IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
- Wheeljack   Andy Still Loves Philly   Feb 6 2018, 04:54 PM
- - D Rock   Honestly, I credit DP for drafting of Foles. Ap...   Feb 6 2018, 05:00 PM
|- - nephillymike   QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 6 2018, 05:00 PM) Hon...   Feb 6 2018, 09:45 PM
- - mcnabbulous   Doug may have been more responsible for drafting h...   Feb 6 2018, 11:03 PM
- - Rick   And, as much as I hate to admit it, we must thank ...   Feb 7 2018, 06:00 AM
|- - CT_Eagle   QUOTE (Rick @ Feb 7 2018, 12:00 PM) But y...   Feb 7 2018, 06:07 AM
- - nephillymike   They had Barrett Brooks and Tra Thomas on PST yest...   Feb 7 2018, 06:05 AM
- - D Rock   Sorry, Andy has been gone how long? Andy, who shi...   Feb 7 2018, 10:41 AM
|- - mcnabbulous   QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 7 2018, 09:41 AM) But...   Feb 7 2018, 10:46 AM
- - D Rock   I’ll grant you that a finger print or two remain...   Feb 7 2018, 10:55 AM
|- - mcnabbulous   QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 7 2018, 09:55 AM) I...   Feb 7 2018, 11:16 AM
|- - Joegrane   You are absolutely correct on the positive impact ...   Feb 7 2018, 11:22 AM
- - D Rock   Also, Andy ain’t getting no ring. Why? It’s no...   Feb 7 2018, 11:01 AM
- - mcnabbulous   Case in point... https://twitter.com/tdavenport_n...   Feb 7 2018, 12:39 PM
- - The Franchise   The only reason Doug Pederson ever got a chance to...   Feb 7 2018, 03:05 PM
- - samaroo   QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 8 2018, 05:05 ...   Feb 8 2018, 01:04 AM
- - D Rock   QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 7 2018, 09:05 ...   Feb 8 2018, 01:20 AM
- - The Franchise   QUOTE This is the sweetest part! Or one of th...   Feb 8 2018, 02:45 AM
> Andy Still Loves Philly, even in absentia
Wheeljack
post Feb 6 2018, 04:54 PM
Post #1

Veteran

Group: Members

I made the mistake of watching The History of the Philadelphia Eagles on YouTube

When it got to the Andy part, it was crazy to see how far the team had fallen to that point.
He came to Philly with a game plan to win big. He almost did it. Drafted the right QB (IMO), but missed on a few others.
Owned the Cowboys. Eventually started beating the other NFC East teams. Didn't just get in the playoffs, but WON playoff games. Prior to the Eagles, Andy had no head coaching experience. He was a QB coach and basically a dude on Holmgren's staff who studied the game feverishly.

'02 is generally considered "The Year That Could Have Been"

I think it was '01. If the Eagles just had some better skill players they beat the Rams and maybe the Cheatriots BS doesn't happen. They totally took a crap on Tampa Bay and Chicago. The parallels between that team's rise and this team's rise are there. From crap to playoffs to DEEP playoffs. 2001 McNabb might have been top 3 Eagle ever for me. I wish Andy had realized just how much like Favre Dono really was. I also wish that Andy could adjust for who and what he had more often.

But that's water under the bridge.

There are still a few of Andy's drafts on the improbable Super Bowl squad.

Including Foles. We know what happened there. I remember that draft being the one where I thought the Eagles passed on a future franchise QB in Russell Wilson (who later went on to win a Super Bowl... and lead the only real beat down the Eagles got until the playoffs this season), to get Vinny Curry and Foles. Just like Brandon Graham was thought of being a bust for so many years.

Andy's No. 2 in KC was Doug Pederson, a former QB under Reid, and not with much (or any coaching) experience.
Andy convinced Nick Foles out of retirement.

When Pederson came to the ashes of Philly, the front office maneuvered to draft a QB high. Though the Eagles didn't win much, signs that the QB they picked would be The One were there.

