IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> One Revelation from The Parade
nephillymike
post Feb 11 2018, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

Group: Members

Either my music tastes are way out of style (very possible) or the guy who did the mix for the parade was a little off the mark ( not likely).

Now as far as my music tastes, my listening is about 50% classic rock, 20% Oldies, 15% Alternative rock and 10% Soul/Motown, 5% country.

Now at the parade, it was probably 5% classic rock, 10% classic disco type dance, 10% pop and 75% hip hop or new R&B.

The songs that I heard that would be on my playlist were few:

We are the Champions
Fly Like an Eagle
Don't Stop Believing ( a redo by somebody else)
Oh What a Night

That's all that I remember that would make my playlist.

Now I can enjoy The Fresh Prince of BelAir song and know most of the words, was able to simultanoeuosly impress and embarrass my kids with my rendition of Sugar Hill gang Rappers Delight, Apache, The Humpty Dance and few others, but for the most part I felt like an out of place old white dude at a frat party at an inner city college. But heres the thing,even though it was over 80% white of the parade goers I saw, all of the younger people were signing the rap and hip hop the way we used to sing the rock and disco songs back in the day. And I knew very little. That Meel Mill song that it the Eagles anthem, nope, don't know it.

So on the way home, I ask my kids about it. I have one out of college two years, and two at Temple. They said that is all you hear at college parties. That the mix was representative of that. Classic rock is frowned upon and God forbid if you request a country song!

I feel like the former poster Zero, out of touch and old. ac6.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Feb 11 2018, 11:25 AM
Post #2

Veteran

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 11 2018, 11:21 AM) *
Either my music tastes are way out of style (very possible) or the guy who did the mix for the parade was a little off the mark ( not likely).

Now as far as my music tastes, my listening is about 50% classic rock, 20% Oldies, 15% Alternative rock and 10% Soul/Motown, 5% country.

Now at the parade, it was probably 5% classic rock, 10% classic disco type dance, 10% pop and 75% hip hop or new R&B.

The songs that I heard that would be on my playlist were few:

We are the Champions
Fly Like an Eagle
Don't Stop Believing ( a redo by somebody else)
Oh What a Night

That's all that I remember that would make my playlist.

Now I can enjoy The Fresh Prince of BelAir song and know most of the words, was able to simultanoeuosly impress and embarrass my kids with my rendition of Sugar Hill gang Rappers Delight, Apache, The Humpty Dance and few others, but for the most part I felt like an out of place old white dude at a frat party at an inner city college. But heres the thing,even though it was over 80% white of the parade goers I saw, all of the younger people were signing the rap and hip hop the way we used to sing the rock and disco songs back in the day. And I knew very little. That Meel Mill song that it the Eagles anthem, nope, don't know it.

So on the way home, I ask my kids about it. I have one out of college two years, and two at Temple. They said that is all you hear at college parties. That the mix was representative of that. Classic rock is frowned upon and God forbid if you request a country song!

Join the club Mike, nobody beats the clock.

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 11 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

I'm a bit different. 48 and still listen to the heavy/hard stuff. Slip Knot--love 'em. Old school--Pantera, Rage Against the Machine. Love Machinehead. I could go on.

I'm also into old school rap. That's what I was into during high school. But I like some of the newer stuff but so much music has gone pop and I HATE pop almost as much as I hate country. And I REALLY hate country music.

So, while I'm old, I'm not out of touch, just hate the popular stuff. Always have. Probably always will.

+Quote Post
Pila
post Feb 11 2018, 12:05 PM
Post #4

Eusébio

No one is immune to generational fossilizing.

Take consolence in the fact that you aren't the first, and most certainly will not be the last.

--------------------
[img]http://dreadart67.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/benfica-2008-ii.jpg[/img]

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Feb 11 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #5

Illegal Alien

Kids today don't listen to music, it's all just noise.

Mind you, my parents probably said the same thing thirty plus years ago. And I'm still listening to the same broad range of music now that I did back then - metal, punk, thrash and rock. Mostly the same bands as well, come to think of it, so I'm probably one of Pila's fossils.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!

