IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
> Once Cox and Hicks went out the D got shredded until...
Birdwatcher
post Sep 24 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

That last series after they tied the game, they stood tall getting that 3 and out. Given the players lost during the game I give them credit for that last stand. It really shows how important Cox is to the D-line, without him they could muster no pressure on Sheli. Hopefully he is ready for next week. Hopefully we get a safety or two back too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Zero
post Sep 24 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #2

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 24 2017, 06:17 PM) *
That last series after they tied the game, they stood tall getting that 3 and out. Given the players lost during the game I give them credit for that last stand. It really shows how important Cox is to the D-line, without him they could muster no pressure on Sheli. Hopefully he is ready for next week. Hopefully we get a safety or two back too.
Douglas did a credible job, but without Hendricks and Cox they were seriously wounded.

+Quote Post
Rick
post Sep 24 2017, 05:52 PM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 24 2017, 06:17 PM) *

Problem is, even with him, they could muster no pressure on him. But, yes, they are way better with him on the field for sure.

+Quote Post
Zero
post Sep 24 2017, 06:01 PM
Post #4

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

QUOTE (Rick @ Sep 24 2017, 06:52 PM) *
Problem is, even with him, they could muster no pressure on him. But, yes, they are way better with him on the field for sure.

They were running hurry up, quick drop throws. They were worried about the pressure which is almost as good as getting hits.

+Quote Post
D Rock
post Sep 25 2017, 12:16 AM
Post #5

Resident "Literal Police"

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 24 2017, 11:17 PM) *

They didn’t get any pressure on Sheli with Cox in the game either.

Just sayin...

--------------------
I'll Drink to That!!!!!

+Quote Post
SAM I Am
post Sep 28 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #6

Fuck Jerry Jones and the Cowturds

QUOTE (Rick @ Sep 24 2017, 06:52 PM) *

There wasn't any time to get pressure on him. The ball was out of his hand in no time after he took the snap.

The defenders played to soft. The should have been up on the line jamming them fuckers and taking them off their routes.

--------------------
He just couldn't get his Ducks in a row.
Fade to black, for now.

+Quote Post
Pila
post Sep 28 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #7

Eusébio

QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Sep 28 2017, 10:22 PM) *
There wasn't any time to get pressure on him. The ball was out of his hand in no time after he took the snap.

The defenders played to soft. The should have been up on the line jamming them fuckers and taking them off their routes.

Schwartz said that was schematic. They were going to force the short throws, then make sure they tackled. They thought given enough times they'd be able to goad them into a predictable lane. In fact, that's how they got one of the interceptions.

--------------------
[img]http://dreadart67.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/benfica-2008-ii.jpg[/img]

+Quote Post
Reality Fan
post Sep 28 2017, 10:43 PM
Post #8

Keeper Of The Truth

Can someone please explain how an NFL team ever gets pressure on a team that throws the ball 2 seconds after the snap? It isn't possible which is why the Giants did it to make up for the obvious mismatch.

Cox was not missed as much as Hicks. He really is the heart and soul of that D. At least the D was able to rally when it really counted...that was impressive and improbable considering the wave of injuries they had to endure. Maragos had to start for god's sake.

--------------------
The sooner you agree with me, the sooner you'll be right.

+Quote Post
Rick
post Sep 29 2017, 04:35 AM
Post #9

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Pila @ Sep 28 2017, 08:16 PM) *
Schwartz said that was schematic. They were going to force the short throws, then make sure they tackled. They thought given enough times they'd be able to goad them into a predictable lane. In fact, that's how they got one of the interceptions.

And this is something we've been watching from various DCs over the years and it infuriates me. We sit here and watch pass after pass caught in front of our defense. We watch them play off 10 yards+ on 3rd and 5 and watch the ball being caught for a 1st down. We watch an Odell Beckham never get touched until he's caught the ball. Sick of watching it.

And it looks like Cox may be out for this week as well. They still haven't said whether Hicks will be ready or not.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Sep 29 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #10

Hall of Famer

The Giants did it because the Eagles were giving them the opportunity to do it. Schwartz was quoted as saying as much. The Eagles knew they could not cover the Giants' WRs deep, so they decided to play bend-but-not-break, allow the G men to march down the field and then make a stand on a shorter field.

