IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
- nephillymike   One Sobering Subject We Need To Consider   Feb 13 2018, 09:06 PM
- - One   Not a whole lot different than what Eli and the lo...   Feb 13 2018, 09:34 PM
|- - nephillymike   QUOTE (One @ Feb 13 2018, 09:34 PM) Not a...   Feb 14 2018, 06:18 AM
- - Joegrane   and that was after M Jenkins made the play of the ...   Feb 13 2018, 09:52 PM
- - The Franchise   The Pats have always had a killer offensive line -...   Feb 13 2018, 11:18 PM
|- - One   QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 13 2018, 11:18...   Feb 14 2018, 05:54 AM
- - HobbEs   Our defense got shredded by Brady...not like it go...   Feb 14 2018, 09:14 AM
- - D Rock   He secondary was held together w bubble gum and ta...   Feb 14 2018, 10:41 AM
|- - Eyrie   QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 14 2018, 03:41 PM) He...   Feb 14 2018, 03:06 PM
|- - mcnabbulous   QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 14 2018, 09:41 AM) He...   Feb 15 2018, 01:39 PM
|- - Phits   QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 15 2018, 01:39 P...   Feb 16 2018, 12:13 PM
- - rumply   The Superbowl is a different game though, anything...   Feb 14 2018, 03:42 PM
- - samaroo   Rumply has a good point. Also, some games just go...   Feb 15 2018, 01:03 AM
|- - Rick   QUOTE (samaroo @ Feb 15 2018, 01:03 AM) R...   Feb 15 2018, 05:46 AM
|- - One   QUOTE (Rick @ Feb 15 2018, 05:46 AM) The ...   Feb 15 2018, 07:25 AM
|- - Rick   QUOTE (One @ Feb 15 2018, 07:25 AM) I thi...   Feb 15 2018, 10:09 AM
- - CT_Eagle   The biggest weakness is the secondary. Hopefully J...   Feb 15 2018, 10:56 AM
- - Joegrane   D Rock, what is your take on Darby? Eagles need ...   Feb 15 2018, 11:04 AM
> One Sobering Subject We Need To Consider, It Could Have Big Draft Ramifications
nephillymike
post Feb 13 2018, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

Group: Members

Our defense got absolutely destroyed by the Pats.

A below average OL gave an immobile 40 year old QB (yeah, he's pretty good) a decent amount of time to throw the ball consistently down field and not the quick two step drop.

He threw the ball to wide open receivers running free all around the secondary.

Why?

600 yards.

Why.

Who on that defense is not good enough?

What were the defensive coaches thinking?

What positions do we need to address in the draft to make up for it?

It wasn't Brady threading the needle all day.

It was him throwing to wide open receivers all night long.

And if not for one strip by BG that just got there, we would be suicidal about now.

We need to find out why.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 13 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #2

Zero retired

Not a whole lot different than what Eli and the lousy Giants did ... right?

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Feb 13 2018, 09:52 PM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

and that was after M Jenkins made the play of the game. He knocked out Cooks. It certainly would have been worse without that knockout.

Part of that is Brady. Part of that is the good Pat's O Line in pass protection. Part of it is the Eagles so so back end of the D.

I'm not that concerned. They did well most of the season and they should be as good next year. They don't have many 30 yrs olds on that D. There are a few young guys who have upside. I bet they will draft a young LB either with their first pick or the pick for Foles ( Get used to that. it will happen. Foles is a NFL starter )

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 13 2018, 09:06 PM) *

A below average OL gave an immobile 40 year old QB (yeah, he's pretty good) a decent amount of time to throw the ball consistently down field and not the quick two step drop.

He threw the ball to wide open receivers running free all around the secondary.

Why?

600 yards.

Why.

Who on that defense is not good enough?

What were the defensive coaches thinking?

What positions do we need to address in the draft to make up for it?

It wasn't Brady threading the needle all day.

It was him throwing to wide open receivers all night long.

And if not for one strip by BG that just got there, we would be suicidal about now.

We need to find out why.

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 13 2018, 11:18 PM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

The Pats have always had a killer offensive line - that's why Brady is 40 and still favored to win rings. Our defense made plays when they needed to, though both defenses had a shitty game overall.

Here's my concern - NOTHING! WE FUCKING WON!

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 14 2018, 05:54 AM
Post #5

Zero retired

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 13 2018, 11:18 PM) *
The Pats have always had a killer offensive line - that's why Brady is 40 and still favored to win rings. Our defense made plays when they needed to, though both defenses had a shitty game overall.

Here's my concern - NOTHING! WE FUCKING WON!

Or, both offenses had great games. Pats had the top rated offense and the Eagles #7 ... #2 and #3 in the post season behind only Pitts ... and, the game was well coached except for Belicheat keeping one of his best CBs on the bench.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 14 2018, 06:18 AM
Post #6

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

QUOTE (One @ Feb 13 2018, 09:34 PM) *
Not a whole lot different than what Eli and the lousy Giants did ... right?

I think there were differences.

Eli was mostly a two step drop, get rid of the ball in less than 2.5,seconds very short slant routes type of deal. There were a few double moves we bit on, but for the most part, his completions were closely contested.

