IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
- One   Reich to Colts?   Feb 11 2018, 01:44 PM
- - One   And here ...   Feb 11 2018, 01:50 PM
- - nephillymike   Say it ain't so! We are already weeks beh...   Feb 11 2018, 01:50 PM
|- - One   QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 11 2018, 01:50 ...   Feb 11 2018, 01:56 PM
|- - nephillymike   QUOTE (One @ Feb 11 2018, 01:56 PM) I won...   Feb 11 2018, 01:58 PM
- - The Franchise   Meh. Cool guy, thanks for being part of the champ...   Feb 11 2018, 02:02 PM
|- - eagle60   QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 11 2018, 02:02...   Feb 11 2018, 02:19 PM
|- - One   QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 11 2018, 02:19 PM) I...   Feb 11 2018, 02:23 PM
||- - The Franchise   QUOTE (One @ Feb 11 2018, 03:23 PM) If it...   Feb 11 2018, 02:41 PM
|- - The Franchise   QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 11 2018, 03:19 PM) I...   Feb 11 2018, 02:45 PM
|- - eagle60   QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 11 2018, 02:45...   Feb 11 2018, 06:29 PM
|- - Phits   I think the idea is that DP is willing to listen t...   Feb 11 2018, 07:22 PM
|- - eagle60   QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 11 2018, 07:22 PM) I t...   Feb 11 2018, 07:46 PM
|- - Phits   QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 11 2018, 07:46 PM) T...   Feb 11 2018, 08:17 PM
|- - eagle60   QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 11 2018, 08:17 PM) The...   Feb 11 2018, 09:03 PM
|- - Rick   QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 11 2018, 08:17 PM) The...   Feb 12 2018, 06:05 AM
|- - One   QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 11 2018, 08:17 PM) The...   Feb 12 2018, 07:33 AM
- - nephillymike   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/...ext-h...   Feb 11 2018, 03:39 PM
- - The Franchise   QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 11 2018, 04:39 ...   Feb 11 2018, 03:55 PM
> Reich to Colts?
One
post Feb 11 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Zero retired

Group: Members

Linc ...

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 11 2018, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Zero retired

And here ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 11 2018, 01:50 PM
Post #3

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

Say it ain't so!

We are already weeks behind in prep for next year.

We don't need any more distractions dammit!

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 11 2018, 01:56 PM
Post #4

Zero retired

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 11 2018, 01:50 PM) *
Say it ain't so!

We are already weeks behind in prep for next year.

We don't need any more distractions dammit!

I wonder if there's a new CEO over at Axis, LTD yet laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 11 2018, 01:58 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (One @ Feb 11 2018, 01:56 PM) *
I wonder if there's a new CEO over at Axis, LTD yet laugh.gif

Didn't you hear?

We had to close our doors!

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 11 2018, 02:02 PM
Post #6

Hall of Famer

Meh.

Cool guy, thanks for being part of the championship, but I'd view this about as important as losing Brad Childress.

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 11 2018, 02:19 PM
Post #7

Veteran

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 11 2018, 02:02 PM) *
Meh.

Cool guy, thanks for being part of the championship, but I'd view this about as important as losing Brad Childress.

I think Childress leaving really hurt Reid because the place turned into Air Reid after Chilly left. Reid said that Chilly was always his "conscience" when it came to running the ball. Reich has been around a long time and Doug trusted him very much and the two worked together well. I think that he and Flip had much more responsibilities than people realize. There is much more to being an OC than calling plays. They were all together for two years and the transition is not going to be automatic.

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 11 2018, 02:23 PM
Post #8

Zero retired

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 11 2018, 02:19 PM) *
I think Childress leaving really hurt Reid because the place turned into Air Reid after Chilly left. Reid said that Chilly was always his "conscience" when it came to running the ball. Reich has been around a long time and Doug trusted him very much and the two worked together well. I think that he and Flip had much more responsibilities than people realize. There is much more to being an OC than calling plays. They were all together for two years and the transition is not going to be automatic.

If it happens, I hope it's quick so they can keep Duce. There's been a bit of chatter the past two years about how good of a coach/teacher he is, how smart he is and how he motivates his players. It would be much more problematic if they lose all three coaches (Flip, Reich and Duce) than if they keep some continuity. I'd like to see what Duce can do as OC, and I think the troika of Pederson, Reich and Flip did it's job with Wentz.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 11 2018, 02:41 PM
Post #9

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (One @ Feb 11 2018, 03:23 PM) *
If it happens, I hope it's quick so they can keep Duce. There's been a bit of chatter the past two years about how good of a coach/teacher he is, how smart he is and how he motivates his players. It would be much more problematic if they lose all three coaches (Flip, Reich and Duce) than if they keep some continuity. I'd like to see what Duce can do as OC, and I think the troika of Pederson, Reich and Flip did it's job with Wentz.