That worked for a while until the injuries plus time of possession in the second half caused the Eagles D to become gassed.

I assume this was part of the reason they went for it on 4th and 8. If they punted, the G Men were likely going to march down the field. Then a gassed Eagles D was going to have to try to keep them out of the End zone. So they gave the Gmen a short field and the Eagles D was not gassed when trying to make a Red Zone stand.

Cox is more important than Hicks who I also like. The havoc that B Graham creates is due in part to the fact that the QB can't step up in the pocket. Cox's O Lineman has been pushed back into the pocket.

Furthermore, compare the replacements. A capable, very athletic veteran Kendricks fills in for Hicks. A former 7th rounder, B Allen fills in for Cox, a huge drop off in athleticism!

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 28 2017, 10:43 PM) *
Can someone please explain how an NFL team ever gets pressure on a team that throws the ball 2 seconds after the snap? It isn't possible which is why the Giants did it to make up for the obvious mismatch.

I hear that Hicks and McCloud were full participants at practice on Wed. Wiz was getting lots of reps at 1st team OG but would not be surprised if we see some Warmack. Supposedly the Bolts have a smaller but quick D, unlike the Giants.
http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagl...-wiz-first-team

Cox was not missed as much as Hicks. He really is the heart and soul of that D. At least the D was able to rally when it really counted...that was impressive and improbable considering the wave of injuries they had to endure. Maragos had to start for god's sake.

QUOTE (Rick @ Sep 29 2017, 04:35 AM) *
And this is something we've been watching from various DCs over the years and it infuriates me. We sit here and watch pass after pass caught in front of our defense. We watch them play off 10 yards+ on 3rd and 5 and watch the ball being caught for a 1st down. We watch an Odell Beckham never get touched until he's caught the ball. Sick of watching it.

And it looks like Cox may be out for this week as well. They still haven't said whether Hicks will be ready or not.

+Quote Post
Reality Fan
post Sep 29 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #11

Keeper Of The Truth

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 29 2017, 11:13 AM) *
The Giants did it because the Eagles were giving them the opportunity to do it. Schwartz was quoted as saying as much. The Eagles knew they could not cover the Giants' WRs deep, so they decided to play bend-but-not-break, allow the G men to march down the field and then make a stand on a shorter field.

That worked for a while until the injuries plus time of possession in the second half caused the Eagles D to become gassed.

I assume this was part of the reason they went for it on 4th and 8. If they punted, the G Men were likely going to march down the field. Then a gassed Eagles D was going to have to try to keep them out of the End zone. So they gave the Gmen a short field and the Eagles D was not gassed when trying to make a Red Zone stand.

Cox is more important than Hicks who I also like. The havoc that B Graham creates is due in part to the fact that the QB can't step up in the pocket. Cox's O Lineman has been pushed back into the pocket.

Furthermore, compare the replacements. A capable, very athletic veteran Kendricks fills in for Hicks. A former 7th rounder, B Allen fills in for Cox, a huge drop off in athleticism!

I was being sarcastic on the first point...the announcers even pointed out that the Giants countered the pass rush by taking the quick short throws. It was an obvious tactic.

I disagree that Cox is more valuable but I also thing he is overrated so that explains that. I think he a very good DT, don't get me wrong but f or the money he should do more. Just my opinion and I could be wrong. Where I think Hicks is more important is that Allen is a space eater and though he may not get as much pressure as Cox he does pretty well overall. Hicks' replacements do not cover anywhere nearly as well or find the ball or tackle as well not to mention calling the adjustments.

Graham's success was limited by the offense the Giants ran more than the absence of Cox.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcnabbulous
post Sep 29 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #12

Hall of Famer

I read something like Eli got rid of the ball 40% faster than any other QB in football last week. The pass rush wasn’t the problem.

It was pretty classic bend but don’t break defense.

+Quote Post
Reality Fan
post Sep 29 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #13

Keeper Of The Truth

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 29 2017, 03:05 PM) *
I read something like Eli got rid of the ball 40% faster than any other QB in football last week. The pass rush wasn’t the problem.

It was pretty classic bend but don’t break defense.

yes, Schwartz mentioned that and provided some stats in his interview. The Giants game plan was to nullify the pass rush by making quick throws and Schwartz was happy to make his DBs keep everything in front of them and focus on tackling.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 11:43 PM