IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> I went and did it...
Rick
post Jun 23 2018, 01:32 PM
Post #1

Hall of Famer

Group: Members

I saw flights to London from Orlando had dropped this week. Decided this morning to go ahead and book the flight. Taking my 12 year old son who is also a big Eagles fan.

Fist trip to Europe for both of us.

Anyone else here going? Hoping to meet up with fellow Eagles' fans although I'm sure it won't be hard to find some of us out there.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 23 2018, 01:53 PM
Post #2

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

QUOTE (Rick @ Jun 23 2018, 01:32 PM) *
I saw flights to London from Orlando had dropped this week. Decided this morning to go ahead and book the flight. Taking my 12 year old son who is also a big Eagles fan.

Fist trip to Europe for both of us.

Anyone else here going? Hoping to meet up with fellow Eagles' fans although I'm sure it won't be hard to find some of us out there.

That's great Dad and son time.

Have fun.

I heard tickets were tough to get. Have you checked into that?

Me, I'm staying state side. I go to one or two games a year at the Linc, watch a few others at the watering hole, and watch the rest with my sons at home.

If I were to do an away game, I'd prefer a US city that the boys haven't seen yet.

Let us know how you make out for tix.

I checked it out. For the home games, even the cheapest non standing room only seats will set you back about $190 with fees. That's up from about $110 two years ago.

+Quote Post
Rick
post Jun 23 2018, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 23 2018, 01:53 PM) *
That's great Dad and son time.

Have fun.

I heard tickets were tough to get. Have you checked into that?

Me, I'm staying state side. I go to one or two games a year at the Linc, watch a few others at the watering hole, and watch the rest with my sons at home.

If I were to do an away game, I'd prefer a US city that the boys haven't seen yet.

Let us know how you make out for tix.

I checked it out. For the home games, even the cheapest non standing room only seats will set you back about $190 with fees. That's up from about $110 two years ago.

Yeah, plenty of tickets online but not cheap--looking like $350+ right now--but, when will I go again? smile.gif

Neither of us have been to Europe so it'll be fun either way.

I always go to a game or two at the Linc and try to make it to an away game. They'll be in Tampa this year (only 3ish hours from here) so I'll be at that one.

I have planned on going to the opening game to see them raise the banner but not sure I'll be doing that now that I'll be spending a fortune going to London. We'll see. Depends on how business does throughout the summer. It's been good so far but usually slows down in July.

I went to Colorado a few weeks ago with our older son (15 the younger one is 12). His school won the FL State Science Olympiad Competition--first time for his school and any school from this county--so we went to the National Competition. It was in Ft. Collins this year. We stayed a few days after and explored out there. It was his first time out West and seeing real mountains. He loved it. I loved the quality time with him.

I've come to the realization that they won't be around much longer. My older one is an excellent student (3.95 GPA right now and that is weighed down by Spanish--92--and he's done with Spanish.). He wants to be an aerospace engineer so, as long as his grades stay up, I'm guessing he'll be gone as soon as college rolls around. Then the younger ons (not a bad student either) will be soon after that. I figure I need to do this now before it's too late.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Jun 23 2018, 07:24 PM
Post #4

Veteran

VERY COOL Rick! I'm jealous. The only thing that I really know about London is to bring your wallet. The cheapest part of the trip might be the tickets.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 23 2018, 07:46 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Rick @ Jun 23 2018, 07:10 PM) *
Yeah, plenty of tickets online but not cheap--looking like $350+ right now--but, when will I go again? smile.gif

Neither of us have been to Europe so it'll be fun either way.

I always go to a game or two at the Linc and try to make it to an away game. They'll be in Tampa this year (only 3ish hours from here) so I'll be at that one.

I have planned on going to the opening game to see them raise the banner but not sure I'll be doing that now that I'll be spending a fortune going to London. We'll see. Depends on how business does throughout the summer. It's been good so far but usually slows down in July.

I went to Colorado a few weeks ago with our older son (15 the younger one is 12). His school won the FL State Science Olympiad Competition--first time for his school and any school from this county--so we went to the National Competition. It was in Ft. Collins this year. We stayed a few days after and explored out there. It was his first time out West and seeing real mountains. He loved it. I loved the quality time with him.

I've come to the realization that they won't be around much longer. My older one is an excellent student (3.95 GPA right now and that is weighed down by Spanish--92--and he's done with Spanish.). He wants to be an aerospace engineer so, as long as his grades stay up, I'm guessing he'll be gone as soon as college rolls around. Then the younger ons (not a bad student either) will be soon after that. I figure I need to do this now before it's too late.

Ouch, is that $350 each?

