IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> DeVante Bausby, I had never heard of him before we picked him up
eagle60
post Jun 13 2018, 12:12 PM
Post #1

Veteran

Group: Members

Fourth-year cornerback DeVante Bausby has become a surprise option. After spending time on the scout team last year, Bausby is catching the coach’s eyes this spring.

“He’s a smart guy and is ultra competitive. Baus is leading our board right now. We have a board for production, and he has a nice lead,” Undlin said.

Seeing Bausby actually execute the Eagles defense rather than emulate the opposing defense from week to week last year has allowed the coaching staff to honestly see what he can do.

More:

De'Vante Bausby shows versatility in his push for roster spot

By: Turron Davenport | May 30, 2018 6:05 am ET

There is a logjam in the Eagles’ secondary as OTAs continue to unfold. Philadelphia has plenty of cornerbacks that could comfortably start for them on game day.

RELATED
Turron the Scene Eagles 3 and OUT: Week 2 of Eagles OTAs
While all of the attention is being paid to Sidney Jones, Jalen Mills and Ronald Darby, fourth-year defensive back De’Vante Bausby is quietly making a push for a roster spot and playing time.

Bausby was a standout during the first day of on-field action during OTAs last week. He worked mostly at left corner and plastered himself to rookie tight end Dallas Goedert, even making an interception in the end zone during 7-on-7 drills.

The time is now for Bausby to show that he is ready to be a contributor. He feels more comfortable on the field, which will only allow him to show the athleticism that took him to from Division II Pittsburg State to the NFL. In 2015, he signed with the Chiefs as an undrafted free agent

“I am going into year four. Some people, it takes them a short period of time to put it all together. Other people, it takes longer,” Bausby said at his locker after practice on Tuesday. “I have been through systems and through teams. Now I have experience. Route recognition is everything. It’s coming along better for me.”

Before practice on Tuesday, defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz said Bausby was ready to play last year and had the confidence of the coaching staff. Schwartz liked how he gave the offense a good look on the scout team.

When asked on Tuesday what he likes most about Bausby, Schwartz quickly pointed out a trait that he first saw in cornerback Jalen Mills a couple of years ago.

RELATED
Eagles CB Sidney Jones is looking to make 2018 his year
“He’s a competitive player. He’s a very, very competitive player,” Schwartz said. “He’s got good size, but his competitiveness stands out. You guys will see that. I’m excited about him.”

Bausby worked at left and right cornerback last week and got the chance to work inside on Tuesday. That will enhance his value to the coaching staff.

“I am getting some nickel work too. I want to show that versatility to the guys upstairs. They need to see that I can do both inside and outside without having any mental lapses or anything like that,” Bausby said.

The decision to work at nickel was mutual between Bausby and the coaches. Having lost Patrick Robinson in free agency, the Eagles needed someone to step up as the nickel corner, so Bausby went to the coaches and they wanted him to get some work there.

Before the offseason, Bausby hadn’t worked inside before, but he feels his athleticism will help him immensely once he gets the mental side of things down.

“Knowing what I am doing, it allows me to play more to my athleticism. It’s all mental. You have to know what you’re doing,” Bausby said. “On run plays, you have to know what gaps to fit. If you get stacks or bunches, you have to know what tools to use for that. It’s all mental.”

Bausby showed that he is starting to get a good grasp of things during practice on Tuesday. On one play in the red zone team period, Bausby and Ronald Darby had two receivers to their side.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
One
post Jun 13 2018, 01:09 PM
Post #2

Zero retired

I'm anxious to how he does with pads on. He came into the league in 2015 which makes this his fourth year.

--------------------
No one likes us, we don't care.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Jun 13 2018, 01:56 PM
Post #3

Illegal Alien

His performances have been getting a lot of good reports, with the usual caveat about no pads at this point in the off season.

I hadn't realised though that he was in his fourth year in the league, which lowers my expectations.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Jun 13 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

Expectations? Isn't he just competing for the game-day inactive DB ?

After a few years maybe he has matured physically, has learned the D and now is ready to contribute on a cap-limited team.

A pre-draft report
http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofil...5&genpos=CB

He was only 177 lbs but 6-1, only 4,58 in the 40

He should be able to push the midround CB pick this year,

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 13 2018, 02:56 PM) *
His performances have been getting a lot of good reports, with the usual caveat about no pads at this point in the off season.

I hadn't realised though that he was in his fourth year in the league, which lowers my expectations.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 13 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #5

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

This is an excellent development.

Hope he keeps it up.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Jun 14 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #6

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 14 2018, 12:00 AM) *
Expectations? Isn't he just competing for the game-day inactive DB ?

After a few years maybe he has matured physically, has learned the D and now is ready to contribute on a cap-limited team.

A pre-draft report
http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofil...5&genpos=CB

He was only 177 lbs but 6-1, only 4,58 in the 40

He should be able to push the midround CB pick this year,

Reading the reports he seems to be a genuine contender as our nickel, hence my "expectations".

But the fact that he hasn't made it anywhere else means that he's more likely to be a back up than to be a late developer. The question then is whether we carry a back up nickel on the roster.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Jun 14 2018, 04:21 PM
Post #7

Veteran

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 14 2018, 03:09 PM) *
Reading the reports he seems to be a genuine contender as our nickel, hence my "expectations".

But the fact that he hasn't made it anywhere else means that he's more likely to be a back up than to be a late developer. The question then is whether we carry a back up nickel on the roster.

If they go light anywhere this year it will probably be linebacker as long as Jenkins is around.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2018 - 08:50 AM