IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> Current cap room, OK, but not exceptional
TGryn
post Feb 7 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #1

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_footb...012-season.html

Has us at:

WORKING ON A BUDGET

Teams that aren't up against the cap, but need to make smart moves to avoid trimming a ton of players and salaries.

...Philadelphia Eagles $113,964,694...

Redskins have about $9 million more in space than the Eagles, Giants about $11 million less, and Dallas about $15 million less. As the article says, though, there'll be a lot of flux in this as teams get rid of pricey veterans and restructure contracts.

What's also interesting from that list are the Bengals, who are $12 million below any other team. There is a minimum cap requirement in the new CBA, but it doesn't go into effect until 2013.

--------------------
https://twitter.com/tagryn101
https://www.facebook.com/tagryn
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Feb 7 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #2

Illegal Alien

Then again, what needs do we have?

Extend McCoy (expensive) and Mathis (reasonable) and bring in a veteran at LB and S. Trading Samuel will help free up some room, which would help towards franchising Jackson.

We can use the draft to get another two LBs and maybe Jackson's replacement.

--------------------
"I've been an Eagles fan for so long I can remember when we last went to the Super Bowl."
"The Eagles are hounestly my favourite team. Whom's youres?"
In defence of tent poles since 1776

+Quote Post
TGryn
post Feb 7 2012, 03:48 PM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

Point taken, although I'd rather get two vet LBs if at all possible. The only 'backer I'd really feel OK without bringing in serious competition for is Rolle.

We're gonna need some backup OL if both Justice and Dunlap depart, too.

I'd also like to see them up pony up for a veteran P to push Henry, who was close to last in net yards per punt. I think he got off easy with how much else was messed up on the team, but when the guy does worse than the player he was replacing (Rocca), that's not good enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Birdman420
post Feb 7 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #4

Veteran

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 7 2012, 02:12 PM) *
Then again, what needs do we have?

Extend McCoy (expensive) and Mathis (reasonable) and bring in a veteran at LB and S. Trading Samuel will help free up some room, which would help towards franchising Jackson.

We can use the draft to get another two LBs and maybe Jackson's replacement.

This should be our blueprint for next year

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Feb 8 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #5

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (TGryn @ Feb 7 2012, 08:48 PM) *
Point taken, although I'd rather get two vet LBs if at all possible. The only 'backer I'd really feel OK without bringing in serious competition for is Rolle.

We're gonna need some backup OL if both Justice and Dunlap depart, too.

I'd also like to see them up pony up for a veteran P to push Henry, who was close to last in net yards per punt. I think he got off easy with how much else was messed up on the team, but when the guy does worse than the player he was replacing (Rocca), that's not good enough.

Our views at LB aren't that dissimilar, although I'd take Kuechly in round one and another in rounds 2-3 in preference to a second veteran.

I'd be confident in Mudd developing young OLs for depth.

Interesting on Henry though. Didn't realise he'd been so poor.

--------------------
"I've been an Eagles fan for so long I can remember when we last went to the Super Bowl."

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Feb 8 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #6

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 8 2012, 01:40 PM) *
Our views at LB aren't that dissimilar, although I'd take Kuechly in round one and another in rounds 2-3 in preference to a second veteran.

I'd be confident in Mudd developing young OLs for depth.

Hey, new here.

I agree with what you say, but I don't think it's realistic the Eagles will all of a sudden value LB enough to take one in the first round. They would probably go after a S or OL first, which would be fine by me. I wouldn't be surprised with a WR picked first either.

--------------------
I'M THE BEST CORNER IN THE GAME! WHEN YOU TRY ME WITH A SORRY RECEIVER LIKE CRABTREE, THAT'S THE RESULT YOU GONNA GET! DON'T YOU
EVER TALK ABOUT ME! DON'T YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH ABOUT THE BEST!

+Quote Post
_KAMELOT_
post Feb 8 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

We need to send Justice home...he earns a lot of money and he's no better than Dunlap. Herremans is fine and Dunlap is an ok backup, why the hell we pay so much money to Winston "Revolving Door" Justice?

--------------------
Set the flag and carry on, carry on into unknown...with honour we will not walk away.

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Feb 8 2012, 08:14 PM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (_KAMELOT_ @ Feb 8 2012, 08:03 PM) *
We need to send Justice home...he earns a lot of money and he's no better than Dunlap. Herremans is fine and Dunlap is an ok backup, why the hell we pay so much money to Winston "Revolving Door" Justice?

Hear hear - nobody can deny the job Mudd and Washburn have done on both sides of the ball - get rid of this dead weight, we don't need him.

--------------------
I'M THE BEST CORNER IN THE GAME! WHEN YOU TRY ME WITH A SORRY RECEIVER LIKE CRABTREE, THAT'S THE RESULT YOU GONNA GET! DON'T YOU

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Feb 9 2012, 01:36 PM
Post #9

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 8 2012, 07:59 PM) *
Hey, new here.

I agree with what you say, but I don't think it's realistic the Eagles will all of a sudden value LB enough to take one in the first round. They would probably go after a S or OL first, which would be fine by me. I wouldn't be surprised with a WR picked first either.

:welcome: biggrin.gif

S would mean a lot of youth back there - two third years (Allen, ColemanO and a second year (Jarrett) who spend his rookie season on the bench. I'd rather have a veteran added.

OL is suffciently strong if we can keep Mathis, and the only issue would be depth which I'd be pissed if we spent a first rounder on given our other needs.

WR I could live with if Jackson leaves. I'm still trying to make my mind up on whether to keep him.

LB though trumps all of the above.

PS: We'll get on fine providing you don't remind me I wanted Justice in the first round and was delighted to get him with our second!