Great idea spending time with the boys. Mine are 22 and 20, my daughter 24. The 22 yr old starts his job as an actuary this Monday. The youngest is entering his junior year in engineering. My daughter just finished her second year as an English teacher and is already annoying me with that smug "I am off for the summer" look about her! Just spent a weeks vacation with the fam. Trying to get them all in before they are too old. Although, I am thinking if I continue to foot the entire bill, they may still go in vacation every year!

A little tip for college that is easy and may save a little aggravation down the road. Have your boys take a personality test. There is a Myers- Briggs test you can take on-line for free. Just google personality tests and a few different versions will pop up. It is just a survey of what they like to do and certain preferences. You can even take it yourself to check it out. The end result is it groups you in one of sixteen personality groups. Sometimes it may pick two groups instead of one. For each personality group, it lists a description of their likes and dislikes and you should be able to identify fairly easily if that matches your son. Then for each group it lists which careers match their interests and then you can find which colleges offer the majors for those careers. My two oldest, it hit right on, it described them to a t. My youngest has one group that had architects and a second group that had engineers. He chose engineering and has been happy with it. Two of my son's good friends went to college but weren't happy with their majors. They were over the house talking about it one night two years ago watching b-ball, and I mentioned it to them. They both took the 15 minute "test" and their current majors were not close to that suggested by the test. They both switched their majors and like the new ones better, however, they won't complete their degrees until six months late because of courses they took for their previous majors, at an extra expense of about $ 8,000! For an extra 15-30 minutes to save thousands, it's well worth it!

+Quote Post
Rick
post Jun 24 2018, 08:57 AM
Post #6

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Jun 23 2018, 07:24 PM) *
VERY COOL Rick! I'm jealous. The only thing that I really know about London is to bring your wallet. The cheapest part of the trip might be the tickets.

Yeah, that's Europe. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rick
post Jun 24 2018, 09:02 AM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 23 2018, 07:46 PM) *
Ouch, is that $350 each?

Great idea spending time with the boys. Mine are 22 and 20, my daughter 24. The 22 yr old starts his job as an actuary this Monday. The youngest is entering his junior year in engineering. My daughter just finished her second year as an English teacher and is already annoying me with that smug "I am off for the summer" look about her! Just spent a weeks vacation with the fam. Trying to get them all in before they are too old. Although, I am thinking if I continue to foot the entire bill, they may still go in vacation every year!

A little tip for college that is easy and may save a little aggravation down the road. Have your boys take a personality test. There is a Myers- Briggs test you can take on-line for free. Just google personality tests and a few different versions will pop up. It is just a survey of what they like to do and certain preferences. You can even take it yourself to check it out. The end result is it groups you in one of sixteen personality groups. Sometimes it may pick two groups instead of one. For each personality group, it lists a description of their likes and dislikes and you should be able to identify fairly easily if that matches your son. Then for each group it lists which careers match their interests and then you can find which colleges offer the majors for those careers. My two oldest, it hit right on, it described them to a t. My youngest has one group that had architects and a second group that had engineers. He chose engineering and has been happy with it. Two of my son's good friends went to college but weren't happy with their majors. They were over the house talking about it one night two years ago watching b-ball, and I mentioned it to them. They both took the 15 minute "test" and their current majors were not close to that suggested by the test. They both switched their majors and like the new ones better, however, they won't complete their degrees until six months late because of courses they took for their previous majors, at an extra expense of about $ 8,000! For an extra 15-30 minutes to save thousands, it's well worth it!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely do that. My older son is going to be a sophomore in high school. The school they're in is awesome. He had an engineering course this year and is in all advanced course. He's doing AP courses next year. My father was an engineer. I'd be shocked if it didn't list him in engineering. He totally has that personality.

He's gotten straight As since 2nd grade. The end of this year he was preparing for the National Competition and still aced his finals. He was instrumental in preparing for many of the events out in Colorado. The kid is really very good. I wish I was like that i school. He also has great kids as friends. They all are at his GPA or higher. They compete for grades. smile.gif

My younger son...not so much. I mean, he's (more or less) As and Bs but tends to lose focus at times. He is very badly ADHD and that really hurts him in school at times.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 24 2018, 09:53 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Rick @ Jun 24 2018, 09:02 AM) *
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely do that. My older son is going to be a sophomore in high school. The school they're in is awesome. He had an engineering course this year and is in all advanced course. He's doing AP courses next year. My father was an engineer. I'd be shocked if it didn't list him in engineering. He totally has that personality.

