IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> I don't give a shit, ...a win is a win
Phits
post Oct 12 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #1

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

5-1 Baby!!

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 – 1981)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rick
post Oct 13 2017, 04:59 AM
Post #2

Hall of Famer

I don't even look at it like that. They beat a good team and, honestly, they blew them out. The refs directly handed the Panthers 13 points and took away who knows how many points from the Eagles. This game wouldn't have been close had they not had refs who were calling the game like they had bet on the Panthers.

The team overcame about the worst adversity you can (short of big injuries in the game). When the refs are against you, it's VERY difficult to win in the NFL but they did it.

Damnit, these Eagles always suck me back into believing they're capable of more...

+Quote Post
Zero
post Oct 13 2017, 05:46 AM
Post #3

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

Refs were horrendous but the Eagles beat them too!!

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Oct 13 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

Last week was a "blow out."

This was still impressive. They went on the road on a Thursday night when home field advantage is much bigger than on the weekend. They were playing a red hot Carolina team coming off road Ws against playoff caliber teams--Detroit and NE. They did not just barely win like they did against the Giants. The Eagles looked like the better team, even with the strange officiating.

After the commentators spent 30 minutes swooning over Cam in the pregame CW looked like the better QB! CW made more tough throws and protected the ball. Cam was the one who made foolish, rookie throws in the 4th Qt!

I wonder if Ertz got his bell run when his head hit the turf on one of the TD passes. He later had the dumb penalty, whiffed on a blitz pickup and dropped a 3rd down pass--a tough one but one we've become accustomed to seeing him make. Other than the TDs he was rather quiet.

With L Johnson and R Darby coming back soon and S Jones likely adding to the DB depth it seems reasonable to think they are capable of more. However even if they stay at their current level of play they could win the East and a 1st round home playoff game. I'd consider that a very successful season with a 2nd year QB.

Of course anything can happen but I'd rather be at 5-1 with the sky as the limit than where the Cowboys are--without their star RB as they try to get back in the playoff race : ) If they accepted the suspension at the beginning of the year, they'd probably have the same record but would have their RB for the big Eagles games.

5-1 baby!!

QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 12 2017, 10:47 PM) *
5-1 Baby!!

QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 13 2017, 04:59 AM) *
I don't even look at it like that. They beat a good team and, honestly, they blew them out. The refs directly handed the Panthers 13 points and took away who knows how many points from the Eagles. This game wouldn't have been close had they not had refs who were calling the game like they had bet on the Panthers.

The team overcame about the worst adversity you can (short of big injuries in the game). When the refs are against you, it's VERY difficult to win in the NFL but they did it.

Damnit, these Eagles always suck me back into believing they're capable of more...

+Quote Post
CT_Eagle
post Oct 13 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

I stated before the game that this would be a good barometer of where the Eagles are.

This was a big win for an up and coming team. All signs pointed to a loss going into the game last night. From the historical win percentage of the host on Thursday night games to Lane Johnson being out.

This team pulled it out and I have been grinning from ear to ear since last night.

A few thoughts from the game.

The officiating was horribly one sided. With that said, the Eagles did make a number of really stupid penalties. Barnett's roughing the passer penalty in particular damn near cost the Eagles the game. The Eagles need to be more disciplined.

Wentz struggled against the blitz. This is not really a shocker. He is still a very young QB. The promising thing here is that by the end of the game, he started to make the Panthers pay. That is what you want to see from your young developing QB. I was also happy to see Wentz on the sideline after he didn't see Agholar open on that slant. He was pissed at himself for missing the open target. He also stated that during the post game interview. Wentz is a leader and he will only get better.

I was also happy with Pederson. In the beginning of the game I thought he was going to abandon the run. He did not. There was a good mix last night. I hope it continues. As each week goes by I am growing less and less concerned with Pederson. I hope he stays the course.

Those are my major points from last night's game.

Enjoy this win. It was not an easy one. In the future we may look back at this game and view it as the game that the Eagles became a legit threat in the playoffs for years to come.

+Quote Post
mcnabbulous
post Oct 13 2017, 10:21 AM
Post #6

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 13 2017, 10:10 AM) *
Barnett's roughing the passer penalty in particular damn near cost the Eagles the game.

This was a bullshit call. Those guys clearly couldn't hear the whistle.

+Quote Post
CT_Eagle
post Oct 13 2017, 10:34 AM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 13 2017, 04:21 PM) *

We have all seen far less contact result in a roughing the passer penalty. It was a boneheaded hit by Barnett. No excuse for that.

+Quote Post
JeeQ
post Oct 13 2017, 10:50 AM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

The Eagles were penalized 10 times for 126 yards. The Panthers were penalized once, for only one yard.

wink.gif

+Quote Post
mcnabbulous
post Oct 13 2017, 12:33 PM
Post #9

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 13 2017, 10:34 AM) *
We have all seen far less contact result in a roughing the passer penalty. It was a boneheaded hit by Barnett. No excuse for that.

How is it bonehead if he believe it to be a live play (which he clearly did). As he motioned immediately afterwards, Cam should have spiked the ball, which is pretty standard practice in that scenario.

