IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> Two reasons to believe in Two ...
One
post Feb 14 2018, 07:03 AM
Post #1

Zero retired

Group: Members

Super Bowl repeats are pretty rare, but not unheard of and not impossible for the Eagles. Two big reasons I think there's a good chance of a repeat are Carson and Doug.

Wentz has to be driven to be the guy leading his team in the Super Bowl instead of watching from the sidelines. He's the team's leader and he'll transfer that drive to his teammates. Add Peters to that formula too. Maybe two of the most respected leaders on the team and two of their best players missed playing in the Super Bowl.

The chances that their drive falls on deaf ears is diminished by the culture Pederson has built. One of the big strengths of this team, beyond the talent and the Xs and Os is the family, the unselfishness of the players.

We'll see how they handle success, but I'm guessing they'll still feel disrespected somehow and use it as more motivation. Seeing how the players come back for OTA's and TC will be pretty interesting.

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
samaroo
post Feb 15 2018, 12:59 AM
Post #2

Village Idiot

QUOTE (One @ Feb 14 2018, 09:03 PM) *
Super Bowl repeats are pretty rare, but not unheard of and not impossible for the Eagles. Two big reasons I think there's a good chance of a repeat are Carson and Doug.

Wentz has to be driven to be the guy leading his team in the Super Bowl instead of watching from the sidelines. He's the team's leader and he'll transfer that drive to his teammates. Add Peters to that formula too. Maybe two of the most respected leaders on the team and two of their best players missed playing in the Super Bowl.

The chances that their drive falls on deaf ears is diminished by the culture Pederson has built. One of the big strengths of this team, beyond the talent and the Xs and Os is the family, the unselfishness of the players.

We'll see how they handle success, but I'm guessing they'll still feel disrespected somehow and use it as more motivation. Seeing how the players come back for OTA's and TC will be pretty interesting.

I also get the feeling (and I'm not dissing Doug here at all) that a lot of the leadership comes from the players themselves. JP, Carson, Malcom, these guys are leaders that the team listens to, so it's not always Dad telling the kids to go to bed, it's self-policing, which is much easier to swallow for a lot of people.

--------------------
Fly. Eagles fly!

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 15 2018, 05:49 AM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

I think Wentz has something to prove. I think it's burning inside him that he wasn't able to finish what he started. I get the feeling he believes this should have been HIS SB--and I can't disagree.

I also think Pederson has created a culture which players are having fun while working hard. It's difficult to find that culture and make it work at this level. The Patriots win but they certainly don't look like they had the fun the Eagles had this season. Watching the Eagles was like watching a bunch of kids just going out, playing and enjoying themselves while taking care of each other. The Patriots are very methodical and get the job done (not this year though!!!!) but the players don't seem to genuinely like each other like the Eagles seemed to LOVE each other.

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 15 2018, 07:23 AM
Post #4

Zero retired

QUOTE (samaroo @ Feb 15 2018, 12:59 AM) *
I also get the feeling (and I'm not dissing Doug here at all) that a lot of the leadership comes from the players themselves. JP, Carson, Malcom, these guys are leaders that the team listens to, so it's not always Dad telling the kids to go to bed, it's self-policing, which is much easier to swallow for a lot of people.

This is a great point, and something that makes the players feel empowered. This is their team, not just a team they're playing for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
samaroo
post Feb 16 2018, 08:05 AM
Post #5

Village Idiot

QUOTE (One @ Feb 15 2018, 09:23 PM) *
This is a great point, and something that makes the players feel empowered. This is their team, not just a team they're playing for.

Yep. It's a great team, without any major caveats in the character department. They are so easy to root for. I'm trying to think of a team they remind me of in the past and am coming up empty. Man this is a time to be a fan!

--------------------
Fly. Eagles fly!

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 16 2018, 08:15 AM
Post #6

Zero retired

QUOTE (samaroo @ Feb 16 2018, 08:05 AM) *
Yep. It's a great team, without any major caveats in the character department. They are so easy to root for. I'm trying to think of a team they remind me of in the past and am coming up empty. Man this is a time to be a fan!
How about the '93 Phils?

--------------------

+Quote Post
samaroo
post Feb 16 2018, 08:24 AM
Post #7

Village Idiot

QUOTE (One @ Feb 16 2018, 10:15 PM) *
How about the '93 Phils?

I'm not the biggest baseball fan, and don't remember the team that well, but I'll take your word for it.

But the mix of (good - natured) swagger without cancerous selfishness, plus a pinch of humbleness and a boatload of talent, I don't know who they're like. Themselves, I guess.

They're like the Jimmy Johnson hurricanes, but not assholes.

--------------------
Fly. Eagles fly!

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Feb 16 2018, 10:29 AM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

I think the biggest reasons for a possible repeat trip to the SB next year are the O and D Lines. They don't have extreme age there other than Peters and maybe C Long. You can't expect Kelce to be as good at his age.

Secondary, probably the team's weakest group might not be improved next year. The assumed loss of P Robinson in the slot will likely weaken the team. We'll see if S Jones in his first year of his real action can out-perform Mills. The Safeties will be a year older, not a year better. I assume C Graham will not fit under the cap. He played well, probably better than the less expensive J Watkins. We'll see if R Douglas gets PT as a S.

LB is dicey due to Kendrick's cap hit, Bradham's FA, Hick's health and lack of quality depth. I hope they use a high draft pick on a LB.

I think WR will be okay without T Smith and RB will be okay without Blount and Sproles, however, I'm not so sure they'll be better without them.

TE is a big question mark. I assume they can't afford to keep both Burton and Celek? CW really trusted Burton. I hope he stays but some think the Eagles will not be able to afford either.

I can't imagine the losses in the coaching staff will make this easier. It seems they had a great chemistry.

Trading Nick would make things easier due to the additional $5mil in cap space and extra 2nd day pick.

QUOTE (One @ Feb 14 2018, 07:03 AM) *

+Quote Post
rumply
post Feb 16 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #9

Veteran

I'm reserving my expectations for next season until I see how the birds salary cap issues shake out. So far I've heard speculation on Peters, Smith, Curry, Foles, Burton, Blount, Celek, restructuring Cox & I'm sure there are others that will have to be adressed.

Team harmony is a delicate beast & while I'd hate to see any players moved on, I doubt the FO will have any choice.

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 17 2018, 12:10 AM
Post #10

Hall of Famer

Every team always talks about a repeat. I think our thoughts of a repeat are better founded than most.

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2018 - 11:56 AM