Atlanta game the bad pass that Nick threw at the end of the half that bounced off the Atlanta safety and Smith caught it and we got a FG. I could go on, but you get the idea. I'm not saying that we weren't the best team in the NFL this year because we were, but we got a lot of breaks too including home field advantage right when we needed it. We'll be in the hunt as long as Wentz stays healthy and it should be a fun ride for the next 10 years. I got one that I thought that I thought that I'd never see and it sure would be fun seeing another!

Well-said...

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Feb 13 2018, 10:11 AM
Post #10

Hall of Famer

I agree about needing some luck. The Eagles got some of that:

No A. Rodgers to contend with.
The dropped pass by J Jones in the playoff game and the dropped INT that Eagle60 mentioned,
Jenkins knocking Cooks out of the game (the biggest play of the game) and Belicheat's decision to sit his 2nd best CB.

The Eagles had to overcome bad luck too--more than average injuries, the weird tip INT on the pass to Alshon in the SB, etc. That one could have been a PI on the CB for grabbing his arm otherwise that's a catch.

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 13 2018, 12:28 PM
Post #11

Hall of Famer

No matter how good you are you have to be lucky.

If you think we were lucky this year at all, I'm not sure what team you were watching. The closest thing to luck that you mentioned was the weird deflection from the Falcons to Smith. Kicking a 61 yard field goal and getting home field with backups isn't 'luck,' it's 'extreme skill despite bad luck.'

And as mentioned, we still had that freak Jeffery INT in the SB, and had 6 penalties called on us to 1 for the Pats, just no super bad calls.

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 13 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #12

Veteran

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 13 2018, 12:28 PM) *
If you think we were lucky this year at all, I'm not sure what team you were watching. The closest thing to luck that you mentioned was the weird deflection from the Falcons to Smith. Kicking a 61 yard field goal and getting home field with backups isn't 'luck,' it's 'extreme skill despite bad luck.'

And as mentioned, we still had that freak Jeffery INT in the SB, and had 6 penalties called on us to 1 for the Pats, just no super bad calls.

It was one glorious year wasn't it!!

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 13 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #13

Veteran

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 13 2018, 12:28 PM) *

It was one glorious year wasn't it!!

+Quote Post
mcnabbulous
post Feb 13 2018, 02:15 PM
Post #14

Hall of Famer

Carson will hoist the Lombardi 2-3 times in the next decade. Looking forward to it, and happy I'll be able to breath during the games moving forward.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2018 - 06:57 PM