IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
- TGryn   fwd: Donovan McNabb Would Have Led the 2011 Eagles to the Playoffs   Feb 19 2012, 03:06 PM
- - HOUSEoPAIN   QUOTE (TGryn @ Feb 19 2012, 03:06 PM) Wel...   Feb 19 2012, 06:43 PM
- - Rick   I would take DMac over Vick for more reasons than ...   Feb 19 2012, 06:52 PM
- - Dreagon   My initial reaction to reading this was that someb...   Feb 20 2012, 03:55 AM
|- - Birdman420   QUOTE (Dreagon @ Feb 20 2012, 03:55 AM) M...   Feb 20 2012, 12:41 PM
- - BirdsWinBaby   QUOTE (TGryn @ Feb 19 2012, 03:06 PM) Wel...   Feb 20 2012, 09:52 AM
- - TGryn   While its an unknowable in the end - who can say w...   Feb 20 2012, 04:19 PM
|- - HOUSEoPAIN   QUOTE (TGryn @ Feb 20 2012, 04:19 PM) Alt...   Feb 21 2012, 09:38 AM
- - PhillyTC   How? Was McNabb going to be the Head Coach?   Feb 22 2012, 08:56 AM
|- - Eyrie   QUOTE (PhillyTC @ Feb 22 2012, 01:56 PM) ...   Feb 22 2012, 01:42 PM
- - koolaidluke   QUOTE (TGryn @ Feb 19 2012, 03:06 PM) Thi...   Feb 22 2012, 02:35 PM
- - HOUSEoPAIN   QUOTE Donovan does not throw interceptions and is ...   Feb 22 2012, 03:27 PM
|- - D Rock   QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 22 2012, 09:27 PM...   Feb 22 2012, 09:10 PM
|- - HOUSEoPAIN   QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 22 2012, 09:10 PM) He...   Feb 22 2012, 10:01 PM
|- - Phits   QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 22 2012, 10:01 PM...   Feb 23 2012, 11:35 AM
|- - Eyrie   QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 23 2012, 03:01 AM...   Feb 23 2012, 01:33 PM
|- - HOUSEoPAIN   QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 23 2012, 01:33 PM) Koo...   Feb 23 2012, 02:24 PM
- - Rick   QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Feb 22 2012, 02:35 P...   Feb 22 2012, 06:04 PM
> fwd: Donovan McNabb Would Have Led the 2011 Eagles to the Playoffs
TGryn
post Feb 19 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #1

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

Well, this ought to spark a little controversy during a down time in the offseason:

http://www.eaglesfan4life.com/2012/01/dono...e-led-2011.html
Why? The main reason I believe this is because of his ability to prevent turnovers. Michael Vick accounted for 17 turnovers in 2011. The Eagles finished the season with an 8-8 record, just one game away from making the playoffs. I know if McNabb was the QB he would not have turned the ball over 17 times. McNabb's touchdown to interception ratio would have been a huge advantage to the Birds that Vick didn't provide. Take away a few turnovers and add a couple passing touchdowns and the Eagles win at least another game.

This is not as crazy as it sounds: even during his two dismal seasons with Washington and Minnesota, his TD-INT ratio was 18-17, while Vick's TD-INT last year was 18-14 with much better material at the other skill positions to work with than McNabb had.

--------------------
https://twitter.com/tagryn101
https://www.facebook.com/tagryn
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Feb 19 2012, 06:43 PM
Post #2

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (TGryn @ Feb 19 2012, 03:06 PM) *
Well, this ought to spark a little controversy during a down time in the offseason:

This is not as crazy as it sounds: even during his two dismal seasons with Washington and Minnesota, his TD-INT ratio was 18-17, while Vick's TD-INT last year was 18-14 with much better material at the other skill positions to work with than McNabb had.

The problem here isn't at QB regardless. That being said, I think McNabb had the 2nd best td-int ratio in history 2nd to Tom Brady prior to him going to Washington. Dan Marino would've sucked under that o-line. He didn't play poorly in Minny either, remember they gave up at least 2 or 3 14-20 pt. leads prior to him getting benched, and the last game before he was benched he completed 80% of his passes. I had 2 Vikings players on my fantasy team so I watched the Vikings games, you can't blame it on him. His time is up of course, his work ethic has been questionable for awhile, but I still think he could find a job in the NFL.

--------------------
I'M THE BEST CORNER IN THE GAME! WHEN YOU TRY ME WITH A SORRY RECEIVER LIKE CRABTREE, THAT'S THE RESULT YOU GONNA GET! DON'T YOU
EVER TALK ABOUT ME! DON'T YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH ABOUT THE BEST!