While they didn't take all day to throw the ball, Brady stood back there 3-4 seconds and threw the ball all over the secondary to receivers who were wide open all day and had a ton of YAC. I could see if the receptions were closely contested but they weren't. What did we have, one strip and one sack? We gave up 613 yards versus the low 400's for the NYG. The Pats line was not a good one this year and was thought to be something we could capitalize on.

We've seen much tape on our offensive success, I would like to see the what's and whys of our defensive struggles.

+Quote Post
HobbEs
post Feb 14 2018, 09:14 AM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

Our defense got shredded by Brady...not like it got shredded by Bobby Hoying. If THAT were the case there would be cause for concern. It stepped up when it needed to and we got the strip-sack that sealed it for us.

Brady shreds a lot of defenses. What did Matt Ryan & Case Keenum do against us? Nothing to see here. Time to move on...

+Quote Post
D Rock
post Feb 14 2018, 10:41 AM
Post #8

Resident "Literal Police"

He secondary was held together w bubble gum and tape.

Mills just isn’t good. Darby was terrible (go back and watch).

They were protected by the pass rush all year.

No idea how/why the pass rush vanished tho.

--------------------
I'll Drink to That!!!!!

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Feb 14 2018, 03:06 PM
Post #9

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 14 2018, 03:41 PM) *

Agreed.

We have a lot riding on Jones being anywhere close to the level he was projected to reach before the injury.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!

+Quote Post
rumply
post Feb 14 2018, 03:42 PM
Post #10

Veteran

The Superbowl is a different game though, anything can happen & it did! No defensive concerns should be arising out of that game alone.

+Quote Post
samaroo
post Feb 15 2018, 01:03 AM
Post #11

Village Idiot

Rumply has a good point. Also, some games just go differently. The SB was a track meet from the opening whistle. Some games are like that. And others end up 6-3. It was one game, which we won. Our D looked pretty good for the majority of the year. It looked bad against the best offense of the last 15 years. I'll take it.

--------------------
Fly. Eagles fly!

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 15 2018, 05:46 AM
Post #12

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (samaroo @ Feb 15 2018, 01:03 AM) *
Rumply has a good point. Also, some games just go differently. The SB was a track meet from the opening whistle. Some games are like that. And others end up 6-3. It was one game, which we won. Our D looked pretty good for the majority of the year. It looked bad against the best offense of the last 15 years. I'll take it.

The Giants' games were alarming until you realize they are a divisional foe. A rivalry game.

The SB was, as you say, just different from the start.

With that said, I don't think it's wrong to believe they can improve the secondary. But I'm not losing sleep over it.

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 15 2018, 07:25 AM
Post #13

Zero retired

QUOTE (Rick @ Feb 15 2018, 05:46 AM) *
The Giants' games were alarming until you realize they are a divisional foe. A rivalry game.

The SB was, as you say, just different from the start.

With that said, I don't think it's wrong to believe they can improve the secondary. But I'm not losing sleep over it.
I think some of the problem also came from the LBs. Without Hicks the coverage wasn't the same. I wish he could stay healthy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 15 2018, 10:09 AM
Post #14

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (One @ Feb 15 2018, 07:25 AM) *
I think some of the problem also came from the LBs. Without Hicks the coverage wasn't the same. I wish he could stay healthy.

Agreed. If he can stay healthy I think he'll be a huge star.

+Quote Post
CT_Eagle
post Feb 15 2018, 10:56 AM
Post #15

Hall of Famer

The biggest weakness is the secondary. Hopefully Jones shores that up. I was not impressed with Darby but if Jones can handle the #1 then maybe Darby can handle the #2. Mills is good enough as the nickel corner. Hopefully Robertson returns as well.

I am concerned about Hicks at LBer. I don't question his talent but his first two season in the league he ended up on the IR. I fear he may become our Sean Lee. Hopefully the injuries are done.

I am not worried about the DL at all.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Feb 15 2018, 11:04 AM
Post #16

Hall of Famer

D Rock, what is your take on Darby? Eagles need him to be solid.

Mills would be a good backup CB. He battles, competes, rarely does bonehead things, but has no speed. However he had back to back bad plays in the SB, including bouncing off a RB on one of their TDs.

It will be interesting to see what happens next year at CB. I assume Jones and Darby will start outside. One commentator said Mills will be even more vulnerable as slot CB due to lack of speed. R Douglass might be a good option on 3rd down and in Red zone against bigger WRs. I thought we might see him lined up against Gronk at times.

I think Tim J was nicked up. He lacked explosive plays for most of the last third of the season, and that was while playing next to a guy the opponent had to double team.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 14 2018, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 13 2018, 09:06 PM) *

We need to find out why.

+Quote Post
mcnabbulous
post Feb 15 2018, 01:39 PM
Post #17

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 14 2018, 09:41 AM) *

I think it's this. Darby was abysmal that night. Mills is what he is.

I think our DL was actually okay that night, but Brady is simply incredible in the pocket. His ability to make little moves to buy himself time are unprecedented.

Unless you can get to the QB, your DBs are almost always going to be screwed.

But who gives a shit. We won. We fucking won the SB. Still can't believe it at times.

I don't think I'll ever have football anxiety every again.

+Quote Post
Phits
post Feb 16 2018, 12:13 PM
Post #18

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 15 2018, 01:39 PM) *
But who gives a shit. We won. We fucking won the SB. Still can't believe it at times.

I don't think I'll ever have football anxiety every again.

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 1981)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2018 - 01:11 PM