IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> A Seemingly Illadvised Non Move By The Eagles
nephillymike
post Dec 23 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

Group: Members

Wentz gets hurt what should be five weeks before the team needs to play its first playoff game.

They make the decision not to bring in a 3rd QB for emergency purpose. Interesting.

I can see if they want Sudfeld to be the first backup, but in a case of a double QB injury, where say one is a simple concussion protocol, we could be winning a playoff game by a decent margin and need a QB just to handle very basic things like handoffs and safe passes. This would be extremely important and would only be a stop gap until the following week. Keep in mind, that it is not like it was a few years ago. If the NFL appointed person thinks a guy should be evaluated for a concussion, out of the game they go. It is out of the teams control.

IMO, it was a foolish decision. Years ago there was a foolish decision by Vermeil not to replace an injured kicker for a playoff game, thinking the punter could make due for a week. Two very short field goal misses plus a missed extra point later and we were proud owners of a crushing 14-13 loss in the wild card game to the Atlanta Falcons.

This is Philadelphia. What could go wrong, will go wrong. We could protect one possibility by making a no brainer move.

I can't believe that the 53rd man on the team is more important than QB insurance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Birdwatcher
post Dec 23 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #2

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 23 2017, 08:47 PM) *
Wentz gets hurt what should be five weeks before the team needs to play its first playoff game.

They make the decision not to bring in a 3rd QB for emergency purpose. Interesting.

I can see if they want Sudfeld to be the first backup, but in a case of a double QB injury, where say one is a simple concussion protocol, we could be winning a playoff game by a decent margin and need a QB just to handle very basic things like handoffs and safe passes. This would be extremely important and would only be a stop gap until the following week. Keep in mind, that it is not like it was a few years ago. If the NFL appointed person thinks a guy should be evaluated for a concussion, out of the game they go. It is out of the teams control.

IMO, it was a foolish decision. Years ago there was a foolish decision by Vermeil not to replace an injured kicker for a playoff game, thinking the punter could make due for a week. Two very short field goal misses plus a missed extra point later and we were proud owners of a crushing 14-13 loss in the wild card game to the Atlanta Falcons.

This is Philadelphia. What could go wrong, will go wrong. We could protect one possibility by making a no brainer move.

I can't believe that the 53rd man on the team is more important than QB insurance.

You honestly believe they could bring in a QB from the street and have him ready to run this O in a couple of weeks? Bottom line, if Nick goes down it is game over, just like if Brady, Brees, et al. were to get knocked out by injury this late in the game, we were damn lucky to have a backup as good as Foles. Can you name me other good QBs backing up the starters heading into the playoffs?

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Dec 24 2017, 02:05 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 23 2017, 10:08 PM) *
You honestly believe they could bring in a QB from the street and have him ready to run this O in a couple of weeks? Bottom line, if Nick goes down it is game over, just like if Brady, Brees, et al. were to get knocked out by injury this late in the game, we were damn lucky to have a backup as good as Foles. Can you name me other good QBs backing up the starters heading into the playoffs?

You sure could, at least good enough to handle basic things in a game manager role with a lead. He wouldn't be a good QB per se, but someone capable of performing normal QB duties in a crunch.

Remember, you are comparing an emergency QB to the 53rd man on your team.

It's a no brainer.

I wonder how many playoff teams have two QB including the practice squad?

Seems real stupid.

Also, Foles had arm problems remember? You may want to save him some throws in practice.

+Quote Post
Rick
post Dec 24 2017, 06:26 AM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2017, 03:05 AM) *
You sure could, at least good enough to handle basic things in a game manager role with a lead. He wouldn't be a good QB per se, but someone capable of performing normal QB duties in a crunch.

Remember, you are comparing an emergency QB to the 53rd man on your team.

It's a no brainer.

I wonder how many playoff teams have two QB including the practice squad?

Seems real stupid.

Also, Foles had arm problems remember? You may want to save him some throws in practice.

I have to agree. Not saying the other QB would be able to make a playoff run but, what if, as you say, we're up and we just need to finish off a game and it's an injury Foles can recover from for the next game.

Or, more likely as the Eagles, they're up in the SB and this happens....

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Dec 24 2017, 06:40 AM
Post #5

Illegal Alien

Whoever would take over from Foles would not be capable of taking this team to victory, so we only need someone who won't lose the game. On that basis I'm not convinced that someone new to the team would be in a better position to manage a game than Sudfield, who is at least familiar with the offense.

