IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> Anyone remember the agony of Ray Rhodes last year here?, Roob does...wow we stank, anyone remember how dismal it was?
Birdwatcher
post Jul 12 2018, 12:41 AM
Post #1

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

I wonder if the Eagles will have a 20th anniversary celebration this year of the 1998 team. That team scored 161 points, third-fewest in NFL history in a 16-game schedule. Their three QBs combined for 7 TDs and 18 interceptions. Offensive coordinator Dana Bible was fired after the Eagles scored just eight TDs in the first six games, and the offense proceeded to score nine touchdowns in 10 games the rest of the year under Bill Musgrave. They scored more than 17 points only once all year. They scored six touchdowns all year on the road. They’re the only NFC team since the inception of the 16-game schedule in 1977 that failed to score more than 21 points all year. They scored three touchdowns in the third quarter all year and were outscored 203-81 in the second half. Bobby Hoying threw nine interceptions without a TD, and is the only QB to do that in the last 40 years. Two years later they went 11-5 and won a playoff game.

It was so bad that an unknown assistant from GB sounded just fine to me, and though he could never cross the finish line, he at least made us respectable and an annual contender. Gotta also thank him for bringing Doug to Philly, just the year after the above mentioned debacle... No one knew that a backup QB from GB who was just a rental to ease McNabb into the game, was really the key to winning our first SB. What a long strange trip its been.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jul 12 2018, 05:20 AM
Post #2

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

Although I remember it being a bad year, I don't remember the offense being historically bad. I thought the offense in 99 was worse. Funny how we block things out. In my mind, some of the early 70s teams were worse. Maybe it was fresh off of two playoff seasons that softened the blow.

I need to go back and check the games for that year.

+Quote Post
Rick
post Jul 12 2018, 05:51 AM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

Yeah, thanks for bringing the room down. I mean, I did everything I could do to forget about that era--along with the Rich Kotite era--and here you come along bringing all of this back up. And after a Super Bowl win.

Come on man!

+Quote Post
Birdwatcher
post Jul 12 2018, 12:30 PM
Post #4

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Rick @ Jul 12 2018, 06:51 AM) *
Yeah, thanks for bringing the room down. I mean, I did everything I could do to forget about that era--along with the Rich Kotite era--and here you come along bringing all of this back up. And after a Super Bowl win.

Come on man!

You clearly have not been around long enough to remember all the pain we old timers have suffered, as Mike points out the early 70s were beyond dismal. Kotite era was pretty bad even though the record does not reveal it, but when you start a season at 7-2 and then lose out to end up 7-9, it is pretty ugly. But that season in 98, 3-13, I think that was where Lurie started heading in the right direction. I wanted to point out the irony that the real catalyst for this year's SB win arrived the year after that putrid season. To me, remembering all the pain we went through only makes the SB win more sweet.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Jul 12 2018, 04:51 PM
Post #5

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Jul 12 2018, 06:30 PM) *
You clearly have not been around long enough to remember all the pain we old timers have suffered, as Mike points out the early 70s were beyond dismal. Kotite era was pretty bad even though the record does not reveal it, but when you start a season at 7-2 and then lose out to end up 7-9, it is pretty ugly. But that season in 98, 3-13, I think that was where Lurie started heading in the right direction. I wanted to point out the irony that the real catalyst for this year's SB win arrived the year after that putrid season. To me, remembering all the pain we went through only makes the SB win more sweet.

I said something similar last year regarding how the pain of waiting makes the eventual victory all the sweeter. The specific example I gave was my "soccer" team finally ending a wait of 114 years to win the Scottish Cup. I've only been an Eagles fan for about thirty years, but even so I can appreciate just how much it meant to those of you who endured the dark days before I'd even heard of the NFL, when we finally ended a 58 year wait to be the NFL champions.

By coincidence, I was at the first game of our season this evening and we cruised to a convincing win.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Jul 13 2018, 11:34 PM
Post #6

Veteran

LOL, I remember them all Mike. The worst were the ones when the Eagles were running around with white hats though. That stretch was the worst in Eagle history.

I also remember that idiot Musgrave making one of the absolute stupidest calls that I've ever seen when he was Bible's assistant. The Eagles had just made a huge gain near the end of the 4th quarter to give them a first down inside the other team's 10 yard line while trailing by 4 points with just about a minute left in the game and the idiot is signaling like crazy for a spike which of course our QB does. Have you ever heard of anything so stupid as to waste a play on the goal line with a minute left in the game on first down? How precious is a down in that part of the field? Now here's the kicker. That genius Kelly hires him back years later as his OC. Now there's a pair for ya.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2018 - 06:44 AM