IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> 4th down data.
nephillymike
post Sep 24 2017, 05:16 PM
Post #1

Token Axis Member

Group: Members

http://blog.minitab.com/blog/the-statistic...ing-on-4th-down

32% is the chance not 20%.

Still, I don't know what the hell the analytics guys are seeing to say that was the odds to play in that spot.

I think I could find many holes in that analysis.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pila
post Sep 24 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #2

Eusébio

No. You pin them with a punt in that spot. That's what analytics should be saying if it was adequately dealing with real life factors.

--------------------
[img]http://dreadart67.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/benfica-2008-ii.jpg[/img]

+Quote Post
Zero
post Sep 24 2017, 05:23 PM
Post #3

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 24 2017, 06:16 PM) *
http://blog.minitab.com/blog/the-statistic...ing-on-4th-down

Still, I don't know what the hell the analytics guys are seeing to say that was the odds to play in that spot.

They can say what they want and support it with whatever numbers they can create, it was still dumb.

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Sep 24 2017, 05:28 PM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 24 2017, 06:16 PM) *

I've torn apart too many of Kevin Rudy's bullshit 'studies' to count. Click on his name, and his profile pic should tell you all you need to know about his knowledge of different dynamics in sports. He's another one who twists data to support passing the ball 80% of the time.

I couldn't open up the tab where he specifies his data, but it's heavily implied that most of it is from college football. There's no fucking way in hell an NFL probability of going for it on 4th and 8 is 32%. And nobody who understands anything about the game would say anything other than it was a completely stupid decision by Pederson. I hope the press pushes him hard on that.

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Sep 24 2017, 06:31 PM
Post #5

Token Axis Member

Curiosity is killing me, though.

Mikeynumbers would like the chance to rip it to shreds.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Sep 25 2017, 01:53 PM
Post #6

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 25 2017, 12:31 AM) *

I can fix that for you without any effort - just insert a decimal point between the 3 and the 2 to get the real world odds.

As I said at the time, I'd have supported going for it if we only needed 2 or 3 yards, but not eight. That would have still been a bad decision even if we had converted.

--------------------
Despite failing both the spelling test and the grammar test, my Axis application was rererereevaluated.

And I've been informed "Your Axis card is in the mail..................."

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Sep 25 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 24 2017, 06:31 PM) *

There's more than enough info given to automatically dismiss his study. Look at some of his other ones. I really hope this is just a hobby for him, and poor saps don't pay him for 'predictions.'

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Sep 29 2017, 09:04 AM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

Bump.

Click on his name and look at his pic. That's the guy who inspired 4th and 8. Feel good about that? laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bwc2112
post Sep 29 2017, 09:43 AM
Post #9

Veteran

Kevin Rudy ? That's my dipshit neighbors kid and the prick still isn't finished mowing my damn lawn ! ac6.gif

--------------------
True for life .

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Sep 29 2017, 10:21 AM
Post #10

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (bwc2112 @ Sep 29 2017, 09:43 AM) *
Kevin Rudy ? That's my dipshit neighbors kid and the prick still isn't finished mowing my damn lawn ! ac6.gif

Maybe he crunched some numbers, and the data showed that your grass won't grow too much before it starts snowing. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 11:38 PM