And if we lose both Foles and Sudfield/3rd QB we'd be screwed anyway.

Worrying about who would be our back up's back up is a step too far even for the Axis.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!

+Quote Post
Zero
post Dec 24 2017, 08:54 AM
Post #6

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 24 2017, 06:40 AM) *
Whoever would take over from Foles would not be capable of taking this team to victory, so we only need someone who won't lose the game. On that basis I'm not convinced that someone new to the team would be in a better position to manage a game than Sudfield, who is at least familiar with the offense.

And if we lose both Foles and Sudfield/3rd QB we'd be screwed anyway.

Worrying about who would be our back up's back up is a step too far even for the Axis.

I agree. It's really pretty amazing that we can still have dreams of competing for the SB after Wentz went down. What other team can you think of that would be in that position. To think that a player/personality like RGIII, Kaeperkick or whoever could provide more hope doesn't make sense to me.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Dec 24 2017, 09:16 AM
Post #7

Again, who could potentially have more impact, your 3rd string QB or your 53rd player on the roster.

It's a no brainer.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Dec 24 2017, 03:23 PM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

Who do you want to cut? Among those at the bottom of the roster are the following:

S, N. Gerry, CB/S J. Watkins, RB W. Smallwood, RB, MLB D. Ellerby, ST B. Braman, DE S Means, DT I Qualls, WR S Gibson.

I bet the decision to not sign a QB was more about next year than this year.

Ellerby and Braman are obviously veteran fill-ins for a playoff team.

All of the others are young guys with some upside for a team that will have cap struggles next year.

There is also the issue of CB S. Jones. Do you want to cut someone from that list to make him available? I think they have to make that decision at the end of next week correct? I imagine he'd have to beat out Watkins or Gerry, both of whom play S.

I imagine the #3 QB is T Burton. He was a running QB in high school and played a little QB at Florida. He actually scored 6TDs in one game at Florida.

Practice squad WR G. Ward was a college QB.

Both RG III and Kaepernick have playoff experience but neither seems to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I'm okay with Burton taking some read-option snaps to try to run out the clock. If more than that is needed, I would not expect anyone on the street to be adequate.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2017, 09:16 AM) *
Again, who could potentially have more impact, your 3rd string QB or your 53rd player on the roster.

It's a no brainer.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Dec 24 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 24 2017, 03:23 PM) *
Who do you want to cut? Among those at the bottom of the roster are the following:

S, N. Gerry, CB/S J. Watkins, RB W. Smallwood, RB, MLB D. Ellerby, ST B. Braman, DE S Means, DT I Qualls, WR S Gibson.

I bet the decision to not sign a QB was more about next year than this year.

Ellerby and Braman are obviously veteran fill-ins for a playoff team.

All of the others are young guys with some upside for a team that will have cap struggles next year.

There is also the issue of CB S. Jones. Do you want to cut someone from that list to make him available? I think they have to make that decision at the end of next week correct? I imagine he'd have to beat out Watkins or Gerry, both of whom play S.

I imagine the #3 QB is T Burton. He was a running QB in high school and played a little QB at Florida. He actually scored 6TDs in one game at Florida.

Practice squad WR G. Ward was a college QB.

Both RG III and Kaepernick have playoff experience but neither seems to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I'm okay with Burton taking some read-option snaps to try to run out the clock. If more than that is needed, I would not expect anyone on the street to be adequate.

Gerry or Gibson to the PS in a heart beat. Nobody will pick them up.

Maybe they are preparing Ward. If so, then I feel a little better about it. Still would rather have someone with NFL experience.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Dec 24 2017, 08:02 PM
Post #10

Hall of Famer

I like Gibson's upside. you can't teach speed. the kid came out early. I think he will be part of the replacement for T. Smith next year to save $

Gerry just seems to be "a guy" the type you can replace every year, especially considering the number of mid-round picks they have next year. I too would expect him to make it thru waivers, except an NFC playoff team might suddenly find a need for him ; )

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2017, 03:57 PM) *

Maybe they are preparing Ward. If so, then I feel a little better about it. Still would rather have someone with NFL experience.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Dec 24 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #11

Hall of Famer

I like Gibson's upside. you can't teach speed. the kid came out of school early. I think he will be part of the replacement for T. Smith next year to save $

Gerry just seems to be "a guy" the type you can replace every year, especially considering the number of mid-round picks they have next year. I too would expect him to make it thru waivers, except an NFC playoff team might suddenly find a need for him ; )

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2017, 03:57 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2018 - 08:56 PM