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 19 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #3

Veteran

I would take DMac over Vick for more reasons than just talent. I've never been--and still am not--a Vick fan. His speed is incredible (even now). His athleticism is even more impressive. Unfortunately, he's never been--and I don't think he ever will be--a QUARTERBACK.

I'll also never get over the whole dog thing but that's me.

I have my complaints about DMac but I was always a fan of his. He is well past his prime for sure. There were better QBs during his time as well. But I am happy with him overall (SB performance notwithstanding).

+Quote Post
Dreagon
post Feb 20 2012, 03:55 AM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

My initial reaction to reading this was that somebody was trying to troll KAL...

+Quote Post
BirdsWinBaby
post Feb 20 2012, 09:52 AM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

to be fair...if you are gonna hide Dmac's dismal 14TDs and 15 INTs of 2010 by adding the 4-2 from his 6 games in Minn then you have to give Vick the benefit of 2010 as well which puts him at 39TDs and 20INTs which puts the debate to rest...add in Vick's 10 rushing TDs (he is a running QB after all) to only 1 from Dmac and then you really can see the difference

that said, even being compared with a cooked Dmac doesnt look good for Vick and they are both past their prime. Vick better have a great 2012

--------------------
Not content with contending!

+Quote Post
Birdman420
post Feb 20 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #6

Veteran

QUOTE (Dreagon @ Feb 20 2012, 03:55 AM) *
My initial reaction to reading this was that somebody was trying to troll KAL...

lol

+Quote Post
TGryn
post Feb 20 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

While its an unknowable in the end - who can say what McNabb would have done here the last couple of years, running the same offense he's already learned over 10+ years with DJax and Maclin, plus McCoy coming into his own - I think the next question of whether McNabb should be invited back to backup Vick is easier. While I still think DM can be an effective caretaker and not turn the ball over while running Andy's offense, there would be a media firestorm if he came back, and no one would blame Vick for looking over his shoulder at the first sign of trouble. We tossed chemistry out the window last year, and paid the price for it.

Although the backup QB is always the most loved guy on the Eagles, and there would be a strange kind of synchronicity in seeing the fans calling for McNabb, for a change...

--------------------
https://twitter.com/tagryn101
https://www.facebook.com/tagryn

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Feb 21 2012, 09:38 AM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (TGryn @ Feb 20 2012, 04:19 PM) *
Although the backup QB is always the most loved guy on the Eagles, and there would be a strange kind of synchronicity in seeing the fans calling for McNabb, for a change...

Vick struggles one game against the Giants, and all of a sudden you hear calls for #5 coming from the crowd....

*Twilight Zone music playing*

--------------------
I'M THE BEST CORNER IN THE GAME! WHEN YOU TRY ME WITH A SORRY RECEIVER LIKE CRABTREE, THAT'S THE RESULT YOU GONNA GET! DON'T YOU

+Quote Post
PhillyTC
post Feb 22 2012, 08:56 AM
Post #9

Veteran

How? Was McNabb going to be the Head Coach?

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Feb 22 2012, 01:42 PM
Post #10

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (PhillyTC @ Feb 22 2012, 01:56 PM) *
How? Was McNabb going to be the Head Coach?

He'd be better than Reid biggrin.gif

Hey, it's the offseason!

--------------------
"I've been an Eagles fan for so long I can remember when we last went to the Super Bowl."
"The Eagles are hounestly my favourite team. Whom's youres?"
In defence of tent poles since 1776

+Quote Post
koolaidluke
post Feb 22 2012, 02:35 PM
Post #11

Hall of Famer

But that's the problem. The TD/Int ration is probably the origin of the myth that is Donovan McNabb. Donovan does not throw interceptions and is good for at least 1 TD even in his bad games. Then he also occasionally has games (usually just halves, actually) where he'll explode for 3 or 4 TDs. The problem with McNabb is, and has always been, what he does in between those relatively rare periods of dominance. And what he generally does in those times is play like garbage.

The fact that Don doesn't throw picks also is very valuable on a team with a great defense. But when he doesn't have a great D, like this year in Minn or last year in Washington he is exposed for the cosmic fraud that he is. The only year he ever made the playoffs without a good D was his last year with the Eagles by doing his classic Donovan "torch bad defenses and completely implode when D's take away the deep ball" schtick which led us to be annihilated twice in a row by a mediocre Cowboys team.