I think the only chance of in-house promotion is Duce, and I'd be fine with him getting a crack at OC. I'd wager an outsider will be brought in though, if Reich leaves.

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 11 2018, 02:45 PM
Post #10

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 11 2018, 03:19 PM) *
I think Childress leaving really hurt Reid because the place turned into Air Reid after Chilly left. Reid said that Chilly was always his "conscience" when it came to running the ball.

That part I've heard, but as we've seen in the ensuing 13 years, it didn't really matter. Pederson's play calling has been superb, and he doesn't need a 'conscience.'

--------------------

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 11 2018, 03:39 PM
Post #11

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/...ext-head-coach/

Seems official.

Damn.

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 11 2018, 03:55 PM
Post #12

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 11 2018, 04:39 PM) *

Good for him. Win a ring, then next year get to coach Luck. Maybe they'll take the Pats out next year in the playoffs instead of us having to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 11 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #13

Veteran

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 11 2018, 02:45 PM) *
That part I've heard, but as we've seen in the ensuing 13 years, it didn't really matter. Pederson's play calling has been superb, and he doesn't need a 'conscience.'

Nobody is saying that he does and he's a great play caller. But that offense changed every week this year. They started the year with the only running plays they could even gain a yard on were traps. Everything was man to man. That got better and they would flip flop back and forth with the run game each week. Towards the end of the year it was a lot of wham plays and traps with the rb. He showed them something different each week. If Doug came up with all of that stuff on his own then maybe you're right. I know that Stoutland, Reich and Flip all had different responsibilities in both the running and passing games but they had a huge input into plans. Duce said that he knew that because his suggestions were in the game plan every week. It's not as smooth as you're making it out to be Franch. There has to be a lot of trust involved and I don't think that comes as soon as a guy gets hired.

+Quote Post
Phits
post Feb 11 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #14

Hall of Famer

I think the idea is that DP is willing to listen to the feedback from his coaches and assistants and implement the strategies into the game plan.

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 11 2018, 06:29 PM) *
Nobody is saying that he does and he's a great play caller. But that offense changed every week this year. They started the year with the only running plays they could even gain a yard on were traps. Everything was man to man. That got better and they would flip flop back and forth with the run game each week. Towards the end of the year it was a lot of wham plays and traps with the rb. He showed them something different each week. If Doug came up with all of that stuff on his own then maybe you're right. I know that Stoutland, Reich and Flip all had different responsibilities in both the running and passing games but they had a huge input into plans. Duce said that he knew that because his suggestions were in the game plan every week. It's not as smooth as you're making it out to be Franch. There has to be a lot of trust involved and I don't think that comes as soon as a guy gets hired.

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 – 1981)

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 11 2018, 07:46 PM
Post #15

Veteran

QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 11 2018, 07:22 PM) *
I think the idea is that DP is willing to listen to the feedback from his coaches and assistants and implement the strategies into the game plan.

Here's what Tommy Lawler thinks about replacements:

Reich to the Colts
Posted: February 11th, 2018 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 84 Comments

The next shoe has fallen.

Congrats to Frank. He was a terrific assistant for the Eagles, helping to develop star QBs and build a championship offense.

Doug Pederson now has a major challenge, trying to replace his offensive coordinator and QBs coach. Let’s start by talking about internal candidates.

Many people have asked about Duce Staley moving into the role of OC. I don’t think that is likely. He has never run an offense or had extensive experience with building a gameplan. Staley is highly regarded by the Eagles for his ability to manage his RBs and for his leadership skills. Gameplanning isn’t his area of expertise. Even with the run game, Jeff Stoutland is the one who really puts those plays together and then works with Pederson and the OC.

Staley had a long NFL career and has been a good assistant coach for a while. It is possible that Pederson could feel Staley is ready for the challenge of being the OC. Pederson isn’t afraid to take chances, with his players or staff. I don’t see this as likely, but it certainly isn’t impossible.

Mike Groh was an OC at the college level. He played QB in college and has a good offensive mind. Moving him to OC would be a steep promotion, but after he just did a brilliant job with the WRs nothing is out of the question. As with Staley, this doesn’t feel like a likely move.

