IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> NFL found 11 of 12 Patriots footballs under-inflated, Bill Beli-cheat & The Cheatriots Are At It Again...
JeeQ
post Jan 21 2015, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

The New England Patriots may have some explaining to do.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.com, the NFL has found that 11 of the 12 football used by the New England Patriots in Sunday’s AFC Championship game against the Indianapolis Colts were under-inflated by two pounds each.

The Colts noticed one of the Patriots footballs was abnormal after linebacker D’Qwell Jackson intercepted Tom Brady. The issue was then relayed up through the organization and ultimately to the league, who began an investigation into the situation.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick declined to comment on the investigation. Per Mortensen, the league has no further comment on the investigation at this time.

Mortensen said on ESPN’s Sportscenter that the investigation is still not complete and the league is still looking to determine how the footballs became underinflated. NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent said on PFT Live on Tuesday the investigation should be concluded within 2-3 days.

Per NFL rules, the footballs must be inflated between 12.5-13.5 pounds per square inch of air pressure.

It seems pretty improbable that mere happenstance would result in 11 of the 12 footballs being under-inflated without outside factors. While the blame for the deflated footballs has yet to be assigned, the Patriots won’t get much in the way of benefit of the doubt due to previous issues.

Makes you wonder how much cheating they do that doesn't get discovered laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Jan 21 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #2

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (JeeQ @ Jan 21 2015, 10:53 AM) *
Makes you wonder how much cheating they do that doesn't get discovered laugh.gif

Not to defend them at all, but if a player can discern that a ball is deflated from making one catch (the interception), shouldn't the referees, who spot the ball after every play, have been expected to notice something off as well? Don't teams have to submit game balls to the refs for testing hours before the game? And most importantly, when you lose 45-7, who cares?

Nothing to see here. Admittedly, it's fun watching inbred Bostonites get upset when you bring up the fact that they root for cheaters. laugh.gif

--------------------
I'M THE BEST CORNER IN THE GAME! WHEN YOU TRY ME WITH A SORRY RECEIVER LIKE CRABTREE, THAT'S THE RESULT YOU GONNA GET! DON'T YOU
EVER TALK ABOUT ME! DON'T YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH ABOUT THE BEST!

+Quote Post
BirdsWinBaby
post Jan 21 2015, 12:40 PM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 21 2015, 11:07 AM) *
Not to defend them at all, but if a player can discern that a ball is deflated from making one catch (the interception), shouldn't the referees, who spot the ball after every play, have been expected to notice something off as well? Don't teams have to submit game balls to the refs for testing hours before the game? And most importantly, when you lose 45-7, who cares?

Nothing to see here. Admittedly, it's fun watching inbred Bostonites get upset when you bring up the fact that they root for cheaters. laugh.gif

I can accept that a ref who is only handling the ball to spot it would not put the same stress on the ball as a guy running with it or squeezing it to prevent fumbling or catching it.

Refs do see the balls before the game but then they are placed on the sideline in the care of an attendant....unbelievably, that attendant is not an league employee. He works for the team. That's likely to change

+Quote Post
BirdsWinBaby
post Jan 21 2015, 12:40 PM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jan 21 2015, 11:07 AM) *

I can accept that a ref who is only handling the ball to spot it would not put the same stress on the ball as a guy running with it or squeezing it to prevent fumbling or catching it.

Refs do see the balls before the game but then they are placed on the sideline in the care of an attendant....unbelievably, that attendant is not an league employee. He works for the team. That's likely to change

+Quote Post
Dreagon
post Jan 21 2015, 01:02 PM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

Prepare to be inundated by Pats defenders claiming that everybody does it.

+Quote Post
GroundedBird
post Jan 21 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #6

Veteran

... actually, I would think it dictates the type of plays that would be higher percentage.

I'm no physicist, but I'd think that a more inflated ball would travel further and be harder to catch in cold weather. Also I'd think that field goals wouldn't travel as far using an underinflated ball.

So... if the Pats called more shorter passes than normal or if they passed up obvious field goals then maybe there's a real case.

I'm not sure about the field goals, but I do think they had a lot more shorter passes than normal.

... just saying.

+Quote Post
HOUSEoPAIN
post Jan 21 2015, 02:09 PM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Jan 21 2015, 01:51 PM) *
I'm no physicist, but I'd think that a more inflated ball would travel further and be harder to catch in cold weather. Also I'd think that field goals wouldn't travel as far using an underinflated ball.

Yeah I looked up the advantage of it myself. Phil Simms said that a deflated ball is easier to grip, throw, and catch, and on the other hand apparently Aaron Rodgers has actually tried to get away with overinflating the ball before. *yawn* This whole thing appears to be filler before the Super Bowl.

--------------------
I'M THE BEST CORNER IN THE GAME! WHEN YOU TRY ME WITH A SORRY RECEIVER LIKE CRABTREE, THAT'S THE RESULT YOU GONNA GET! DON'T YOU
EVER TALK ABOUT ME! DON'T YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH ABOUT THE BEST!

+Quote Post
Dreagon
post Jan 21 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #8

Hall of Famer

What concerns me is that the real problem with this scenario is getting lost in the fact that in this case it had little to do with the outcome of the game. There is no way you can blame a blowout on this.

But the problem is that the Patriots had no reason to believe they were going to win by a blowout. This was the AFC Championship and they had to figure on the probability that the other team was good enough to keep up with them, and even beat them. And in the case of a close game between near equal teams, this kind of thing could have affected the outcome of the game. So it really should be taken seriously, since if the Pats did this then they did it with the intent of unfairly beating a team in a game that came down to the wire.

+Quote Post
Zero
post Jan 21 2015, 07:03 PM
Post #9

Soldier #1654 of the Eagle Empire

Right on Dreagon, but the real point is that it's against the rules. Let it go and it's saying that the rules don't matter. I'm sure it didn't affect the outcome ... makes no difference just like a defensive holding call away from the play had nothing to do with the play.

+Quote Post
samaroo
post Jan 21 2015, 07:32 PM
Post #10

Village Idiot

Any institution that generates NFL levels of money runs every decision through the filter of the almighty dollar. This isn't surprising, but it is slightly depressing. I assume the NFL is somewhat corrupt, willfully or not. My fear is that it's way worse than I fear. I have zero faith in Goodell, and the NFL's response to this should be pretty telling.

Pats fans buy a lot of jerseys, after all...

--------------------
"If you listen to the fans, you'll end up sitting with them."

-Joe Kuharich

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 06:03 AM