Nick Foles comes back to the Eagles as a backup, possibly on the suggestion of Andy to his former disciple.

Next season, The One (Wentz) leads the Eagles to the #1 seed before going out for the season on injury.
The one Andy believed in, Foles, in backup role struggles to end the season, but lights it up in the playoffs.
Goes to the Super Bowl and with the gutsy playcalling of Pederson, replicates a beat down on the Cheat Gods that Andy's Chiefs put on them in Week 1, bringing Philly its first EVER Super Bowl win.

You can't make this stuff up.

Thank you, Andy Reid.

Thank you.

--------------------
These lines are tapped.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D Rock
post Feb 6 2018, 05:00 PM
Post #2

Resident "Literal Police"

Honestly, I credit DP for drafting of Foles.

Apparently, Doug went on his own accord and worked him out 1-on-1 at his former H.S. in Austin in the months prior to that draft. It was Doug that was jumping up and down on the table about Nick heading into that draft. Stories were, Andy loved Wilson, and was talked into Nick after Russell was off the board.

--------------------
I'll Drink to That!!!!!

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 6 2018, 09:45 PM
Post #3

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 6 2018, 05:00 PM) *
Honestly, I credit DP for drafting of Foles.

Apparently, Doug went on his own accord and worked him out 1-on-1 at his former H.S. in Austin in the months prior to that draft. It was Doug that was jumping up and down on the table about Nick heading into that draft. Stories were, Andy loved Wilson, and was talked into Nick after Russell was off the board.

True.

+Quote Post
mcnabbulous
post Feb 6 2018, 11:03 PM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

Doug may have been more responsible for drafting him, but he might not be playing football anymore if it weren't for Andy.

After three days, Foles left that idyllic setting at peace with his decision. But as he drove back toward civilization his phone regained service, and among the barrage of texts he’d missed was a note from Andy Reid, who’d coached Foles for one year with the Eagles before moving on to lead the Chiefs. Reid complimented Foles’s abilities and referenced his own experience: being pushed out of Philly, the transition, the unknown. “You have a lot of great football left in you,” he wrote.

When Foles called his father at midnight, Larry wondered whether his son was O.K. “Dad, I’m going to Kansas City,” Nick said. “I’m going to play for Andy.”

Link

+Quote Post
Rick
post Feb 7 2018, 06:00 AM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

And, as much as I hate to admit it, we must thank Chip. Why? If he hadn't blown up the roster, we may never had looked to hire Pederson and never looked at getting the other pieces (front office and roster) together which made this team. I'm also thinking the beatings the players took from Chip made them closer and stronger together (the ones who are still here) and maybe that helped make this team so close, which is what I think made them so special.

But yes, AR was great for the City, he just had his flaws, which keeps him from winning it all.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Feb 7 2018, 06:05 AM
Post #6

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

They had Barrett Brooks and Tra Thomas on PST yesterday and they were saying how Chip made it a point that the ex players were not welcome. Tra Thomas was let go as asst coach by him and he said it messed him up and he had to go back home to Florida to get his head on straight.

They say Doug has made them alll welcome and created a family atmosphere with the ex players. They were very appreciative.

+Quote Post
CT_Eagle
post Feb 7 2018, 06:07 AM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Rick @ Feb 7 2018, 12:00 PM) *
But yes, AR was great for the City, he just had his flaws, which keeps him from winning it all.

That about sums it up. I really enjoyed watching the Reid era Eagles. The pickle juice game, 4th & 26, etc are great memories. There are some bad as well but I am not going to dwell on those. I think he went as far as he could go while in Philly and I was ready for him to leave about 2 years before he did. It was the best thing for him and the organization.

+Quote Post
D Rock
post Feb 7 2018, 10:41 AM
Post #8

Sorry, Andy has been gone how long? Andy, who shit the bed with game plan after game plan. Andy, who was posssibly the worst game-day coach we’ve ever had. Andy, who ruined our fairwell party for the Vet.

