IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> Good Article on the Front Office Upheaval
nephillymike
post Jan 3 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Token Axis Member

Group: Members

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/01/...houghts-eagles/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zero
post Jan 3 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #2

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

Hard to believe that Howie was all that good at personnel if Lurie bumped him. If it was an ultimatum by Chip, why would he take that stand if Howie's personnel decisions were solid? It sounds like Howie had Jeff's ear and confidence until Chip showed him the other side of the mirror at which time Jeff said "holy shit!"

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jan 3 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #3

Token Axis Member

I found it telling that Lurie said "after meeting with senior mgt".

Ed Marynowitz, who was Gamble's assistant is rumored to have a shot and apparently has a good working relationship with Chip. Got to pull for the guy as he is a LaSalle alum!! (and only 30 yrs old!)

I hear you.

If it was Chip who made the bumbles of late, I can't see Lurie doing this. If Howie was hitting homeruns, I can't see him doing this.

I'll stand by what I said previously. The way Chip talked, his brutal honesty with how much the rookies needed to improve to see playing time, did not sound like someone trying to defend his own picks. I just think he would have been much more diplomatic as opposed to brutally honest if he had ownership.

Maybe it was Gamble who petitioned for Smith and since he reported to Howie, he got the axe. Maybe it was a done deal when Chip praised the guy and he was trying to build his rep up during a tough time for a friend.

Adam Caplan says that Roseman does have a good eye for talent but "gets in his own way", always trying to do too much instead of just doing his job.

Barrett Brooks on 97.5 told the story today of how when he flew down to the combine with the Eagles group that it was interesting to see Howie and his guys on one side of the plane talking it up and Chip and the coaches not having anything to do with them. Then we hear that Howie's department did the draft board and got pissed off when the coaches changed it. Dysfunctional.

In hearing Diddy today, he said the only successful team was Belicheat that has a structure like this and that all other successes he thinks of had a structure similar to the old one. He also said only Tennebaum in NYJ had a transition from cap/lawyer guy to personnel guy and he had limited success.

Reid was successful with Heckert for a while, then that went bad. Wasn't successful with Banner nor Roseman. If Kelly is all in the scouting, he will probably fail. If he delegates and listens to others, he has a chance to succeed. The worst that can happen is that we don't win a championship for another 54 years............Been there, done that!

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Jan 4 2015, 12:04 PM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 3 2015, 08:45 PM) *
If it was Chip who made the bumbles of late, I can't see Lurie doing this. If Howie was hitting homeruns, I can't see him doing this.

Jeezus you guys..... rolleyes.gif

Chip jabbed at Howie, Howie threw a tantrum and fired Chip's guy, Chip demanded absolute power or else he's gone, and Lurie (knowing there's no way in hell he could have Chip leave, especially for Howie Roseman) caved in. How can reading between the lines be made any easier in this case?

And now we're hearing reports of how Chip wanted Matthews in the first round, and he ranked ODB the best WR of the draft.....what a genius! laugh.gif

Face it, Chip fucked up several personnel decisions, but because he's the guy, he gets absolute power now. Wanting and hoping that it was solely Howie who fucked everything up is as ridiculous as predicting an NFCCG appearance was this year.

--------------------
I'M THE BEST CORNER IN THE GAME! WHEN YOU TRY ME WITH A SORRY RECEIVER LIKE CRABTREE, THAT'S THE RESULT YOU GONNA GET! DON'T YOU
EVER TALK ABOUT ME! DON'T YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH ABOUT THE BEST!

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jan 4 2015, 12:30 PM
Post #5

Token Axis Member

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 4 2015, 12:04 PM) *
Jeezus you guys..... rolleyes.gif

Chip jabbed at Howie, Howie threw a tantrum and fired Chip's guy, Chip demanded absolute power or else he's gone, and Lurie (knowing there's no way in hell he could have Chip leave, especially for Howie Roseman) caved in. How can reading between the lines be made any easier in this case?

And now we're hearing reports of how Chip wanted Matthews in the first round, and he ranked ODB the best WR of the draft.....what a genius! laugh.gif

Face it, Chip fucked up several personnel decisions, but because he's the guy, he gets absolute power now. Wanting and hoping that it was solely Howie who fucked everything up is as ridiculous as predicting an NFCCG appearance was this year.

You know what doesn't make sense?

Although Gamble reported to Howie, Howie would have needed Lurie's OK to fire him. NFW he does it without that being so. So the tantrum thing would have to be approved by Lurie. I doubt he would have approved a firing in haste. I think Gamble was already gone and Chip was just building up a loyal friend during his press conference. Think about it. "If Tom wants to persue a GM job, I will support him in doing so". In other words, Gamble already asked for one here and was told no. The tiff between Howie and Gamble just came to a head Tuesday night and instead of being employed while he looked for GMships elsewhere, they had him leave.

If Lurie agreed with getting Howie out of the way and giving Chip more say in personnel, he wouldn't have given him the responsibility to hire the guy. He would have made it a dual responsibility to hire him.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Jan 4 2015, 01:50 PM
Post #6

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 4 2015, 12:30 PM) *
You know what doesn't make sense?

Although Gamble reported to Howie, Howie would have needed Lurie's OK to fire him. NFW he does it without that being so.

I totally disagree.

But if Chip knew about Gamble's imminent departure, and publicly praised him while jabbing at Howie, then this is an even bigger disgrace to the organization.