If Pederson does decide to move Groh to being the QBs coach, that could affect his thinking on the rest of the staff. If he made Staley the OC, he would be making significant changes to several positions. That doesn’t seem like a wise scenario for a team that wants to compete for another title. You would have a new OC, QB, WR and RBs coach in that scenario. That’s too much movement in my mind.

The more you think about it, the more it makes sense to bring in an outsider to be the OC. Darrell Bevell makes the most sense. He was just let go by Seattle, but did have success there, helping them to win a Super Bowl and just miss out on another. Bevell worked for the Packers from 2000-2005. He worked directly with Pederson from 2001-2004. Bevell then went to the Vikings from 2006-2010, before moving on to Seattle, where he had his most success.

Bevell wouldn’t come here to call plays. He would be here to help design gameplans and to work on whatever specific situations Pederson assigned him (3rd downs for example). Bevell knows Pederson and has plenty of NFL experience.

Mike Shula could be another name of interest. He and Pederson crossed paths with the Dolphins in the early 1990s. Shula struggled to get the Panthers offense to perform at a consistent level, but certainly was creative and did some good things with Cam Newton and that offense. They led the NFL in scoring in 2015.

Todd Downing would be someone to check out, for either OC or QBs coach. He did a great job with Derek Carr in 2015 and 2016. Downing was made the OC in 2017 and the offense struggled. Not all of that is on him, but it appeared play-calling wasn’t his strength. That wouldn’t be an issue in Philly, where Pederson runs the show on Sundays. Downing is a good coach and certainly knows how to prepare for games.

I wonder if John Morton could be a target. He did an excellent job with a very questionable Jets offense this past season, but then was fired at the end of the year. That leaves plenty of tough questions. He has experience working with WRs and could be a possibility for that role if Mike Groh does get the QBs position.

I would give Bevell and Shula an advantage here because Pederson seems to like former QBs for his staff. Bevell was excellent at Wisconsin, but never got a shot in the NFL so he went right into coaching. Shula was good at Alabama and did get an NFL shot, but moved to coaching after just one season.

One thing to keep in mind, Pederson will be looking for the right fit as much as the right resume. Nobody from the NFL was throwing jobs at Reich and Flip when the Eagles hired them. Flip had just gotten fired by the Cleveland Browns (thank you, Hue Jackson)!

These are good problems to have. They are problems, but so much better than “How do I turn 7-9 into 13-3?”.

This is a key time for Pederson. He needs to make the right hires so this team can continue to play at a championship level in the future.

+Quote Post
Phits
post Feb 11 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #16

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Feb 11 2018, 07:46 PM) *
The more you think about it, the more it makes sense to bring in an outsider to be the OC. Darrell Bevell makes the most sense. He was just let go by Seattle, but did have success there, helping them to win a Super Bowl and just miss out on another. Bevell worked for the Packers from 2000-2005. He worked directly with Pederson from 2001-2004. Bevell then went to the Vikings from 2006-2010, before moving on to Seattle, where he had his most success.

The (former) OC from SEA makes 'the most' sense?
^^credibility lost

This is the same Seattle offense that had one (effective) play for years....give the ball to Lynch....and then they didn't give it to him in the most crucial play of their entire season. Since then SEA best play has been to have Wilson improvise. Essentially, they have cut 5 years off of their franchise QB's playing career.

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 – 1981)

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 11 2018, 09:03 PM
Post #17

Veteran

QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 11 2018, 08:17 PM) *
^^credibility lost

This is the same Seattle offense that had one (effective) play for years....give the ball to Lynch....and then they didn't give it to him in the most crucial play of their entire season. Since then SEA best play has been to have Wilson improvise. Essentially, they have cut 5 years off of their franchise QB's playing career.

I was thinking the same thing. Then again he wouldn't be calling plays here (maybe that's why Fip took the Viking job). I'm sure that Groh wants some kind of promotion (QB coach?) but you hate to have to move too many people around.

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 12 2018, 06:05 AM
Post #18

Hall of Famer

^^credibility lost

Exactly, I kinda stopped reading after that.

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 12 2018, 07:33 AM
Post #19

Zero retired

^^credibility lost

I guess we have to know what his responsibilities would be. Pederson obviously calls the plays, but if his OC is primarily responsible for helping devise a game plan and to focus on specific game instances that could open it up for other prospects.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2018 - 01:17 AM