They were good years. But, they were rife with some of the greatest heartbreaks of our football life, and some of the most baffling, maddening, & gut wrenching play calling in big games we’ll ever see.

Respect to Big Red. But this has NOTHING to do with him.

--------------------
I'll Drink to That!!!!!

+Quote Post
mcnabbulous
post Feb 7 2018, 10:46 AM
Post #9

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 7 2018, 09:41 AM) *
But this has NOTHING to do with him.

This is literally insane.

Andy was/is a flawed coach. But he is hugely responsible for the shape of our franchise.

- Would Doug be our head coach, an NFL head coach, let alone in the NFL, if not for Andy?
- Would Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham be Eagles?
- Would Nick Foles still be playing football?
- Would our franchise value QBs and DL quite the same way?

Hate on Andy the coach all you want, but that famous notebook continues to impact our franchise in positive ways.

+Quote Post
D Rock
post Feb 7 2018, 10:55 AM
Post #10

I’ll grant you that a finger print or two remain on the franchise.

But you gotta grant me that this thing was won by essentially playing the anti Reid on game day.

I’ve always said re: Andy... “best coach in the league Monday through Saturday”

The notebook may continue to impact us in some small ways. Praise Holy Jebus, the coach does not.

That said, valuing QBs and building teams from the inside out is conventional wisdom, not some rare “Reid-ian” revelation.

And if we’re going to go down the evolutionary path, you can’t dismiss the impact the Chippah had here either. The whole RPO portion of the offense is directly attributable to him. I threw up in my mouth writing that, but it’s true.

--------------------
I'll Drink to That!!!!!

+Quote Post
D Rock
post Feb 7 2018, 11:01 AM
Post #11

Also, Andy ain’t getting no ring. Why? It’s not his win. Are you going to go hunt down 53 peewee coaches to shower with praise because DOUG’s team PHINALLY closed the deal and brought us to the promised land?

--------------------
I'll Drink to That!!!!!

+Quote Post
mcnabbulous
post Feb 7 2018, 11:16 AM
Post #12

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 7 2018, 09:55 AM) *

But you gotta grant me that this thing was won by essentially playing the anti Reid on game day.

This wasn't the anti-Reid gameplan. This was an anti-NFL gameplan. No coach coaches like Doug did on Sunday or the rest of the season.

The notebook may continue to impact us in some small ways. Praise Holy Jebus, the coach does not.

Sure, but that's largely what I'm saying. Andy was more than just a coach though. And to suggest Doug the coach wasn't shaped by Andy the coach is silly.

That said, valuing QBs and building teams from the inside out is conventional wisdom, not some rare “Reid-ian” revelation.

Maybe, but our franchise has been more aggressive on those fronts than most others since Reid came to town.

And if we’re going to go down the evolutionary path, you can’t dismiss the impact the Chippah had here either. The whole RPO portion of the offense is directly attributable to him. I threw up in my mouth writing that, but it’s true.

I couldn't agree more. Who knows if Nick Foles excels in Doug's offense had it not been for the two years he spent running many of those concepts in Chips.

In general, it took a lot of things falling into place to get us our ring. And while at times a frustrating ride, who gives a shit because we wouldn't be here if it hadn't played out the way it did.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Feb 7 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #13

Hall of Famer

You are absolutely correct on the positive impact of Chip's RPOs on Nick and his remarkable performance in the playoffs.

Typically by the playoffs opponents have plenty of tape on your team, its tendencies, what tends to work well. Nick changed some of that. Supposedly the coaches went back to the 2013 tape to see what Nick did well.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 7 2018, 10:55 AM) *

I’ve always said re: Andy... “best coach in the league Monday through Saturday”

+Quote Post
mcnabbulous
post Feb 7 2018, 12:39 PM
Post #14

Hall of Famer

Case in point...

https://twitter.com/tdavenport_nfl/status/961257751660912640

Brandon Graham just told me he FaceTimed Trent Cole after the Super Bowl. Thanked him and other past #Eagles players for paving the way.