2003, 2004 and 2008 McNabb was elite. Nobody disputes this. The debate about McNabb has been about the other years. For two of those years (2006, 2007) he wasn't even a top 30 QB. The other years he was no better a passer than Mark Sanchez or Jason Campbell, only less consistent.

--------------------
She laughed when I asked her to prom

I laughed when she begged for her life

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Feb 22 2012, 03:27 PM
Post #12

Hall of Famer

Donovan does not throw interceptions and is good for at least 1 TD even in his bad games.

That would seem to be the definition of a 'good quarterback'

For two of those years (2006, 2007) he wasn't even a top 30 QB. The other years he was no better a passer than Mark Sanchez or Jason Campbell, only less consistent.

I've met many McNabb haters - none of them would say something this stupid. You're trolling I hope.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 22 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #13

Veteran

QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Feb 22 2012, 02:35 PM) *
But that's the problem. The TD/Int ration is probably the origin of the myth that is Donovan McNabb. Donovan does not throw interceptions and is good for at least 1 TD even in his bad games. Then he also occasionally has games (usually just halves, actually) where he'll explode for 3 or 4 TDs. The problem with McNabb is, and has always been, what he does in between those relatively rare periods of dominance. And what he generally does in those times is play like garbage.

The fact that Don doesn't throw picks also is very valuable on a team with a great defense. But when he doesn't have a great D, like this year in Minn or last year in Washington he is exposed for the cosmic fraud that he is. The only year he ever made the playoffs without a good D was his last year with the Eagles by doing his classic Donovan "torch bad defenses and completely implode when D's take away the deep ball" schtick which led us to be annihilated twice in a row by a mediocre Cowboys team.

2003, 2004 and 2008 McNabb was elite. Nobody disputes this. The debate about McNabb has been about the other years. For two of those years (2006, 2007) he wasn't even a top 30 QB. The other years he was no better a passer than Mark Sanchez or Jason Campbell, only less consistent.

So, you say he sucks because he wasn't an elite QB and you claim he wasn't a top 30 QB for most of the years he has played (not sure how you're rating him so I can't comment too much on that)? Oh, and you're saying, because he didn't lead teams with bad defenses into the playoffs he sucks? Just want to make sure I've got that right.

+Quote Post
D Rock
post Feb 22 2012, 09:10 PM
Post #14

Resident "Literal Police"

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 22 2012, 09:27 PM) *
That would seem to be the definition of a 'good quarterback'

I've met many McNabb haters - none of them would say something this stupid. You're trolling I hope.....

He's 100% accurate.

--------------------
I'll Drink to That!!!!!

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Feb 22 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #15

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 22 2012, 09:10 PM) *
He's 100% accurate.

Then you're 100% stupid.

Please name the 30 QB's better than him in '06, when he would've gotten MVP votes prior to him going down? He was 18-6 in 10 games, with a 5-4 record. That of course included Matt Bryant's 62-yd. fg, Reid's Chicotwn debacle, and Cole's idiocy handing the Giants a win. Only Brees and Manning would've had better years than him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phits
post Feb 23 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #16

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 22 2012, 10:01 PM) *
Then you're 100% stupid.

cheers.gif

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 1981)

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Feb 23 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #17

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 23 2012, 03:01 AM) *
Then you're 100% stupid.

Koolaidluke yes, but D Rock isn't 100% stupid, just 98% wrong. He needs to work on agreeing with me more eg that McNabb was a damned fine QB for us for many years.

--------------------
"I've been an Eagles fan for so long I can remember when we last went to the Super Bowl."
"The Eagles are hounestly my favourite team. Whom's youres?"
In defence of tent poles since 1776

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Feb 23 2012, 02:24 PM
Post #18

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 23 2012, 01:33 PM) *
Koolaidluke yes, but D Rock isn't 100% stupid, just 98% wrong. He needs to work on agreeing with me more eg that McNabb was a damned fine QB for us for many years.

So koolaidluke wasn't trolling? Ugh.

The McNabb hatred gets old - he wasn't and isn't a natural leader, he's not the Elway drive 99 yards to win kind of guy. But he was an excellent game manager, and he was a winner, def one of the best Eagles we've seen. Our inability to beat elite teams with him under center hasn't changed with Vick or anyone else under center so I don't think he was the problem, really he wasn't utilized properly, as I don't think Vick is. That directs blame towards you-know-who, but I'm not a Reid hater either, I just think his expiration date has passed and we need a change at HC. But when I hear someone say he wasn't a top30 qb in '06 when he would've been in the running for MVP prior to injury, it's just blind hatred. Or trolling.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 10:24 AM