IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> I went and did it...
Rick
post Jun 25 2018, 06:56 AM
Post #1

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 24 2018, 09:53 AM) *
An engineering course that early? Nice! Yeah, those AP courses come in handy. My older son had 21 college credits before he took his first class. It allowed him to take a lighter course load and study for the actuarial exams while in school. He got four of them out of the way while in school.

When searching for schools for my youngest son, he was going engineering. One difference was that some schools expected you to choose what type of engineering you wanted from day one, and you got admitted to that field. If you switched, it cost you a few courses to switch disciplines. Other schools gave all engineering students an overview course, where the first engineering course gave them exposure to five engineering disciplines and the students didn't choose which field of engineering to major in until after the intro course. Depending on your son's confidence in what field he wants, knowing when you need to declare a discipline may be important.

As far as the ADHD goes, I had an ex boss that had that. He graduated Princeton pre med, became a doctor, was Emergency Department Chief at one of our hospitals. He was then promoted to a Regional Medical Director, then as Executive Director of the 400 million company. He was great to work with. The only time the ADHD came up, is that if he ever got off topic in an important meeting, I and other members of the management team had a code phrase that when he heard it, he knew he needed to get back on topic. After the company was sold, guys from corporate who worked with him for years, never knew he had ADHD. I'm sure your younger son will do well.

Yes, the school they're in is really awesome. They are extremely-advanced. It's a charter school--one of the good ones. It's as good as any private school in the area that I don't pay extra for. smile.gif

He should graduate with enough credits for an Associate's Degree. That's one of the great things about Florida schools, they have AP courses and dual enrollment. He is taking advantage of both.

I told him to think about what he wanted to do when he gets older. And, if earning a lot of money is the goal, pick a degree where you can come out and earn money. He has gravitated towards engineering for years now and he looked at the various types of engineers and found Aerospace engineering pays well and it's something he enjoys. He's the smart one for sure.

He's always been into building/designing things. He did the Lego Robotics competition when he first came to this school He moved to Science Olympiad two years ago and loves it. He gets to work on designing things and working through problems with a group of people. He actually solved one problem they were having before the National Competition. The coach was praising him for solving it. I know I'm bragging on my son but I'm very proud of what he accomplished. Making the National Competition is a HUGE accomplishment. I didn't realize how big that thing is until we were in Colorado at the opening ceremony. It's amazing how big this event is. To make it, the kids are in the top 1% of all kids in the nation for this sort of thing. Something to be proud of.

My other son--with the ADHD--is the one I'll say will probably wind up starting up his own business and being successful. I know I've got some ADHD tendencies--not as bad as my son--and that's what I did. wink.gif Besides, look at most of the guys who run big companies. I think almost all of them have some ADHD. Look at Elon Musk. If that guy isn't ADHD I don't know what it is... smile.gif

The funny thing is, my younger son is the outgoing one--like me--and talks to everyone--like me. The teachers all love him. They all say the same things...he's brilliant, he aces all of the tests but he just doesn't do the work. In school these days, doing the work is almost as important as the tests. This is why he's A/B/C rather than all As.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2018 - 05:42 PM