IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> Dallas
The Franchise
post Dec 21 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #1

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

They have to go 10-6 to make the playoffs - by doing so, they would have to beat Seattle, which would give them that tiebreaker.

-Detroit would have a better win pct. in common games should they close out 10-6

-Atlanta beat Dallas this year, so would win the tiebreaker just by going 1-1 in their final two

-In order for the loser of the NFC South to tie Dallas, either NO or Car would have to lose their final two, which would give Dallas a better conference record than either, and thus the tiebreaker

Detroit finishes the year playing GB - I'm calling GB for that one, led by a pissed off Aaron Rodgers. So forget the Lions.

Atlanta finishes up against NO and then Car, which should lead to a nice clusterfuck of different playoff scenarios. It certainly makes Atlanta losing 2 to end the year a real possibility. Both NO and Car also have a game against the Bucs, so you can probably forget about either team finishing 10-6.

It's a very real possibility that they could come into the Linc with a chance to get a playoff berth in Week 17, after we presumably have homefield locked up. This time they'll be healthy and with Elliott. Do we let them run all over our backups, get in the playoffs, and then let a hot and confident team come back here after our bye, after traveling to LA for what should amount to a playoff home game?

In a normal year, resting your starters would be a no-brainer. But this would obviously be real experience for Foles in a playoff atmosphere, against a good team. I'm not sure how sitting him for the better part of 3 weeks right now helps our cause.

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zero
post Dec 21 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #2

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

I think the best thing is to play the starters at least a quarter and maybe a half assuming home field throughout is locked. A week off hasn't helped this team much on the ensuing game, two weeks may be devastating.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Dec 21 2017, 09:04 PM
Post #3

Token Axis Member

Heard this damning stat:

The last nine times a team that had a first round bye rested its starters in week 17, those teams are 3-6 in their first playoff game.

Yikes.

Makes it a little dicey.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Dec 21 2017, 11:36 PM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

Pedey pointed out that this is not the preseason where you have a huge roster. You have to play almost everyone because you only have a small number of backups. Fortunately everyone can play fewer reps and a few guys who are dinged up can be inactive allowing a few depth guys to be active.

I assume Foles will benefit from a quarter or so of action but you'll want the starting O Line in front of him.

I think Dallas will be out of the playoffs by then so they won't have as much motivation. They'll still win the game. I just want to get out of there healthy.

It will be interesting to see if they activate Sidney Jones. They'd have to cut someone to do it. I assume that would be J Watkins who can play both S and CB. Even if they activate him, I assume he'll still be inactive on game day for the first playoff game--assuming everyone else is healthy. If they don't activate him he becomes a free agent a year later.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 21 2017, 09:04 PM) *
Heard this damning stat:

The last nine times a team that had a first round bye rested its starters in week 17, those teams are 3-6 in their first playoff game.

Yikes.

Makes it a little dicey.

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Dec 21 2017, 11:46 PM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 21 2017, 11:36 PM) *
I think Dallas will be out of the playoffs by then so they won't have as much motivation. They'll still win the game. I just want to get out of there healthy.

That's kind of the whole point - if Dallas is out of the playoffs, who cares? But if they aren't, I'm of the mind that we should beat them with our starters. Even if it's one half, and we end up on top by 10 points, great. However, if we play our starters and they're losing at the half or it's close, I don't know that we should sit them immediately. Foles hasn't started much recently, and I thin kit would be to our benefit to have him throwing to our starters, especially if it's to send Dallas home - and also for the reasons I said, it's likely that if Dallas makes the playoffs they'll be headed to the Linc after the bye week.

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post
Dreagon
post Dec 22 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #6

Hall of Famer

I think that's too many things to go right for us to even be in contention Week 17. While there are Dallas fans clinging to that filament of hope, I think the older and wiser of us will be satisfied to simply see us finish well, let the chips fall where they may, and then put this season behind us.

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Dec 24 2017, 09:32 PM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

Nevermind. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 08:51 AM