+Quote Post
One
post Feb 11 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #6

Zero retired

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Feb 11 2018, 11:21 AM) *

laugh.gif It's great, isn't it! Especially with hearing and marriage. laugh.gif

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.

+Quote Post
Pila
post Feb 11 2018, 04:36 PM
Post #7

Eusébio

I have never cared for pop. Now is no exception. I have always appreciated music with a bit of an odd or rebellious edge. A radicalism of sorts. A disgust for convention and conformity. I think art needs that more than just personal struggle, albeit sometimes that works too. But to me that isn't as appealing as social recklessness.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 11 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Pila @ Feb 11 2018, 04:36 PM) *
I have never cared for pop. Now is no exception. I have always appreciated music with a bit of an odd or rebellious edge. A radicalism of sorts. A disgust for convention and conformity. I think art needs that more than just personal struggle, albeit sometimes that works too. But to me that isn't as appealing as social recklessness.

Well-said. I get why artists make that garbage--it sells--but I hate it. That's why I listen to the stuff I listen to, it still has meaning, soul, etc. Pop is, well, nothing.

+Quote Post
Pila
post Feb 11 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #9

Eusébio

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Feb 11 2018, 08:09 PM) *
Kids today don't listen to music, it's all just noise.

Mind you, my parents probably said the same thing thirty plus years ago. And I'm still listening to the same broad range of music now that I did back then - metal, punk, thrash and rock. Mostly the same bands as well, come to think of it, so I'm probably one of Pila's fossils.

Your parents most certainly did. As did mine.

I'm not quite at the noise think yet, but I'm already at the rolling of the eyes thing when the youngest Pilinha and Mrs. Pila start blasting Pop crap. But that's probably the stage just before everything starts sounding like static.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phits
post Feb 11 2018, 08:24 PM
Post #10

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Pila @ Feb 11 2018, 08:09 PM) *
Your parents most certainly did. As did mine.

I'm not quite at the noise think yet, but I'm already at the rolling of the eyes thing when the youngest Pilinha and Mrs. Pila start blasting Pop crap. But that's probably the stage just before everything starts sounding like static.

What constitutes "Pop" music? Isn't it just popular music? Phil Collins/Genesis? U2? Is Jay Z 'pop music'?

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 – 1981)

+Quote Post
Pila
post Feb 11 2018, 08:34 PM
Post #11

Eusébio

QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 12 2018, 02:24 AM) *
What constitutes "Pop" music? Isn't it just popular music? Phil Collins/Genesis? U2? Is Jay Z 'pop music'?

That's a good question.

I'm not sure we could get any two people to agree. But for me, by default, is shit I don't like but it's on the fucking radio ad nauseam. wink.gif lol

But given more serious thought, I think of pop in terms of boy bands, lip synching and choreographed dancing shit. Might not be limited to that, but I think I'd start there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phits
post Feb 11 2018, 08:46 PM
Post #12

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Pila @ Feb 11 2018, 08:34 PM) *
That's a good question.

I'm not sure we could get any two people to agree. But for me, by default, is shit I don't like but it's on the fucking radio ad nauseam. wink.gif lol

But given more serious thought, I think of pop in terms of boy bands, lip synching and choreographed dancing shit. Might not be limited to that, but I think I'd start there.

I just let music programs help with my music selection. Whatever algorithm they use seems to suit my taste. I prefer Spotify and the "daily selection". I am always pleasantly surprised by the majority of music pre-selected for me.

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 – 1981)

+Quote Post
Pila
post Feb 11 2018, 09:12 PM
Post #13

Eusébio

QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 12 2018, 02:46 AM) *
I just let music programs help with my music selection. Whatever algorithm they use seems to suit my taste. I prefer Spotify and the "daily selection". I am always pleasantly surprised by the majority of music pre-selected for me.

I imagine it builds a profile simply from your listening history.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 12 2018, 06:03 AM
Post #14

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Phits @ Feb 11 2018, 08:24 PM) *

We used to call it Top 40.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2018 - 06:11 PM