By the time Barnett realized it, he clearly pulled up. Not much more he could have done.

+Quote Post
Birdman420
post Oct 13 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #10

Veteran

Yeah there was no whistle heard on that play and Cam knew it and played the part of an active QB until the very last second...

The dumb penalty was the pass interference on Mills when Mcleod intercepted the ball... would have ended the game right there.

+Quote Post
CT_Eagle
post Oct 13 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #11

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 13 2017, 05:33 PM) *
How is it bonehead if he believe it to be a live play (which he clearly did). As he motioned immediately afterwards, Cam should have spiked the ball, which is pretty standard practice in that scenario.

By the time Barnett realized it, he clearly pulled up. Not much more he could have done.

The fact that he thought the play was still alive was boneheaded all by itself.

I am not going to get into another 30 post debate with you over this. I think Barnett committed a bone headed penalty. You disagree.

+Quote Post
CT_Eagle
post Oct 13 2017, 12:44 PM
Post #12

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Oct 13 2017, 05:40 PM) *
Yeah there was no whistle heard on that play and Cam knew it and played the part of an active QB until the very last second...

The dumb penalty was the pass interference on Mills when Mcleod intercepted the ball... would have ended the game right there.

It didn't bother much that Mills drew that PI call. I have seen too many similar calls in the past to get worked up over it. What did bother me was the fact that a short time later, Agholar was interfered with in the same manner and a flag was not thrown. It needs to be evenly called. If you are going to call minor infractions, do it both ways. If you are going to let them play, let them both play.

+Quote Post
Pila
post Oct 13 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #13

Eusébio

QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 13 2017, 06:44 PM) *
It didn't bother much that Mills drew that PI call. I have seen too many similar calls in the past to get worked up over it. What did bother me was the fact that a short time later, Agholar was interfered with in the same manner and a flag was not thrown. It needs to be evenly called. If you are going to call minor infractions, do it both ways. If you are going to let them play, let them both play.

Right - ref set the standards with the first call. Then went on to apply it to one specific team only. And it looks like they have a history of doing precisely that. That hurts the league's credibility and it has to be addressed.

--------------------
[img]http://dreadart67.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/benfica-2008-ii.jpg[/img]

+Quote Post
Pila
post Oct 13 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #14

Eusébio

QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 13 2017, 06:41 PM) *
The fact that he thought the play was still alive was boneheaded all by itself.

I am not going to get into another 30 post debate with you over this. I think Barnett committed a bone headed penalty. You disagree.

I think that would be true if we ignored how the day went. In fact, how it has gone with that crew in respective to the Eagles. In the context of their body of work, the penalty was self suspicious.

In addition, I'm very confused about how one penalty was ignored over another - aren't these off-setting penalties? Ref said the delay of game was automatically "declined". heh? Can someone explain that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
CT_Eagle
post Oct 13 2017, 12:59 PM
Post #15

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 13 2017, 05:55 PM) *
I think that would be true if we ignored how the day went. In fact, how it has gone with that crew in respective to the Eagles. In the context of their body of work, the penalty was self suspicious.

In addition, I'm very confused about how one penalty was ignored over another - aren't these off-setting penalties? Ref said the delay of game was automatically "declined". heh? Can someone explain that?

I don't know how the rules are applied in that situation. There were two calls. The delay and the unsportsmanlike conduct. Perhaps when an unsportsmanlike conduct is involved it always negates a procedural penalty like delay of game. That is pure conjecture on my part. I honestly don't know the answer.

+Quote Post
Pila
post Oct 13 2017, 01:11 PM
Post #16

Eusébio

QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 13 2017, 06:59 PM) *
I don't know how the rules are applied in that situation. There were two calls. The delay and the unsportsmanlike conduct. Perhaps when an unsportsmanlike conduct is involved it always negates a procedural penalty like delay of game. That is pure conjecture on my part. I honestly don't know the answer.

I thought that they called a roughing penalty, didn't they? Either way, how does that automatically decline the delay of game call? I can't remember ever a penalty being automatically decline to the detriment of the team that the foul was committed in favor of.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CT_Eagle
post Oct 13 2017, 01:18 PM
Post #17

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 13 2017, 06:11 PM) *
I thought that they called a roughing penalty, didn't they? Either way, how does that automatically decline the delay of game call? I can't remember ever a penalty being automatically decline to the detriment of the team that the foul was committed in favor of.

I believe it was "Unsportsmanlike Conduct - Roughing the Passer".

I don't get how it works either. I just did a quick search on the NFL rule book and found nothing. If anyone else knows what chapter this is in please point me in the right direction. I would like to read it.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Oct 13 2017, 05:04 PM
Post #18

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 13 2017, 04:21 PM) *

If that had been Wentz getting hit, we'd have been spitting blood if there was no flag.

QUOTE (Pila @ Oct 13 2017, 07:11 PM) *

I'd guess that a personal foul automatically overrides a delay of game. But that's a guess and not a quote from the NFL rule book, so it's as accurate as anything that last night's officials called.

--------------------
Despite failing both the spelling test and the grammar test, my Axis application was rererereevaluated.

And I've been informed "Your Axis card is in the mail..................."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 04:39 AM