IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> Is Tom Coughlin Hall of Fame worthy?
Phits
post Jan 30 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #1

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

He's easily the best coach in the division and probably the best HC in the conference....but is he HOF worthy?
"This team, forget confidence. Walk into the locker room and meeting room, and everyone's on board. This is everything he's ever wanted as a coach. It's a testimony to him.

"He knew exactly what he was doing, exactly how he wanted to do it," said Steve Spagnuolo, who was in his first season as the Giants' defensive coordinator in 2007. "He took input from his veteran leadership group. He knew how we would handle the week, and you just got the feeling as an assistant and as a player that the man that was leading us knew exactly what he was doing.

LINK

The 2 best coaches in the league going head to head in the SB..... **sigh**

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 1981)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dreagon
post Jan 30 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #2

Hall of Famer

Well, if he adds another Lombardi to his resume he will be surefire candidate. Yet it always seems like he gets his team up for a Super Bowl when they're just getting ready to fire him.

+Quote Post
TGryn
post Jan 31 2012, 06:32 AM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. As of today, he still only has one Lombardi trophy to his name (one less than Shanahan) and the same number of Super Bowl appearances as Reid, and his W-L record is only 0.555, which puts him behind both Reid and Shanahan. It would require at least three, preferably 4+, Lombardis to get HoF consideration in my book.

+Quote Post
GQSmooth
post Jan 31 2012, 10:36 AM
Post #4

JoeBall Special is Served

Yet there are some here that say Reid is HOF worthy with just 1 SB win huh.gif

--------------------
Twitter: @PHLMerc "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"-- Joe Banner

+Quote Post
Phits
post Jan 31 2012, 10:39 AM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (TGryn @ Jan 31 2012, 06:32 AM) *
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. As of today, he still only has one Lombardi trophy to his name (one less than Shanahan) and the same number of Super Bowl appearances as Reid, and his W-L record is only 0.555, which puts him behind both Reid and Shanahan. It would require at least three, preferably 4+, Lombardis to get HoF consideration in my book.

3-4 Lombardi's to even get consideration?? Don't let your hatred for the Giants cloud your judgement. Shanahan is not the coach he once was, and Reid's best days seem to be behind him.

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 1981)

+Quote Post
TGryn
post Jan 31 2012, 10:57 AM
Post #6

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 31 2012, 08:39 AM) *
3-4 Lombardi's to even get consideration?? Don't let your hatred for the Giants cloud your judgement. Shanahan is not the coach he once was, and Reid's best days seem to be behind him.

There's 21 total coaches in the HoF:

With few exceptions, you have to have won the championship multiple times and/or had decades-long periods of sustained success AND have introduced some innovation into the game to make it into the HoF as a coach. To cite an example, Jimmy Johnson also has two Lombardis but he's a marginal HoF candidate at best.

EDIT: Coughlin deserves a lot of credit for being able to adapt his coaching style to what NFL players require - the disciplinarian tactics that worked at BC eventually failed in Jacksonville and were failing with the Giants, so he changed and that's when they started winning. However, that doesn't make one a HoF level coach, either.

+Quote Post
D Rock
post Jan 31 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #7

Resident "Literal Police"

QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 31 2012, 03:26 AM) *
He's easily the best coach in the division and probably the best HC in the conference....but is he HOF worthy?

LINK

The 2 best coaches in the league going head to head in the SB..... **sigh**

WIth a win on Sunday, I'd say "yes."

That said, his team has done nearly as many late season swoons as the cowgirls under Tom's regime. He's had 2 stellar years, but has often seemed on the verge of losing his team during the Kiki Barbara and Gap Toothed Strahan days.

To his credit, he softened his former drill sarg. approach and won back his players.

I think the Vagiants success when compared with our lack of the same has more to do with great personnel decisions and drafting than greater coaching.

--------------------
I'll Drink to That!!!!!

+Quote Post
Phits
post Jan 31 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (D Rock @ Jan 31 2012, 12:42 PM) *
I think the Vagiants success when compared with our lack of the same has more to do with great personnel decisions and drafting than greater coaching.

I think it's a combination of the 2. "Great" players only become great when they produce on the field. That usually happens when they get great coaching. The reincarnation of Jason Babin is a great example of such. Had he remained an Eagle with his first run, he probably wouldn't be the player he is today.

Coughlin plays to his teams strengths and the organization is great with developing their players.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sandor
post Jan 31 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #9

I Need Help

What's the difference between a two Lombardi Coughlin and a two Lombardi Parcells?

Also, why is George Allen in the HOF? blink.gif

+Quote Post
TGryn
post Jan 31 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #10

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Sandor @ Jan 31 2012, 04:09 PM) *
What's the difference between a two Lombardi Coughlin and a two Lombardi Parcells?

In terms of the HoF, not much yet, since Parcells isn't in either (although he's made the final 15 list for this year). BP has about 50 more games under his belt and a slightly higher winning percentage (57% vs. 55.5%). From the HoF profile that's up for him, the selling point for him seems to be that he turned around four different losing teams.

Same reason Madden is in: extremely high regular season winning percentage. Among all coaches, Madden is 2nd highest (76.3%), Allen 4th (71.2%).

+Quote Post
Dreagon
post Feb 1 2012, 01:07 AM
Post #11

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Sandor @ Jan 31 2012, 05:09 PM) *

Two Lombardi Coughlin learned under two Lombardi Parcells. So did three Lombardi Belichek. Parcells has quite a legacy when you start adding it all up.

+Quote Post
D Rock
post Feb 1 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #12

Resident "Literal Police"

He's also a huge douche.

-just saying-

--------------------
I'll Drink to That!!!!!

+Quote Post
TGryn
post Feb 4 2012, 11:14 PM
Post #13

Hall of Famer

Pat Kirwan at nfl.com thinks that with a win tomorrow, Coughlin deserves to get into the HoF.

Parcells did not make it this year.

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 5 2012, 09:02 AM
Post #14

Veteran

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 1 2012, 11:36 AM) *
He's also a huge douche.

-just saying-

LMAO!!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 01:15 PM