--------------------

+Quote Post
GQSmooth
post Feb 10 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #10

JoeBall Special is Served

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 8 2012, 02:59 PM) *
Hey, new here.

I have argued for a safety all season, but this year's safety class sucks. The MLB aren't any better once you get past Kuechly(sp?). Some one made an interesting recognition, all the best LBs come out the southwest. I forget where I read it but it makes me revalue the LBs. Chaney needs someone to push him especially if its true he had surgery for a ruptured disc.

I'd like to see the Eagles look for a tight end to draft Celek is getting up there in age and we could use more talent to push HArbor.

--------------------
Twitter: @PHLMerc "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"-- Joe Banner

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Feb 10 2012, 05:04 PM
Post #11

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Feb 10 2012, 04:08 PM) *
Some one made an interesting recognition, all the best LBs come out the southwest

I'd like to read that if you can find it - unless 'USC' is what you mean by 'southwest.' The schools famous for delivering star LBs are USC, obviously Miami, Ohio State, and a few others. Penn State used to be a big LB school too, though not anymore.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sandor
post Feb 11 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #12

I Need Help

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 10 2012, 05:04 PM) *
I'd like to read that if you can find it - unless 'USC' is what you mean by 'southwest.' The schools famous for delivering star LBs are USC, obviously Miami, Ohio State, and a few others. Penn State used to be a big LB school too, though not anymore.

Let's see...
2011 All pro LBs
1st Team - Terrell Suggs (Arizona), DeMarcus Ware (Troy [Alabama]), Patrick Willis (Ole Miss), NaVorro Bowman (Penn St), Derrick Johnson (Texas)
2nd Team - Tamba Hali (Penn St), Von Miller (Texas A&M), Brian Cushing (USC), London Fletcher (John Carroll [Ohio])
2010 All pro LBs
1st Team - Clay Mathews Jr (USC), James Harrison (Kent St [Ohio]), Patrick Willis (Ole Miss), Jerod Mayo (Tennessee)
2nd Team - Cameron Wake (Penn St), DeMarcus Ware (Troy [Alabama]), Brian Urlacher (Utah), Ray Lewis (Miami)

Thus, from this small sample one can conclude that the "best" LBs are still coming from Penn State.

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Feb 11 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #13

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Sandor @ Feb 11 2012, 11:25 AM) *
Let's see...
2011 All pro LBs
1st Team - Terrell Suggs (Arizona), DeMarcus Ware (Troy [Alabama]), Patrick Willis (Ole Miss), NaVorro Bowman (Penn St), Derrick Johnson (Texas)
2nd Team - Tamba Hali (Penn St), Von Miller (Texas A&M), Brian Cushing (USC), London Fletcher (John Carroll [Ohio])
2010 All pro LBs
1st Team - Clay Mathews Jr (USC), James Harrison (Kent St [Ohio]), Patrick Willis (Ole Miss), Jerod Mayo (Tennessee)
2nd Team - Cameron Wake (Penn St), DeMarcus Ware (Troy [Alabama]), Brian Urlacher (Utah), Ray Lewis (Miami)

Thus, from this small sample one can conclude that the "best" LBs are still coming from Penn State.

I misspoke (mistyped) - I meant that PSU used to be THE school for linebackers, known as 'linbacker u.' - now there's a few schools that are as proficient. But yeah Bowman and Wake are 2 of the top 5 LBs in the NFL.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TGryn
post Feb 12 2012, 05:55 PM
Post #14

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Feb 10 2012, 01:08 PM) *
I'd like to see the Eagles look for a tight end to draft Celek is getting up there in age and we could use more talent to push HArbor.

Huh? huh.gif Celek's only 27, which is only three years older than Harbor. Barring injury, they should be able to get another three or four good starting years out of him.

I think with Gronkowski and Fernandez showing the value of having two good TEs, plus that the TE can be the #1 receiver in a winning offense, tight ends are going to be at a premium in this coming draft, so it may be harder than usual to find a decent one that way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reality Fan
post Feb 16 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #15

Keeper Of The Truth

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 10 2012, 05:04 PM) *
Penn State used to be a big LB school too, though not anymore.

Really? Bowman, an All Pro, Posluszny, Bills defensive MVP and team captain(although he has been snakebit with injuries), Lee is a stud in Dallas

Dan Connor is a stud but is coming off injury and Tamba Hali I won't count even though he was all pro at LB last year.....he was moved there from DE to paly in a 3-4.

The LB demise at Penn State is clearly not happening yet.....Bryan Scott, Josh Hull and Tim Shaw are also hanging on in the league

--------------------
The sooner you agree with me, the sooner you'll be right.

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Feb 16 2012, 08:25 PM
Post #16

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Feb 16 2012, 08:06 PM) *
Really? Bowman, an All Pro, Posluszny, Bills defensive MVP and team captain(although he has been snakebit with injuries), Lee is a stud in Dallas

Dan Connor is a stud but is coming off injury and Tamba Hali I won't count even though he was all pro at LB last year.....he was moved there from DE to paly in a 3-4.

The LB demise at Penn State is clearly not happening yet.....Bryan Scott, Josh Hull and Tim Shaw are also hanging on in the league

You skipped a couple of posts here.

I misspoke (mistyped) - I meant that PSU used to be THE school for linebackers, known as 'linbacker u.' - now there's a few schools that are as proficient. But yeah Bowman and Wake are 2 of the top 5 LBs in the NFL.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reality Fan
post Feb 16 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #17

Keeper Of The Truth

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Feb 16 2012, 08:25 PM) *
You skipped a couple of posts here.

My apologies......and also my mistake

--------------------
The sooner you agree with me, the sooner you'll be right.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 02:43 AM