IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ten Reasons to Like This trade, One Reason for Pause
nephillymike
post Oct 31 2017, 10:31 PM
Post #1

Token Axis Member

Group: Members

I like those odds.

My one reason for a brief pause; Mack Hollins

My ten reasons for it:

Pumphrey
J. Watkins
M. Barkley
C. Matthews
A. Henery
B. Boykin
T. Lindley
K. Clayton
M. Kafka
C. Harbor

They are our last 11 4th round picks.

A No Brainer

He's our best RB right now. He will make us better this year and he has homerun hitter potential which I think we're lacking. He's a slight improvement in pass catching and a decent improvement in blitz pickup.

However, he's a head case and has a short shelf life. He'll improve our chances in the short term and even if he becomes an ass hole in year two, you can always cut him and move on for the cheap price of a Keenan Clayton. If the locker room changes him, then you've hit the jackpot for a real cheap price.

I love that Howie did this. I love that he consistently uses the most untapped avenue; NFL trades.

Maybe the analytics department has finally found the arbitrage opportunity that's been obvious to me for a long while. The most over valued currency is mid and late round draft picks versus the proven talent they can buy.

Kudos Don Howie!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zero
post Nov 1 2017, 05:37 AM
Post #2

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

The writer from Miami says that Ajayi and Landry didn't buy into what Gace was trying to do. This is a bit confusing, because, as far as I know both are pretty good players.

The article also says that "last season he [Ajayi] was the NFL’s fourth-leading rusher and he worked extremely hard in the offseason to increase his value to the team by improving his pass-catching skills. He worked on that and all it entails -- route running, hands, pass protection -- to be on the field on third down." Let's agree that the player has an attitude issue, but it seems to me that could apply to about half or more of the players in the league. This article says that Gace did a similar thing last year. "A year ago, Gase cut a couple of starting offensive linemen weeks into the season. That was the same and yet not quite. He’d been warned about them. He took a chance on them anyhow."

It's not that Ajayi won't have problems here, it just sounds like Gace could have handled the situation a lot better. Maybe Pederson and his emotional intelligence, aided by some of the other players in the locker room will have better results with him.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Nov 1 2017, 08:59 AM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

Also winning tends to keep a lid on problems. Recall that the Eagles won 10 games with Chip before the bot boiled over.

At the moment the Eagles probably feel they have something special. No one wants to mess that up. Notice how admirably quiet and content Smith and Jeffery have been even with so few touches and while N Agholor has gotten most of the attention. As long as they continue to look like a playoff team, they should be okay. However if they don't do well during the upcoming stretch of games vs playoff caliber teams, we could hear some rumblings.

Adversity will come. A team can't loose two Pro Bowl caliber players--arguably Hall of Famers--in Peters and Sproles, plus your QB on D and not be affected.
Loosing the locker room leadership of Peters and Sproles can't be good.

Smallwood played very few snaps last week. I wonder if he is still nicked up. Maybe they fear this will be a chronic issue for him.

The Ajayi pickup may be partially in response to the lack of availability of Smallwood. It might also be due to concerns about J Peters' availability next year, especially at OT. Ajayi could be penciled in as the starter next year and replacement for Blount. This frees up their 1st round pick to be used on an OT rather than RB.

This looks like yet another wise move by Howie and his front office team.

QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 1 2017, 05:37 AM) *
The writer from Miami says that Ajayi and Landry didn't buy into what Gace was trying to do. This is a bit confusing, because, as far as I know both are pretty good players.

The article also says that "last season he [Ajayi] was the NFL’s fourth-leading rusher and he worked extremely hard in the offseason to increase his value to the team by improving his pass-catching skills. He worked on that and all it entails -- route running, hands, pass protection -- to be on the field on third down." Let's agree that the player has an attitude issue, but it seems to me that could apply to about half or more of the players in the league. This article says that Gace did a similar thing last year. "A year ago, Gase cut a couple of starting offensive linemen weeks into the season. That was the same and yet not quite. He’d been warned about them. He took a chance on them anyhow."

It's not that Ajayi won't have problems here, it just sounds like Gace could have handled the situation a lot better. Maybe Pederson and his emotional intelligence, aided by some of the other players in the locker room will have better results with him.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Nov 1 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #4

Token Axis Member

I heard Adam Caplan, Jaws and Spuds all say that the Eagles feel that they have left a lot of rushing yards on the field this year. When watching the tape they said that with the holes we made, as sometimes limited as they were, we should have had better rushing results.

I agree.

They see this guy as a cure for some of that.

I agree. He gives us a much better option.

I wonder why Smallwood fell out of favor.

+Quote Post
Zero
post Nov 1 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #5

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 1 2017, 08:49 PM) *
I wonder why Smallwood fell out of favor.

I bet a big thing is that he can't stay healthy. And that he's not real good at blitz pickup and/or blocking and I think there's a good reason.

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 07:30 PM