--------------------
I'M THE BEST CORNER IN THE GAME! WHEN YOU TRY ME WITH A SORRY RECEIVER LIKE CRABTREE, THAT'S THE RESULT YOU GONNA GET! DON'T YOU

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jan 4 2015, 02:04 PM
Post #7

Token Axis Member

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 4 2015, 01:50 PM) *
I totally disagree.

But if Chip knew about Gamble's imminent departure, and publicly praised him while jabbing at Howie, then this is an even bigger disgrace to the organization.

You really think Howie would fire Gamble without consulting with Lurie? That would be a disgrace to the organization.

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Jan 4 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 4 2015, 02:04 PM) *
You really think Howie would fire Gamble without consulting with Lurie? That would be a disgrace to the organization.

You didn't say that, you said he had to get Lurie's OK. All he would've needed to do, and probably did, is pick up a phone and tell Lurie that Gamble was getting the axe. If Lurie objected he could've stopped it, and obviously didn't.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jan 4 2015, 02:39 PM
Post #9

Token Axis Member

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 4 2015, 02:10 PM) *
You didn't say that, you said he had to get Lurie's OK. All he would've needed to do, and probably did, is pick up a phone and tell Lurie that Gamble was getting the axe. If Lurie objected he could've stopped it, and obviously didn't.

So if he picks up the phone and was acting impulsively, Lurie would have stopped it.

But................

If the decision was already made, then the how was not a big factor, thus my theory that it was decided before the actual firing.

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Jan 4 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #10

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 4 2015, 02:39 PM) *
If the decision was already made, then the how was not a big factor, thus my theory that it was decided before the actual firing.

In which case Chip's comments were a disgrace and Howie had every right to be furious, and Lurie caved in after Chip threatened to leave. There's no perfect way of cutting this to make any one of them look good. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jan 4 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #11

Token Axis Member

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 4 2015, 02:56 PM) *
In which case Chip's comments were a disgrace and Howie had every right to be furious, and Lurie caved in after Chip threatened to leave. There's no perfect way of cutting this to make any one of them look good. wink.gif

Not really.

If it was decided and Gamble asked to be GM and was told no, and they came to an agreement that he would leave to pursue other options but they would keep it hush hush for his benefit, then what Chip said about Gamble wasn't that bad as he was trying to help a friend.

Then Tuesday, for whatever reason Howie and Gamble get into it and the amicable parting slant is out the window.

Howie: "You know Tom, your problem was that when you were so demanding for us to take Smith in Round 1, you really left us no choice"

Tom: "But Howie, you didn't object very loudly when I suggested it"

Howie: "True. But in this organization, you can't go out on a limb like that or you lose all assignability of blame to others. for instance, when I picked Watkins, I blamed it on Banner and Andy and I could do that because I wasn't as demanding that we do it. I only stuck my toe in the shallow end"

Tom: "I'll shove that pocket protector so far up your ass you'll be sneezing #2 pencils"

Howie" "Security!!" devil03.gif

+Quote Post
Zero
post Jan 4 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #12

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 4 2015, 02:56 PM) *

You're really going to have to share your inside source with us.

+Quote Post
samaroo
post Jan 5 2015, 01:25 AM
Post #13

Village Idiot

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 5 2015, 06:00 AM) *
Not really.

If it was decided and Gamble asked to be GM and was told no, and they came to an agreement that he would leave to pursue other options but they would keep it hush hush for his benefit, then what Chip said about Gamble wasn't that bad as he was trying to help a friend.

Then Tuesday, for whatever reason Howie and Gamble get into it and the amicable parting slant is out the window.

Howie: "You know Tom, your problem was that when you were so demanding for us to take Smith in Round 1, you really left us no choice"

Tom: "But Howie, you didn't object very loudly when I suggested it"

Howie: "True. But in this organization, you can't go out on a limb like that or you lose all assignability of blame to others. for instance, when I picked Watkins, I blamed it on Banner and Andy and I could do that because I wasn't as demanding that we do it. I only stuck my toe in the shallow end"

Tom: "I'll shove that pocket protector so far up your ass you'll be sneezing #2 pencils"

Howie" "Security!!" devil03.gif

Hahahahaha!!! This is awesome! You should do a comic strip of this stuff! laugh.gif

--------------------
"If you listen to the fans, you'll end up sitting with them."

-Joe Kuharich

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Jan 5 2015, 10:55 AM
Post #14

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 4 2015, 04:00 PM) *

Yeah - except he then went on to jab at Howie. Which is my whole freaking point - if it was known, he was praising Gamble and jabbing at Howie before the firing took place. What's so hard about this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phits
post Jan 5 2015, 03:36 PM
Post #15

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 5 2015, 10:55 AM) *
Yeah - except he then went on to jab at Howie. Which is my whole freaking point - if it was known, he was praising Gamble and jabbing at Howie before the firing took place. What's so hard about this?

What was the jab at Roseman?

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 1981)

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Jan 5 2015, 03:47 PM
Post #16

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 5 2015, 03:36 PM) *
What was the jab at Roseman?

Read any of the threads on the topic over the last few days and get back to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phits
post Jan 5 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #17

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 5 2015, 03:47 PM) *
Read any of the threads on the topic over the last few days and get back to me.

-nm

--------------------
"Bless my eyes this morning, Jah sun is on the rise once again. The way earthly things are going, anything can happen." Robert Nesta Marley (1945 1981)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 12:13 PM