He's gotten straight As since 2nd grade. The end of this year he was preparing for the National Competition and still aced his finals. He was instrumental in preparing for many of the events out in Colorado. The kid is really very good. I wish I was like that i school. He also has great kids as friends. They all are at his GPA or higher. They compete for grades. smile.gif

My younger son...not so much. I mean, he's (more or less) As and Bs but tends to lose focus at times. He is very badly ADHD and that really hurts him in school at times.

An engineering course that early? Nice! Yeah, those AP courses come in handy. My older son had 21 college credits before he took his first class. It allowed him to take a lighter course load and study for the actuarial exams while in school. He got four of them out of the way while in school.

When searching for schools for my youngest son, he was going engineering. One difference was that some schools expected you to choose what type of engineering you wanted from day one, and you got admitted to that field. If you switched, it cost you a few courses to switch disciplines. Other schools gave all engineering students an overview course, where the first engineering course gave them exposure to five engineering disciplines and the students didn't choose which field of engineering to major in until after the intro course. Depending on your son's confidence in what field he wants, knowing when you need to declare a discipline may be important.

As far as the ADHD goes, I had an ex boss that had that. He graduated Princeton pre med, became a doctor, was Emergency Department Chief at one of our hospitals. He was then promoted to a Regional Medical Director, then as Executive Director of the 400 million company. He was great to work with. The only time the ADHD came up, is that if he ever got off topic in an important meeting, I and other members of the management team had a code phrase that when he heard it, he knew he needed to get back on topic. After the company was sold, guys from corporate who worked with him for years, never knew he had ADHD. I'm sure your younger son will do well.

+Quote Post
Rick
post Jun 25 2018, 06:56 AM
Post #9

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 24 2018, 09:53 AM) *
An engineering course that early? Nice! Yeah, those AP courses come in handy. My older son had 21 college credits before he took his first class. It allowed him to take a lighter course load and study for the actuarial exams while in school. He got four of them out of the way while in school.

When searching for schools for my youngest son, he was going engineering. One difference was that some schools expected you to choose what type of engineering you wanted from day one, and you got admitted to that field. If you switched, it cost you a few courses to switch disciplines. Other schools gave all engineering students an overview course, where the first engineering course gave them exposure to five engineering disciplines and the students didn't choose which field of engineering to major in until after the intro course. Depending on your son's confidence in what field he wants, knowing when you need to declare a discipline may be important.

As far as the ADHD goes, I had an ex boss that had that. He graduated Princeton pre med, became a doctor, was Emergency Department Chief at one of our hospitals. He was then promoted to a Regional Medical Director, then as Executive Director of the 400 million company. He was great to work with. The only time the ADHD came up, is that if he ever got off topic in an important meeting, I and other members of the management team had a code phrase that when he heard it, he knew he needed to get back on topic. After the company was sold, guys from corporate who worked with him for years, never knew he had ADHD. I'm sure your younger son will do well.

Yes, the school they're in is really awesome. They are extremely-advanced. It's a charter school--one of the good ones. It's as good as any private school in the area that I don't pay extra for. smile.gif

He should graduate with enough credits for an Associate's Degree. That's one of the great things about Florida schools, they have AP courses and dual enrollment. He is taking advantage of both.

I told him to think about what he wanted to do when he gets older. And, if earning a lot of money is the goal, pick a degree where you can come out and earn money. He has gravitated towards engineering for years now and he looked at the various types of engineers and found Aerospace engineering pays well and it's something he enjoys. He's the smart one for sure.

He's always been into building/designing things. He did the Lego Robotics competition when he first came to this school He moved to Science Olympiad two years ago and loves it. He gets to work on designing things and working through problems with a group of people. He actually solved one problem they were having before the National Competition. The coach was praising him for solving it. I know I'm bragging on my son but I'm very proud of what he accomplished. Making the National Competition is a HUGE accomplishment. I didn't realize how big that thing is until we were in Colorado at the opening ceremony. It's amazing how big this event is. To make it, the kids are in the top 1% of all kids in the nation for this sort of thing. Something to be proud of.

My other son--with the ADHD--is the one I'll say will probably wind up starting up his own business and being successful. I know I've got some ADHD tendencies--not as bad as my son--and that's what I did. wink.gif Besides, look at most of the guys who run big companies. I think almost all of them have some ADHD. Look at Elon Musk. If that guy isn't ADHD I don't know what it is... smile.gif

The funny thing is, my younger son is the outgoing one--like me--and talks to everyone--like me. The teachers all love him. They all say the same things...he's brilliant, he aces all of the tests but he just doesn't do the work. In school these days, doing the work is almost as important as the tests. This is why he's A/B/C rather than all As.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 02:45 AM