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 7 2018, 03:05 PM
Post #15

Hall of Famer

The only reason Doug Pederson ever got a chance to sniff the NFL as a coach of any kind is because of Reid, we should acknowledge that. He was coaching high school football when he was brought into the Eagles organization. As an outside observer, if you look at his promotions and path as a coach in the NFL, you would assume he was Reid's son or something, and this was all pure nepotism. No wonder so many people scoffed at his hire, including most of us and myself.

That being said, Pederson won a ring here because he ISN'T Reid. DP took the best part of Reid's coaching style and implemented it, while discarding the worst and adding his own personality and style. On a human level, Reid must be happy for DP, but this has to stick in his gut a bit. To see your protege just waltz into your old franchise and do in 2 years what you couldn't do in 14 + 5? And with several backups, including your former backup QB who you drafted?

We can debate the roster roller coaster that was caused by Chip's incompetence, and Howie's competence. But here we are, clearly the best team in the NFL. While all fans say this after winning one, I believe we aren't done winning either.

P.S. Fuck Chip Kelly. No I don't have to thank him. I hope his team at UCLA shanks him in the shower room.

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post
samaroo
post Feb 8 2018, 01:04 AM
Post #16

Village Idiot

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 8 2018, 05:05 AM) *
But here we are, clearly the best team in the NFL.

This is the sweetest part! Or one of the sweetest parts, anyway. We just beat "The Dynasty" at 80%! We aren't even our own best team yet, and we damn near ran the table! We are about to be the most hated team in the league. Be ready for bandwagon fans and eye-rolling whenever we are mentioned, because I expect a lot of SB appearances in the next decade-plus.

--------------------
Fly. Eagles fly!

+Quote Post
D Rock
post Feb 8 2018, 01:20 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 7 2018, 09:05 PM) *
The only reason Doug Pederson ever got a chance to sniff the NFL as a coach of any kind is because of Reid, we should acknowledge that. He was coaching high school football when he was brought into the Eagles organization. As an outside observer, if you look at this promotions and path as a coach in the NFL, you would assume he was Reid's son or something, and this was all pure nepotism. No wonder so many people scoffed at his hire, including most of us and myself.

That being said, Pederson won a ring here because he ISN'T Reid. DP took the best part of Reid's coaching style and implemented it, while discarding the worst and adding his own personality and style. On a human level, Reid must be happy for DP, but this has to stick in his gut a bit. To see your protege just waltz into your old franchise and do in 2 years what you couldn't do in 14 + 5? And with several backups, including your former backup QB who you drafted?

We can debate the roster roller coaster that was caused by Chip's incompetence, and Howie's competence. But here we are, clearly the best team in the NFL. While all fans say this after winning one, I believe we aren't done winning either.

P.S. Fuck Chip Kelly. No I don't have to thank him. I hope his team at UCLA shanks him in the shower room.

This is... Without a doubt... The singular best post you’ve ever authored here.

cheers.gif

--------------------
I'll Drink to That!!!!!

+Quote Post
The Franchise
post Feb 8 2018, 02:45 AM
Post #18

Hall of Famer

This is the sweetest part! Or one of the sweetest parts, anyway. We just beat "The Dynasty" at 80%! We aren't even our own best team yet, and we damn near ran the table! We are about to be the most hated team in the league. Be ready for bandwagon fans and eye-rolling whenever we are mentioned, because I expect a lot of SB appearances in the next decade-plus.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Feb 8 2018, 01:20 AM) *
This is... Without a doubt... The singular best post you’ve ever authored here.

cheers.gif

cheers.gif jumpclap.gif

--------------------
"If it came down to both teams were even, talent-wise, I think the opponent's team would win if it came down to coaching. Andy Reid got out-coached in a lot of games, man, a lot of big games."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2018 - 05:52 AM