IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> Big V ... interesting from Brooks
Zero
post Oct 19 2017, 05:28 AM
Post #1

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

Group: Members

He's not LJ, but from most people on the team who know him and study the film, Big V is supposed to be a good player. It seems that every time he first starts off he gets used by a DE or blitzer. Last year it was Kerrigan in DC and Thursday he got burned on a blitz. Here's what his linemate said:
Question - I thought there was a communication breakdown the first two series. I noticed the second time Carson Wentz was sacked, the two of you picked up an inside guy and (James Bradbury) from the outside came in and sacked Wentz (for a 7-yard loss on first-and-10 at the Eagles’ 31). After that, Big V did a nice job. I also noticed you pointing to Big V after the second Wentz sack, as if to say that outside guy was your man. Was there a communication issue early on?

Brooks - Obviously, without giving away our scheme for different reasons, there was a combination of different factors that go into that. I pointed to V, he’s a young dude thrust into the line of duty on a short week. Although he’s getting reps, he’s not getting as many reps as Lane [Johnson]. I was making sure [Big V] was getting all of the calls, making sure he’s on the same page, and making sure he knows who he has. Things like that.

It was just something coming from an older player to a younger player. I rotated in my rookie year and started my second year on, so I know what it’s like those first couple of games when you get in there. It’s one thing when you do it in practice, but you work harder in the game. I was just making sure that [Big V] was as comfortable as possible, making sure the game was slow for him and making it easier for him.

Obviously you don't expect Brooks to throw him under the bus, but this sounds like a reasonable explanation on why a young player had a bad play. Last year and Thursday he settled in to play pretty well. I think we may be OK with him.

This is a nice article and gives some insight into the mentality of the team as well as Brooks. A good read.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Oct 19 2017, 10:56 AM
Post #2

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

During the first quarter of the game I remember wondering why CW was so often looking for WRs on his left, instead of designing plays where his first read is on his right--the side of his young OT.

Overall I thought the coaches did a poor job protecting CW from the blitz in the first half, unlike last year where the plays seemed to often have a go-to option early in the play.

QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 19 2017, 05:28 AM) *
He's not LJ, but from most people on the team who know him and study the film, Big V is supposed to be a good player. It seems that every time he first starts off he gets used by a DE or blitzer. Last year it was Kerrigan in DC and Thursday he got burned on a blitz. Here's what his linemate said:

Obviously you don't expect Brooks to throw him under the bus, but this sounds like a reasonable explanation on why a young player had a bad play. Last year and Thursday he settled in to play pretty well. I think we may be OK with him.

This is a nice article and gives some insight into the mentality of the team as well as Brooks. A good read.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 10:39 PM